• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coordinating colors

jst

Reaction score
I have to admit that I do not have a very discerning eye for color.  I have had some hard times coordinating colors and would appreciate some feedback on a few things.

1) Ties - When matching up ties with suits, is it more important that the tie coordinate with the jacket or the shirt?  Or should there be equal emphasis.  Is the best way to get out of this to wear white shirts with suits?

2) Shoes - Is it unacceptable to wear black shoes and belt with a dark navy suit?  I have avoided this in the past, but is it necessary?

3) In general I would appreciate any advice and/or tips on mixing and matching colors in any type of occasion.

Thanks...

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Matching colors is all in the details. My suggestion in all matters, is to look at the threads in the fabric and try to find colors that match/complement each other. For instance, many fabrics appear to be a single color (this is especially true with some woolen sport coats), but are in fact a blend of several colors. A more basic example is a pin stripe suit - often the pin stripes will not be simply white, but rather blue or pink or purple or what have you. This is a great time to wear a blue, pink or purple tie or shirt.

While white shirts are pretty safe and leave you only with the task of matching your tie with your jacket (unless you're wearing white on white, which, while very Ace Rothstein, is not my bag), why limit yourself to a single color? Colored and patterned dress shirts give ties a whole new dimension that many people, including myself, find very pleasing.

As for your question about black with navy, it is an oft argued question. I think it is perfectly acceptable. However, my grandfather, a very well dressed man, wore grey and navy suits every day and never wore black shoes in his life - save for formal events. If you like it, then wear it.

And as a general tip - pay less attention to matching exact colors, and look at tone and hue. If you can develop an eye for color (check out a Monet exhibit), you should be fine.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching colors is all in the details.  My suggestion in all matters, is to look at the threads in the fabric and try to find colors that match/complement each other.  For instance, many fabrics appear to be a single color (this is especially true with some woolen sport coats), but are in fact a blend of several colors.  A more basic example is a pin stripe suit - often the pin stripes will not be simply white, but rather blue or pink or purple or what have you.  This is a great time to wear a blue, pink or purple tie or shirt.

While white shirts are pretty safe and leave you only with the task of matching your tie with your jacket (unless you're wearing white on white, which, while very Ace Rothstein, is not my bag), why limit yourself to a single color?  Colored and patterned dress shirts give ties a whole new dimension that many people, including myself, find very pleasing.

As for your question about black with navy, it is an oft argued question.  I think it is perfectly acceptable.  However, my grandfather, a very well dressed man, wore grey and navy suits every day and never wore black shoes in his life - save for formal events.  If you like it, then wear it.

And as a general tip - pay less attention to matching exact colors, and look at tone and hue.  If you can develop an eye for color (check out a Monet exhibit), you should be fine.
I didn't realize it was even a topic for debate. I wouldn't wear anything but polished black shoes with a navy suit. I once wore a brown belt and brown shoes with a standard 2-button navy Canali and it looked fine, but I've always heard black is best.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, not that old chestnut again. Let's go through the options:

Navy suit,, white or pale blue shirt, plain tie and black shoes: a classic look, solid, dependable, corporate lawyer look, middle aged and a bit boring. Total message = no experimentation.

Navy suit, striped shirt, tie a bit flamboyant, dark brown (bitter chocolate) shoes in leather or suede; alternatively shoes in shell cordovan ("black cherry"). Message: I tweak things around the edges, I don't want to frighten the horses, but equally I don't want to be so awfully predictable.

Navy suit, shirt checked or striped diagonally, no tie, bright tan, sandalwood, mustard colored shoes. Message: I want to show off. Look at my shoes (they will stick out like the proverbial thumb). The components might be conventional; the way I combine is not.

Option one (very English) puts the emphasis on the suit; Option three (very fashionable in Italy at the moment) puts all the spotlight on the shoes. They have to be super, because everybody will notice the shoes first.

You pays your money, takes your choice.

davei

Reaction score
Bengal makes a very good point. To deviate from it a little
smile.gif
, you've got a lot of choices, but you should go with your gut: are you conservative, flash, or somewhere in the middle? I think most of us are somewhere in the middle, maybe leaning towards conservative at the office, and flash when stepping out. Are you sending the right message with your clothes? A good way to kill a couple of hours is to try on your clothes in different combinations. It sounds ridiculously silly, but you'll start to get an idea of what goes with what. Try the conservative banker look (plain everything) and see what that does to you in the mirror. Swap out the plain tie for a loud one; your eye is drawn to the tie, which has alot of emphasis since the rest of your outfit is relatively low key. Try on a different colored shirt, or one with a pattern, and see how that goes. You need not change everything (or get everything right) at once.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads