• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool vs Stylish

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Independent thought and aloofness from large, powerful groups (whether the right or left) has to be a criterion for cool, I think.

I think that can be true, if your looking at individuals

creativity tends to be a Liberal trait

However

I suspect that it works both ways, it can take a lot of money and organisation to produce something truly original and cool like movies/music/publishing

Organisation and money are typically Conservative traits

I also think some things unpredictably become cool by accident

Levis/workwear/haircuts etc

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he wasn't cool (as Dirty Harry?) or because he wasn't conservative (when he was talking to a chair?)

True, though, that none of them were cool because they were conservative (maybe Clint excepted, though that was more his characters than his personal politics.)

No, because Gibson is an anti-semite, Nugent is a racist, and Kid Rock just sucks.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hazard to guess a large majority of conservatives who are considered cool are silent in their conservatism.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 3.57.14 PM.png

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would hazard to guess a large majority of conservatives who are considered cool are silent in their conservatism.

Clint Eastwood isn’t. He’s but one example.

Haha…just read the preceding posts. Actually Clint was and still is a conservative. He’s not right wing by any means but is a conservative. Was elected mayor of Carmel as a republican, which knowing Carmel, is saying something.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it does and I think it's quite far from jeans. For example, this is what my dad (b. 1932) would wear on a casual day, whereas he would only wear jeans when on holiday at a beach town or some such. Think about the many degrees of separation between grey wool pressed and cuffed trousers and jeans: in between we have cords, moleskins, chinos, etc. Also, fwiw, when I wear wool trousers and a knit I almost always avoid a shirt, precisely to avoid that old man connotation (while remaining in CM by my definition).

I suppose there are other degrees of separation, but most of them aren't to my taste. I generally end up wearing jeans for something very casual, wool of varying weights and styles for most other things, and linen or light cotton only in the summer months (and begrudgingly). They may be more noticeable, I'll grant you.

The no shirt thing is interesting. Do you suppose your dad had much to do with your impression of the crewneck + shirt combo as being old manish?

Glad you brought this up as I was meaning to start a thread about it, and might still. I'm inclined to think that elegant people move from formal to casual by sliding on a single scale. But there are others (I think @dieworkwear and Foo belong to this school) who think that, roughly, CM and streetwear are just different registers. I find the latter approach runs the risk of making one look a bit costumey in both registers. Whereas I think there is street-appropriate CM and smart streetwear.

But maybe, come to think of it, they don't disagree with that last point, and so the disagreement may be more about whether a good dresser dresses in multiple registers or only one. I'm still leaning towards the single register option (though of course one may have phases, just like artists have 'a blue period', say; but good artists rarely switch between cubism and impressionism within the same week. I think something similar holds for dressing)

I agree with this. My take is that predictability is, to some extent, a necessity for good style. Someone who knows themselves and what they like, and isn't overly fond of caring what other people think, will end up looking better if they stick to their style and wear options that express their aesthetic on whatever level they choose for the day (casual or formal).

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The no shirt thing is interesting. Do you suppose your dad had much to do with your impression of the crewneck + shirt combo as being old manish?

Probably, from a causal point of view. But from a justificatory point of view one need only look around. Though, admittedly, one does see these estate agent types wearing slim dark wool trousers, tan derbies, a spread collar shirt and a thin, tight navy crewneck--I grant you that's not geriatric because of fit and colours, but it is a terrible look, reeking of the grubbiest aspects of the business world.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Though, admittedly, one does see these estate agent types wearing slim dark wool trousers, tan derbies, a spread collar shirt and a thin, tight navy crewneck--I grant you that's not geriatric because of fit and colours, but it is a terrible look, reeking of the grubbiest aspects of the business world.

That’s me! Minus the colour and model of the shoes, and the thinness and tightness of the navy crewneck :)

EDIT: Yea and the pants. I don‘t really wear slim trousers.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s me! Minus the colour and model of the shoes, and the thinness and tightness of the navy crewneck :)

Drop the shirt and, to my eye, you'll move from estate agent to what I think of a kind of 1990s Japanese architect style, or even Giorgio Armani (the person not the brand).

Hellbent

Reaction score
Drop the shirt and, to my eye, you'll move from estate agent to what I think of a kind of 1990s Japanese architect style, or even Giorgio Armani (the person not the brand).

Thanks for the tip. Well I sometimes do, but I really prefer the shirt :) I actually wear a v-neck more often.
7D820E28-CE83-4CFE-975D-776831C6572B.png

and when I wear a crewneck the collars goes on top

DD568D49-EC34-4428-82E6-97A63001FF55.png

It‘s a look I have had for many many years. One i feel comfortable with :)

not me in the photos, but cut and style of the clothes is pretty spot on.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Well I sometimes do, but I really prefer the shirt :) I actually wear a v-neck more often.
View attachment 1669959

View attachment 1670000

Rubato? I do like their stuff but note that they're not using tailored trousers in those shots.

Whereas these looks (Berg & Berg) look pretty period to me, despite the very young age of the models:

1631818255367.png
1631818318571.png

Attachments

• 1631818280032.png
    1631818280032.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 34

Hellbent

Reaction score
Rubato? I do like their stuff but note that they're not using tailored trousers in those shots.

Whereas these looks (Berg & Berg) look pretty period to me, despite the very young age of the models:

View attachment 1670018 View attachment 1670020
Indeed. Yes I‘m in gray tailored flannel or corduroy most of the time. Berg and Berg is great, I like what they are doing a lot. Jumper Needs to be a bit thicker and more substantial than in the first picture though, imho.
Also wearing a softer collar, oxford shirt or tennis shirt, makes a pretty big difference vs the suit style collar you might have referred to in the original post.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1669959

View attachment 1670000

Sweater worn very short. Belt showing. It that a style decision or something
about your build?

Hellbent

Reaction score
Sweater worn very short. Belt showing. It that a style decision or something
about your build?

A style decision made by Rubato on the shoot I imagine. Not me on the photos. Pictures more meant to illustrate the type of look (shirt, jumper and silhouette) I like to wear. I don‘t typically wear the belt like that, but sometimes I think it can look nice.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still think Wellers style is "cooler", the collar shots are a bit Ralph Lauren look book for me, nice enough for the Cricket club but your not showing up to a gig in them!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads