• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cool vs Stylish

yorkshire pud

Reaction score
I doubt very much if socks have ever influenced "cool", how would you even know what socks an Icon is wearing??? 🤣🤣

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you can’t wear OTC socks outside of a suit. It just looks all wrong and is contrary to tradition. I welcome lengthy arguments on this subject. We’ll exchange a lot of ambiguous photos.
/ducks
Fortunately I think this good-natured trolling is too implausible to take hold. I hope.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt very much if socks have ever influenced "cool", how would you even know what socks an Icon is wearing??? 🤣🤣
Here are a couple of photos that contributed to converting me to occasionally wearing vintage-style sport socks:

1631881301479.png

1631881540225.png

And here's something to rub a few people the wrong way (do not try this at home if you're not one of the world's greatest living artists):

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 14.31.19.png

Attachments

yorkshire pud

Reaction score
David Hockney is a fellow Yorkshireman, there is a really great art gallery in Saltaire (near us) which he supports with a lot of his work, he is also one of Britains biggest philanthropists, a genuinely unique and cool dude, good pick 👍

JFK was pretty cool for a politician I must say!!!
1631883244984916595340944946056.jpg
16318833117818635531837292347468.jpg
16318833859588921384352738721653.jpg

Last edited:

Hellbent

Reaction score
Sweatpants fall around the leg.
Yes you are right. And I think I will refrain from further debate on the subject. I'm sure you or someone else will find plenty of holes in my argumentation. Suffice to say I find most chino more appropriate for the other - not standing out - CM thread.
(note that I wrote 'most' and not all)

I can't imagine what trousers wouldn't, running lycra ones excepted. Also, fwiw, probably due to my Italian upbringing until very recently I didn't contemplate any socks other than OTC except when exercising. But I have to say recently I've started to occasionally wear vintage-style sports socks with some casual outfits. Though I confess that often I prefer vintage-style OTC sports socks just to be on the safe side.
Well, slim trousers maybe? I would say most RTW nowadays. Lycra could actually work due to its' stretchiness.

Good to hear you seem to have had a decent upbringing :)

Below is not in reply to radicaldog specifically:
Must admit I'm a "bit" surprised that, at least on this side of the forum, OTCs aren't seen as an absolute necessity.
And, due to my blood pressure I don't want to comment about those other things - the socks whose name must not be uttered - nooooo shoooow ....

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like how he’s using the denim shirt in that last outfit.

I think an element or at least an attribute of being stylish is understanding how to mix and blend fabrics and patterns harmoniously. The denim shirt in this case is elevated by the rest of the outfit and adds depth and interest. A blue shirt of a different cloth wouldn’t have had the same impact.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the old man look, wear OTC socks with shorts. :p
Hey, I'm 70 and not old enough for that. Well ...

Back in the late 80's ... on a hellishly hot Sunday in New York ... I showed up at St. Thomas Fifth Avenue Episcopal Church in attire similar to this photo. As my partner said, you could have heard a pin drop. In my imagination the organist (Gerre Hancock at the time) stopped the prelude with a horribly discordant sound. At least one morning-coated usher could not hide the shock. It would be fair to say I did not blend in. I learned a lesson, New York is NOT Bermuda.

BermudaShorts.jpg

EDIT: I posted this yesterday as I'd flown to New York to attend a recital at St. Thomas. I ended up seeing someone who'd been there they day I wore Bermuda shorts with a coat, tie, knee socks, and black loafers. I asked if she remembered. She didn't say a word but got a huge grin on her face.

Last edited:

Diego65

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, interesting thread; I want to share my thoughts about Cool vs Stylish. In my humble opinion, Cool is a perception that others have about any given person and involve not only the way they dress but the character itself that make seeing someone as a cool person, usually when you ask anyone to define cool, most of the time point and example, like Cary Grant, Johnny Deep, Brad Pitt, Marlon Brando, Michael Jackson, Denzel Washington, etc. I can not say I´m cool in the way we use the word. I can´t define myself as a cool person, but I can say which style of clothes or life I like. On the other hand, style is more related to a choice you make; for example, I want to dress like a rock star, rap singer or yuppy or classic or streetwear style and stylish is something I can say about me, whether or not like others are different matter.
In my humble opinion, anyone can be perceived as cool and stylish. But the difference lay in the person's taste that defines "Cool or stylish", is a matter of perception; for one person, Jonny deep could be unstylish and not cool, and in the eyes of others, can be super cool and stylish.
My two cents.

yorkshire pud

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, interesting thread; I want to share my thoughts about Cool vs Stylish. In my humble opinion, Cool is a perception that others have about any given person and involve not only the way they dress but the character itself that make seeing someone as a cool person, usually when you ask anyone to define cool, most of the time point and example, like Cary Grant, Johnny Deep, Brad Pitt, Marlon Brando, Michael Jackson, Denzel Washington, etc. I can not say I´m cool in the way we use the word. I can´t define myself as a cool person, but I can say which style of clothes or life I like. On the other hand, style is more related to a choice you make; for example, I want to dress like a rock star, rap singer or yuppy or classic or streetwear style and stylish is something I can say about me, whether or not like others are different matter.
In my humble opinion, anyone can be perceived as cool and stylish. But the difference lay in the person's taste that defines "Cool or stylish", is a matter of perception; for one person, Jonny deep could be unstylish and not cool, and in the eyes of others, can be super cool and stylish.
My two cents.
Good list, except for Michael Jackson and Johnny Depp (douchebags) 👍

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.