1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RJman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

The Dunhill bridle briefcase on RJman's list is exceptional. Tempting too.

Steven

2. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

The Dunhill bridle briefcase on RJman's list is exceptional. Tempting too.

Steven

That's from their tradition range. Made in England to a very high standard. Over priced at the BIN but good if you can pick it up at opening bid.

3. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

4. stilmacher

stilmacher Senior member

shoddy resole job too

Actually not. They have been professionally resoled by a cobbler I have been frequenting for years. He uses Rendenbach soles and does a good job. The reason why you might call this a "shoddy resole job" may be that I had only half the sole replaced and not a whole. To replace the whole sole is not really necessary every time you have worn the front part down.

As for the condition - the shoes have been returned by a forum member who bought them and wasn't happy with the them. I refunded his whole payment. Still, I think that these are beautiful shoes and that they are worth the $.

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmmm.. thats not a bad price for those silk panels, right? I wonder what I could do with them? I do have a few things that need to be reupholstered...

Just robokopped the brown marinella for some panta ties. Might kop the others. RJ, you gets a free tie when they are done, thx.

6. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

They are very nice shoes, and as it turns out just my size on that last, but I think priced much too high for used shoes with this level of wear. PM me if they don't sell for your asking and you are considering a significant price cut.

Actually not. They have been professionally resoled by a cobbler I have been frequenting for years. He uses Rendenbach soles and does a good job. The reason why you might call this a "shoddy resole job" may be that I had only half the sole replaced and not a whole. To replace the whole sole is not really necessary every time you have worn the front part down.

As for the condition - the shoes have been returned by a forum member who bought them and wasn't happy with the them. I refunded his whole payment. Still, I think that these are beautiful shoes and that they are worth the $.

7. onix

onix Senior member

FWIW, Pretty sure it was bigbris (disguised as "The Gooch") who bought this, and returned: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=208822&page=3

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

gorgeous Edward Greens 12.5 from stilmacher
    gorgeous but overpriced imo. It's hard to understand how he can call them "perfect" and then detail the damage.
    They are very nice shoes, and as it turns out just my size on that last, but I think priced much too high for used shoes with this level of wear. PM me if they don't sell for your asking and you are considering a significant price cut.
    Zach, check your PM. I actually bought these shoes and sent them back. They are in deplorable condition, water stains, sand, bent out of shape, etc. Those pics make them look serviceable, but IRL is a different story. I don't know how anyone selling on the level could label those perfect.

10. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

They are in deplorable condition, water stains, sand, bent out of shape, etc. Those pics make them look serviceable, but IRL is a different story.

I don't think the photos are doing them any favours either. I wouldn't pay $200 for those, let alone $429.

11. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

13. SpooPoker

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

15. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

Sick green Berluti's US 10.5 [​IMG]
    just click your heels three times and say "there's no place like home"

16. 518aata

518aata Senior member

Alden model 900 in 9.5C. Nothing really special about them, except that the seller states that they're shell cordovan, and implies that they're whiskey SC. I'm not sure what's "custom" about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Twenty-two bids so far.

I sent the seller a message last week, telling him/her that the model 900 is made of calfskin, not shell cordovan. I included a link to the shoe on Sky Valet's site. (http://www.skyvalet1.com/AldenDressOxfords.aspx). I also mentioned that, in my judgment, the wrinkling in the shoe was more consistent with calkskin than it was with shell.

No reply, and no change to the listing.

Assuming I'm right (am I?), per the seller's feedback, he/she has made the same "mistake" regarding shell/calfskin. (Feedback dated 9/15/09) Beware.

17. rabidawg

rabidawg Senior member

That's funny. I sent the seller a very similar message yesterday. She probably thinks there's an Atlanta conspiracy against her.

18. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

19. 518aata

518aata Senior member

That's funny. I sent the seller a very similar message yesterday. She probably thinks there's an Atlanta conspiracy against her.

Shhh! You weren't supposed to mention that!

20. rabidawg

rabidawg Senior member

Shhh! You weren't supposed to mention that!

[​IMG]