1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RJman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yes sounds strange, do they use gemming?

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, Washington has been selling shoes for 80 years, good to hear that they manage to upkeep their old school service. I know they have Chinese sales staffs to accommodate shoppers from China :)

100% agree about Lloyd. They're shoes are made in England, but they (the company / brand) is based in Japan. So somehow, they can keep the price quite reasonable. I assume they import the shoes as 'materials?' and package them in Japan?

4. nutcracker

No gemming (glued ribs), they are handsewn welted

I suppose 'Goodyear Welted' is still perceived as a sign of good quality shoes

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I may well be wrong, but I thought that Lloyd was a German company.

They are a popular shoe in upmarket department stores in Australia. Unfortunately, however, Lloyd make a few different lines and it's the cheaply-made, poor quality line that is sold in Australia, albeit at the sort of prices that would get you C&J benchgrade in most other parts of the world - cemented soles made of rubber with a leather piece stuck to the bottom, fabric lining that wears through quickly and so on.

6. nutcracker

confusing but they are completely different company. Lloyd Footwear (in Japan) sells English shoes. Some say that the Japanese owner was a fan of Lloyd Jennings shoes, and named the store after him.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

I find that Japanese stores will be reluctant to talk to me at first because they perceive that I do not speak Japanese (from being a foreigner. In Norway that would be like speaking to any black person in English. I would be deemed a racist instantly). When I speak to them in Japanese they are more helpful than I could possibly expect. I personally think it´s just a matter of language. Now, when it comes to Japanese perceiving foreigners unable to speak Japanese, I think that relates to simple stupidity, rather than intentional prejudice. I think many just don´t know any better.

Brought my girlfriend and my mum to Trading Post in Tenjin yesterday. They were more than helpful to help us. My mum didn´t find any shoes that fit (only mens), and my girlfriend wasn´t tried on 10 different pairs of Carminas. We left after an hour without buying anything, but I´m sure they´ll treat me with the same respect they always do. The only other place in Fukuoka I´ve found good shoes so far is Iwataya, and they´re a lot less friendly there. (apart from the MTO/bespoke suit store maybe). If any of you know a good place in Fukuoka for shoes, I´d love to get some tips! Specially if they have my size!

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo and would like to hit some of these stores you gents are talking about; also the Meermin store there. But last time I was there, the shoe store I visited only had sizes up to about EU 42/US 9. Any idea whether these shops carry larger sizes, up to EU 44/45?

9. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

I´m a 44.5. Wear a 10.5 E in AE, 10.5 E UK in C&J, They don´t have my size at Trading Post in Fukuoka. They have my size in Alden (10D) at big department stores. Not sure if that helps!

That being said,TP has up to 10 in AE, and should have the equivalent in other brands. They do tell me that they can order bigger sizes for me, and I´m guessing those would be from the stores in Osaka/Tokyo/Nagoya, so you might be in luck

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Usually 43 is the largest you will find with some 44s, 45s are rare in nicer shoes. Isetan Men's in Shinjuku, and Washington in Ginza tend to have more 44s than the boutiques.

11. nutcracker

+1 for Isetan Men's

Meermin store in Tokyo:

Meermin Aoyama
    Jingumae 5-51-3
    Shibuya ku, Tokyo
    TEL.03-6418-4891

12. meister

meister Senior member

:wow:

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think I'm still going to be out of luck, as I need a US 11, which is usually EU44, but sometimes a little bigger.

Last time I was there, I stopped in a store that had Japan-made shoes. Can't remember the brand, unfortunately. The salesperson brought out the largest size he had, and we had a good laugh at how much smaller it was than my foot! At least he was nice about it.

14. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

Meaning, Alden Barrie last is the only shoe that I can find my size in here. I have nothing against Alden, but it is one of many nice brands.

15. nutcracker

Just call the stores and ask beforehand for your sizes (assuming you speak Japanese). Saves you a lot of frustration

generally 'Official' boutiques tend to carry sizes across the spectrum. ie JM Weston, John Lobb, Corthay etc... and if not, they can easy have it stocked for no charge.

I've talked to the manager at Maison Corthay in Aoyama before. He said they stock til size 10-1/2, but can have larger shoes up to size 14 shipped from France.

Select stores usually can't afford stocking sizes they can't sell. Bigger stores may have larger sizes available.

I know Strasburgo stores carry Edward Green up til size UK 11 / EU 45.

16. nutcracker

double post

17. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Depending on the brand and style you may be in luck, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

18. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

We're a tad off topic here guys.

1 person likes this.
  19. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

agreed. we need more links to good stuff! Kinda enjoy Fang's booby girl, tho.

20. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Very much so ..... A Japan thread might be in order?