Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RJman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Senior member

I couldn't help but notice that those were an 11.5, just like the Edward Green Crocodile pair that were "trashed." Now that Edward Green has agreed to do the repair work on them, on top of the re-crafting, they won't be trash when they are done. I do agree, generally, that trash is trash, but sometimes trash can turn to treasure, in the right hands. I don't know how these Lobbs will look in person, but one never knows. And sometimes the real treasure is the satisfaction of restoring something that would have been, well, trashed. Another of my dad's projects, before and after: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

unreal. nice.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

4. joshmv

joshmv Well-Known Member

Very cool. I would pay to see a step-by-step guide on how he was able to do that. I'm pretty inexperienced, but I've always thought fixing up old broke down leather shoes/boots would be fun.

5. clausc

clausc Senior member

6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

That last leaves something to be desired...

7. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

8. clausc

clausc Senior member

Could be squarish, I suspected it is because of the angle of the pic. I have some TL derbys made by Grenson which are not too bad.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

9. MalfordOfLondon

10. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

the after photo is awesome.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Hmmmm. There is a strong want on these... but I have to :facepalm: at people who sell really nice/expensive shit, and cannot be bothered to take decent pics, then apologize for it in the auction. "sorry for the bad pictures"... Well, you're selling a $7,000 pair of boots. Put the fucking flash on your camera at the least. JFC..

12. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

the uppers are dried and cracking. there is nothing to be done with that. What did you see in those pics that indicated to you, "quality recraft project" BESIDES the "JL" stamp? When choosing a possible recraft pair, the uppers are paramount. if the leather is in good condition, you've got a good candidate.

Those are 1940's heels. With uppers that age, EVEN IF the uppers are uncracked, they are most often dry. That takes a loooooooong time to properly condition and care for to make wearable without tearing. It is common for a wearer to put on some NOS 40's shoes and tear the tongue off or split the heel... dryness can be "hidden" Difficulty level at this age is quite high. For this pair, nothing is hidden. The damage is quite apparent.

No, these are a for-crap candidate for a recraft. A waste of time and money.

13. MalfordOfLondon

+1 although at least he's honest: "Please send me any reasonable offers. Sorry for the bad quality pictures".

14. isshinryu101

this is a pure pipe dream. There are many ebay gems that can be attained for under $100. Don't be caught up in the "name brands".

15. isshinryu101

great job on those. Dad should be proud. Don't be fooled by the before pic. They were DIRTY & required a major cleaning. They definitely needed TLC, but were NOT dead and buried. They were NOT DRIED OUT! The Lobbs in question are over 60 years old. The leather on the vamp looks to be dry and to have developed cracks (which is a wonderful feature of many vintage Lobbs, but i won't get into that). There is no way to fix cracks. If the dryness has gone through the leather (IE the center of the leather has dried), there is no way to condition it to the point where it will not tear through with normal wear. There are a whole new set of factors when dealing with VERY OLD shoes versus BEAT UP shoes.