Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RJman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Senior member

I think it's clear that with rubber soled shoes (and shoes with Topys), sellers are more likely to be dishonest with the condition (claims of NWOB) or number of wears on the shoe ("less than 3 wears" when the uppers look to have miles of wear).

I agree that the "potential" for dishonesty is far greater with rubber soled shoes, although I don't know about sellers being "more likely to be dishonest," but those claiming that the photos clearly show wear, to include "unevenness of the footbed," I just don't see that. I guess I have been far more lucky in my online purchases since an overwhelming majority or my purchases, to include those purchased in B&S here, have been as described or much better.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

By looking at the unevenness of the footbed, one can tell that the shoes are not new, and they must have been worn for quite a bit.

If you can see all of that from the photos provided then your vision is far superior to mine. I look at the photo of the back of the heel and they look unworn to me. I look at an enlarged picture of the soles, albeit in shade, and I see no wear. [​IMG] You guys must have access to enhancement software that I sure don't have. [​IMG]

The footbed clearly looks wrinkled and indented (see the back edge pulled away and raised) with someone's heel print. I don't know enough about Lobbs to know how long it would take to do that, but that looks like more than "shop" wear for high quality shoes. Maybe he only wore them around the house, but he wore them for a long time, and likely did not use shoe trees. At least he disclosed that, however.

I would not call that "new" in my book, but just my opinion. You could look at the pictures and decide how much it matters to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156

3. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

These look a lot like the Falkirks that I own, but I'll take EGs word that they are in fact Braemers. I'm not sure if the price is too steep for recrafts, but they are certainly nice to look at. Is the 201 last basically an older version of the 202?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

These look a lot like the Falkirks that I own, but I'll take EGs word that they are in fact Braemers. I'm not sure if the price is too steep for recrafts, but they are certainly nice to look at. Is the 201 last basically an older version of the 202?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

WOW! PErhaps my first pair were in fact Braemers and not Falkirks! Mine had the metal eyelets, too.

5. onix

onix Senior member

Here is an odd pair: seems like NOS, v-cleat but made in England, size UK 7AA = US 9 Narrow [​IMG], made from Genuine Golden Gorse Grain [​IMG] :http://cgi.ebay.com/140519123937

6. guroed

guroed Well-Known Member

7. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

WOW! PErhaps my first pair were in fact Braemers and not Falkirks! Mine had the metal eyelets, too.

Mine don't have the eyelets or that little floral broguing pattern by the laces. Maybe that's the difference between a Braemer and a Falkirk [​IMG]

8. BBC

BBC Senior member

9. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

10. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Damn. Even part of the sole is alligator: Link

11. theyare

theyare Senior member

Damn, was this is a good deal on these NWOB Lobbs? Never heard of the model and couldn't find anything searching for "Borsa"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

so a lot of thoughts on the supposed condition, but nobody has ever seen the model?

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Damn. Even part of the sole is alligator: Link

Those are killer. I dont get how someone wants to sell something that costs so much money with terrible fucking pictures though.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have a pair of Zegna Couture Limited Edition gator/croc (can't remember) oxfords: they're beautiful shoes that feel solid yet light on the foot. I recommend them from a quality/construction perspective, though am not terribly fond of the captoe-styling of the ones in the link. It also seems like they've gone up in price since I got mine 2-3 years ago; I think full retail (which I didn't pay) for the ones I got was something around €6k, rather than then €8.5+k these are said to have gone for. Mine don't have the gator insert in the sole though. Still, that's one hell of an increase in full retail cost over such a short space of time. Have gators become that much rarer? [​IMG]

15. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

Have gators become that much rarer? [​IMG]
    Not here in South Florida.[​IMG]