• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool old bands most people haven't heard of

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post 'em. Please.

I'll start with The Turtles.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like old girl group pop, especially from Phil Spector. The Crystals, The Shangri-La's, Darlene Love that sort of stuff.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Honeycombs who were produced by the inimitable Joe Meek:

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a whole skew of 60's French pop and soundtracks; I loves them.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I really like old girl group pop, especially from Phil Spector. The Crystals, The Shangri-La's, Darlene Love that sort of stuff.

Originally Posted by Biscotti
I have a whole skew of 60's French pop and soundtracks; I loves them.

Post videos if they are available. That's the point of this thread.

Vito

Reaction score
The Flying Burrito Brothers specialized in country-rock. But here they are performing "Older Guys", a pop song that shows a definite Turtles influence:

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Young Marble Giants, "Salad Days"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. - ignore the video

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may never have heard of Jake Holmes, but you've heard his music.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/...dinterview.htm

DBoon

Reaction score

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Looked at me like a dying can of that commodity meat

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Association:

The Groundhogs

Procul Harum

Blood Sweat & Tears in their original incarnation

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
San Francisco's Shiver
Only one album exists as far as anyone knows, recorded in 1972.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before she joined Fleetwood Mac where she met and married John McVie, she was Christine Perfect in Chicken Shack. We ditched school in Santa Cruz and drove over to the Monterey Pops Festival to hear Country Joe and the Fish AND . . . some new group named the Jimi Hendrix Experience making their first American appearance there at the Monterey Pops Festival (You've probably heard of Jimi Hendrix by now!)
rimshot.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-aoa...eature=related Lee Michaels originally played the keyboards and sang. He wanted to stand "up front" and only sing. So, he hired my dear friend, the late Gary Davis, to take over on the keyboards. Listen to Gary on the old Hammond B2 organ while Lee sings. Mark-Almond (not to be confused with Marc Almond, the Soft Cell, Tainted Love singer) was Jon Mark and Johnny Almond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHb3...eature=related Quicksilver Messenger Service http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHOD...eature=related The Youngbloods Terry Reid, only after Terry refused the job as lead singer for some new band to be called Led Zeppelin did Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones ask Robert Plant to take the job. (Bad Career Choice for Terry?)
laugh.gif
1960s supermodel Julie Driscoll fronted for Brian Auger and the Trinity singing Indian Rope Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvcGNOjLn0 and that band's cover of Flesh Failures (Let the Sunshine In) from the musical, Hair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHycVyT5-Q ___

Nananine

Reaction score
This Heat, one of the most inventive experimental post-punk (?) bands of its time that barely had any success. Deceit is a classic album.

Destroy All Monsters, Ron Asheton's band after The Stooges and The New Order, featuring the smokin' hot Niagara Detroit.

Bark Psychosis, best known for having been the first band to be called "post-rock," although I don't know if it's a fair label. Released an album in '94 before dropping off the face of the earth and coming back ten years later. Very minimalist, meditative stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads