Cool old bands most people haven't heard of

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Post 'em. Please.

I'll start with The Turtles.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I saw The Turtles a couple of years ago.

3. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I really like old girl group pop, especially from Phil Spector. The Crystals, The Shangri-La's, Darlene Love that sort of stuff.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Honeycombs who were produced by the inimitable Joe Meek:

5. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I have a whole skew of 60's French pop and soundtracks; I loves them.

6. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

I really like old girl group pop, especially from Phil Spector. The Crystals, The Shangri-La's, Darlene Love that sort of stuff.

I have a whole skew of 60's French pop and soundtracks; I loves them.

Post videos if they are available. That's the point of this thread.

7. Vito

Vito Senior member

The Flying Burrito Brothers specialized in country-rock. But here they are performing "Older Guys", a pop song that shows a definite Turtles influence:

8. milosz

milosz Senior member

Young Marble Giants, "Salad Days"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. - ignore the video

9. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

You may never have heard of Jake Holmes, but you've heard his music.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/...dinterview.htm

10. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Looked at me like a dying can of that commodity meat

11. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

The Association:

The Groundhogs

Procul Harum

Blood Sweat & Tears in their original incarnation

12. Threak

Threak Senior member

San Francisco's Shiver
    Only one album exists as far as anyone knows, recorded in 1972.

13. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

14. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Before she joined Fleetwood Mac where she met and married John McVie, she was Christine Perfect in Chicken Shack. We ditched school in Santa Cruz and drove over to the Monterey Pops Festival to hear Country Joe and the Fish AND . . . some new group named the Jimi Hendrix Experience making their first American appearance there at the Monterey Pops Festival (You've probably heard of Jimi Hendrix by now!) [​IMG] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-aoa...eature=related Lee Michaels originally played the keyboards and sang. He wanted to stand "up front" and only sing. So, he hired my dear friend, the late Gary Davis, to take over on the keyboards. Listen to Gary on the old Hammond B2 organ while Lee sings. Mark-Almond (not to be confused with Marc Almond, the Soft Cell, Tainted Love singer) was Jon Mark and Johnny Almond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHb3...eature=related Quicksilver Messenger Service http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHOD...eature=related The Youngbloods Terry Reid, only after Terry refused the job as lead singer for some new band to be called Led Zeppelin did Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones ask Robert Plant to take the job. (Bad Career Choice for Terry?) [​IMG] 1960s supermodel Julie Driscoll fronted for Brian Auger and the Trinity singing Indian Rope Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvcGNOjLn0 and that band's cover of Flesh Failures (Let the Sunshine In) from the musical, Hair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHycVyT5-Q ___

15. Nananine

Nananine Senior member

This Heat, one of the most inventive experimental post-punk (?) bands of its time that barely had any success. Deceit is a classic album.

Destroy All Monsters, Ron Asheton's band after The Stooges and The New Order, featuring the smokin' hot Niagara Detroit.

Bark Psychosis, best known for having been the first band to be called "post-rock," although I don't know if it's a fair label. Released an album in '94 before dropping off the face of the earth and coming back ten years later. Very minimalist, meditative stuff.