1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cool non-iPhone Cellular Phones

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lemmywinks, May 9, 2010.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Back in my day, the only Google phone was the G1.

I've still got a G1. I was one of the first in Houston to have one.

Slim is right. It's an HTC phone with the "Google OS" Android.

I keep holding off on pulling the trigger on a new phone ( and I'm out of contract ).

I'm very satisfied with T-mobile as a cell phone company. And I was real close to getting a Nexus when it first came out. But I was deterred by the Google sales model. It was BS dealing with them via Email and mailing the phone back and forth to HTC for warranty issues. And it got my attention when I noticed that the manager of my local brick and mortar T-mobile store had a Nexus and didn't know how to use many of the features! Maybe I've been spoiled by the T-mobile service on the G1. It's a dated phone but they still have a G1 service group when you call 611 and they are very helpful. If the Nexus was sold directly by T-mobile I would get one immediately.

Then I saw the HTC HD2 at T-mobile. It's made by HTC and is a beautiful piece of hardware that is superior ( as hardware IMO ) to the Nexus. But the damn thing has Windows Mobile 6.5 ( which I don't like ) and will not be upgradeable to Windows Mobile 7 ( which is supposed to be a true competitor to the Android OS ). So I held off on the HTC HD2.

The plan now is to get a Sprint HTC EVO ( which is basically an improved HTC HD2, but with the latest Android OS ). It comes out in a few months. I'm kind of leery about switching to Sprint from T-mobile, but I'll do some DD and research and see if it makes sense.

My other option is to wait until this summer ( or probably till Oct. or Nov. ) and look at the new iphone which I think will be on the Verizon network. If T-mobile sold a really good Android phone directly from their company I would buy it immediately.

2. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Interesting aside, the HTC Magic/Touch was branded as a google phone here in Japan, but sold through Docomo. Big ol Google logo on the back of my gf's phone and no where do they mention HTC except in the phone code name (HT-01). Also all the TV spots and print ads called it "Google Keitai"

Also Verizon is a dickshit company. They fucked me for roaming data usage when I went to Hawaii for a week about 7 years ago. The log made no sense either, showed multiple contradictory connections. They refused to admit fault and charged me $300.

3. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Verizon is branding every Android phone they come out with the name "Droid". I'm not sure why. Maybe they think people can't remember the whole word "Android".

Google phone = Nexus One. None of the other Android phones are made for Google. In fact, some of them don't even have Google apps built in. (AT&T... I'm talking about you)

FWIW, when he asked about it being the line of "Google phones" I took that to mean phones with Google's OS i.e. Android.

4. jekyoo_style

jekyoo_style Well-Known Member

I am going to get a new phone. Not an iPhone. I'd like something kinda cool and fun.

What type of phones would I be looking at? My carrier is Verizon.

Like everyone has mentioned, definitely pick up the HTC Droid Incredible. It is currently the best Android based phone out right now and it's on Verizon. It also has very impressive hardware specs.

5. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

Yesterday I was holding an HTC Incredible in one hand and my HTC Hero (rooted with Android 2.1) in the other to do a side-by-side comparison.

The Incredible is faster with a better screen and camera for only about $99 more. Worth it!

6. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

7. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

Drop Verizon, and get the HTC Evo 4g when it comes out with Sprint in early June(Most likely the 6th). That is what I plan on doing. They have the unlimited data plan with unlimited text and unlimited mobile to mobile(with any carrier) for $70. Probably have to pay an extra fee to use the wireless hotspot feature but it seems worth it.

8. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

The HTC Evo 4G is the best Android phone available.

9. CoconutBanana

CoconutBanana Senior member

10. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Drop Verizon, and get the HTC Evo 4g when it comes out with Sprint in early June(Most likely the 6th). That is what I plan on doing. They have the unlimited data plan with unlimited text and unlimited mobile to mobile(with any carrier) for $70. Probably have to pay an extra fee to use the wireless hotspot feature but it seems worth it.

The HTC Evo 4G is the best Android phone available.

See my post above.

You guys have convinced me ( you should be in sales[​IMG] ).

The HTC EVO is for me.

Only question I have is do I buy it with the subsidized price and tie myself down to a 2 year Sprint contract?

Or do a buy it for full pop MSRP without a contract?

What are peoples opinion's of Sprint? Especially versus T-mobile.

11. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

Get a small flip phone that fits in your front pocket invisibly.

iphones and the like are geeky and anti-social, they're more a distraction than a tool.

12. airblaster503

See my post above.

You guys have convinced me ( you should be in sales[​IMG] ).

The HTC EVO is for me.

Only question I have is do I buy it with the subsidized price and tie myself down to a 2 year Sprint contract?

Or do a buy it for full pop MSRP without a contract?

What are peoples opinion's of Sprint? Especially versus T-mobile.

It really depends on your area. Personally though I believe Sprint network > T-Mobile. Out of the 4 major carriers I think T-Mobile is the worst, but then again it could just be the area I am in. As far as going with a contract or not, that is up to you. I would look into seeing if Sprint offers a 1 year contract, I know that Verizon does. This way you still get a reduced price on the phone but you aren't locked in a contract for 2 years.

13. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

Have you tried the Moto Razr?

14. Incman

Incman Senior member

Have you tried the Moto Razr?

[​IMG] it was a decent phone. I dropped mine probably 50 times during the few years I had it and it trudged on like a tank. My vote is still on the iPhone, as I easily post this reply on it while taking the bus to work. It's such an intuitive and awesome phone.

15. airblaster503

I would consider getting an iphone, if it wasn't only offered on at&t. Their network can't handle the volume of customers using the iphone. Plus they just signed another year contract with apple for the iphone exclusive. I still think the Evo 4g will be a better product.

16. Althis

Althis Senior member

I think I'm going to get the HTC Evo when it comes out. My only bit of reluctance is that it would be my first contract phone and I really don't like the idea of being sucked into a 2 year contract. The main thing that really sells it for me is the price of the plan seeing it's way less than Verizon, AT&T, etc.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for phones? I was looking at the Nokia concept phone the Aeon and that is my ideal kind of phone, very simple and compact, but alas it is only a concept and years away from reality. If anyone has any suggestions for phones, smartphone or not, I'd love to hear about them.

17. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Are you Americans really forced to get contracts? Can't you just buy the phone unlocked and go with whichever carrier offers the best rate?

18. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Are you Americans really forced to get contracts? Can't you just buy the phone unlocked and go with whichever carrier offers the best rate?

Indeed they can, but most people dont want to drop 400-600$ on a phone upfront. That and there are still 2 big CDMA carriers here, so, unlike GSM, setting up an unlocked phone is a bitch.

19. Castle

Castle Active Member

20. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

You can buy unlocked phones but then you run into network compatibility problems so it becomes kind of pointless to do it.

T-Mobile and AT&T are on GSM while Sprint and Verizon are CDMA.

Then, even between the carriers they use different frequencies for data so, while you may get voice service, you may have to rely on slower data i.e. Edge instead of 3G.