• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terminator

Reaction score
It's worth every penny. My father's in the antiquities business and got me one for Christmas a few years back. It's one of the most complimented pieces in my apartment. Excuse the mess.
View attachment 1257291

Looks great! Sorry, who’s the designer and what’s this called? The original eBay link from Greg isn’t working for me. Thanks

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think in SW&D there use to be a thread like what to buy with a budget of $$. Subsequently, is there a thread for home goods where I don’t spend $4k on a rug?

Let’s say my budget is $10k-$25K and eight rooms: family room, living room, dining room, kitchen, and 4BR. Do I need to increase my budget? Right now I don’t mind spending more on the bed and mattress but everything else I feel like whatever I can get by with.

And I’m getting offers from family to buy things like 5 piece living room sets for $2k from Ashley’s, and I just feel like it’s a big waste of money.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
10K to 25K is a huge range, and that 8-room ensemble too different to budget-lump easily.
You have 4 zones: Living/dining. Sleeping/dressing. Food storage/prep. Bathing.

Regardless, buy fewer better/higher-quality pieces that you/yours really like, piece by piece, year by year.
Make smart distinctions. IKEA/etc are fine for bookcases, in all rooms really, far less smart for couches, etc.
I do not know what Ashley's is, but if you don't like it now you'll only hate it later.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in SW&D there use to be a thread like what to buy with a budget of $$. Subsequently, is there a thread for home goods where I don’t spend $4k on a rug?

Let’s say my budget is $10k-$25K and eight rooms: family room, living room, dining room, kitchen, and 4BR. Do I need to increase my budget? Right now I don’t mind spending more on the bed and mattress but everything else I feel like whatever I can get by with.

And I’m getting offers from family to buy things like 5 piece living room sets for $2k from Ashley’s, and I just feel like it’s a big waste of money.

Idk where you live, but craigslist near major cities is usually teeming with lightly used high quality furniture. You have to know what you’re looking for and what brands have staying power. But people are moving in and out so frequently, often into small living spaces, that they have to discard nice stuff quickly.

I would stay away from anything with fabric cause who knows what could hide in there, but side tables, shelving, lounge chairs, dining tables, and such are easy to find.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Is it any cheaper to buy Danish light fixtures in Europe? $1000 a pop adds up quickly when there are a lot of fixtures to buy.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it any cheaper to buy Danish light fixtures in Europe? $1000 a pop adds up quickly when there are a lot of fixtures to buy.
Well, voltage differences + shipping costs + possible import taxes + possible damage in transit + are the warranty/service valid in USA + exchange rate?

You would have to more completely research the specific items and totals both sides of the Atlantic before knowing.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I searched the thread but didn't find much, so...

Anyone have thoughts on outdoor furniture?

We're in the beginning stages of re-doing our backyard. It's a pretty large project (we have a terraced backyard with a couple different gardens) so there are opportunities to intermix different designs and pieces throughout. My default is MCM, but my wife insists on more comfortable options, particularly for the patio, where we spend a lot of time with guests.

Right now we need a comfortable coach/set for the patio (I'm thinking Hay Hee lounge chairs for additional seating) and a couple lounge/chaise/Adirondack options for the fire pit and garden areas.

Any recommendations? Doesn't necessarily need to be fancy, either. Thanks!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at Adirondack chairs?
Just need to be aware that depending on their position and colors, they carry a secret meaning.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like the look of the Hay Hee lounge chairs and are looking for a couch too, I'd suggest the Fermob Sixties collection, which has both a couch and lounge chairs. I find them more comfortable than the Hee chairs. They are well made and very durable for the outdoors. Fermob also has considerably more color options than Hay with lots of opportunities to mix and match colors with side tables. I think the Cocotte tables work with the Sixties chairs and couch.

If you like the Adirondack vibe, I'd suggest looking at Loll Designs for a modern take on that style.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched the thread but didn't find much, so...

Anyone have thoughts on outdoor furniture?

We're in the beginning stages of re-doing our backyard. It's a pretty large project (we have a terraced backyard with a couple different gardens) so there are opportunities to intermix different designs and pieces throughout. My default is MCM, but my wife insists on more comfortable options, particularly for the patio, where we spend a lot of time with guests.

Right now we need a comfortable coach/set for the patio (I'm thinking Hay Hee lounge chairs for additional seating) and a couple lounge/chaise/Adirondack options for the fire pit and garden areas.

Any recommendations? Doesn't necessarily need to be fancy, either. Thanks!

Some thingsI have taken into consideration as I build on each year.

Trees: If your furniture is under trees they get dirtier then on their own.
Grass: if you have it on top of grass, when it gets cut it sticks to the legs.
Cushions: tend to be more comfortable, but then you have to worry about rain.
Color: Darker colors depending on material retain a bit of heat in the sun if getting out of pool.
Spacing: between the mesh or strings changes comfort level from Swim / shorts to dressed.
Seasons: seating in summer as opposed to fall and spring.
Tables: for serving / lounging

---------
I started with Schultz 1966 collection in white. Dining table/ chairs and lounge chairs. All in white.

I have added some sofas from West Elm with Cushions. Off white light grey.

Frank Cherry coffee tables and cubes in Magenta add the color.

I have pool area, an under tree area and an area with an Umbrella.

A second dining area for daughter and friends Saarinen round table with Bertoia chairs in different colors.

----
Some things have worked better than others, but as the spaces evolve I am learning what needs to change.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
If you like the look of the Hay Hee lounge chairs and are looking for a couch too, I'd suggest the Fermob Sixties collection, which has both a couch and lounge chairs. I find them more comfortable than the Hee chairs. They are well made and very durable for the outdoors. Fermob also has considerably more color options than Hay with lots of opportunities to mix and match colors with side tables. I think the Cocotte tables work with the Sixties chairs and couch.

If you like the Adirondack vibe, I'd suggest looking at Loll Designs for a modern take on that style.

These are all great suggestions. Thanks so much!

Some thingsI have taken into consideration as I build on each year.

Trees: If your furniture is under trees they get dirtier then on their own.
Grass: if you have it on top of grass, when it gets cut it sticks to the legs.
Cushions: tend to be more comfortable, but then you have to worry about rain.
Color: Darker colors depending on material retain a bit of heat in the sun if getting out of pool.
Spacing: between the mesh or strings changes comfort level from Swim / shorts to dressed.
Seasons: seating in summer as opposed to fall and spring.
Tables: for serving / lounging

---------
I started with Schultz 1966 collection in white. Dining table/ chairs and lounge chairs. All in white.

I have added some sofas from West Elm with Cushions. Off white light grey.

Frank Cherry coffee tables and cubes in Magenta add the color.

I have pool area, an under tree area and an area with an Umbrella.

A second dining area for daughter and friends Saarinen round table with Bertoia chairs in different colors.

----
Some things have worked better than others, but as the spaces evolve I am learning what needs to change.

Thanks a million for what you've learned along the way. I assume I'm in for a similar journey. Right now we have a crappy teak set that we've learned we'd like to avoid -- leaning more towards metal and rattan at this point.

I'll dig into these suggestions a bit more, but I appreciate the early guidance, fellas!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads