• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That PK chair in cane is beautiful. I’m going to keep that in mind for our new high desert setting.

emptym

Reaction score
While we are talking about recommendations, how about mattresses? A good friend of mine distributes furniture so I use to buy directly from her, would generally get for ~70% off MSRP and she had a very good selection of higher end traditional spring mattress (with euro / pillow top). However, with the proliferation of online mattress companies, the market has gone "too competitive" (no wonder when you are used to 70% gross margin) and they stopped selling mattresses so I now need to get one like any normal person...
On the west coast try McCroskey Matresses. Made in San Francisco, using only cotton, wool, and steel (I don’t like using polyurethane foam if I can avoid it)
+1 for avoiding artificial foams. I don't know why anyone would get one over natural latex. On Iammatt's recommendation, we got the basic European Sleepworks mattress (just latex, no coils) about 10 yrs ago, and it's been great. I've been looking at getting mattresses for our kids, and it turns out another Bay Area company makes pure latex mattresses now too, for about half the price of ES: Foamorder. There's lots of companies now making similar latex mattress with just organic latex, wool and cotton, like sleeponlatex.com. They are heavy, but not as heavy as ones with spring coils, and they last a long time.

brokencycle

Reaction score
+1 for avoiding artificial foams. I don't know why anyone would get one over natural latex. On Iammatt's recommendation, we got the basic European Sleepworks mattress (just latex, no coils) about 10 yrs ago, and it's been great. I've been looking at getting mattresses for our kids, and it turns out another Bay Area company makes pure latex mattresses now too, for about half the price of ES: Foamorder. There's lots of companies now making similar latex mattress with just organic latex, wool and cotton, like sleeponlatex.com. They are heavy, but not as heavy as ones with spring coils, and they last a long time.

What is the advantage to latex? Wirecutter's top mattress recommendations aren't latex except for the "best latex" category.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply and options! I'm a big fan of the PK-22. We also contemplated Alf Svensson's Domus 1 lounge, as it's a similar design, albeit a bit more low-slung. My wife worried that not having arms would make it less practical, but the comfort endorsement may require a second look. May have to hit DSW and try it out.

The Orange Slice chair didn't pass the wife test, as she felt it was a bit too avant-garde for our house. I disagree, but you know how that goes...

The Poltrona is intriguing. It's a bit precious at first glance, but the more I think about it, the more likely it fits the compromise bill. Have to take the idea to the boss. Thanks again!

On the trapdoor, that's the "alternate" basement access. Our house is well over 100 years old and previous owners went full Dr. Frankenstein on layout and additions. It's made for a very unique, albeit sometimes challenging, home, but I think there's a lot of charm in quirks like a random trapdoor in the office.
Thanks.
Yes, the Poltrona Frau or sim might be a good compromise for you both. It is stunning, in terms of proportions, and much nicer irl than that image shows. Incredibly comfortable.

I mentioned the "Baby Vanity Fair" above, but had not remembered the dimensions being that much smaller than the "Vanity Fair". These dimensions may help. I scaled the 2 diagrams to each other.

emptym

Reaction score
What is the advantage to latex? Wirecutter's top mattress recommendations aren't latex except for the "best latex" category.
It's a natural product, thought to be less hot, more durable, more springy, less off-gassing, better for the environment. I like thewirecutter. Their recommendations are usually better than most stuff, but they mainly recommend the best of mall-type stuff.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That PK chair in cane is beautiful. I’m going to keep that in mind for our new high desert setting.
That's the one we have, the PK-22 cane version. After ~15 years it is still incredibly comfortable, robust, with no issues. All we do is lightly "spritz" the cane with a spray water bottle every year (maybe 2x/year if one uses the heat a lot) not wet, definitely not saturated, just barely damp/moist, per Fritz Hansen advice, and the cane has not dried out. To me, the cane is the quintessential material for that chair.

One other amazing thing: the chair arrives un-assembled, but is extremely simple to put together. Everything feels "loose"; and then, as you tighten the final set screws, the entire thing snaps into integrity, and is then rock solid. Just an amazing feeling, when that thing went together. The engineering is so fine, and really stunning.

Have you seen the PK-24 chaise? That is a grail piece for me, but I have only seen one once, at an exhibition, no sitting allowed. It was incredibly elegant, 360°.

366_0_modernist_20th_century_may_2005_poul_kjaerholm_pk_24_chaise_lounge__wright_auction.jpg

fe64bc1a9eb5146cb2a29429e4217237.jpg

12kjaerholm.jpg

pk-chaise-longue-leather-15190768508pl4c.png

(In my dreams, I am reclining in one, my wife wonderful in the other.
It is a perfect summer evening. We are drinking a Spritz con Aperol.
We are done working for the day, and the light and music are beautiful.)

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I have latex bolsters that I had made up by Foam Order when they were still in the City. They’re a bit over-sized and they weigh a ridiculous amount.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive been trying to find a good quilt to use on my couch. open to recs. things that ive liked so far:

RRL

f69fddc42aadda0884fdcef3f8240123fed38572_1080x.jpg

Thompson St Studio

800w.jpeg

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like my Faribault woolen mills blanket, but they definitely have more conservative patterns than the two you posted

jeradjames

Reaction score
Similar to Thompson St Studio's
https://www.apc-us.com/collections/quilts

These are also great and solid

Not sure how durable these would be for actual use but cool if you like the sashiko style

Vegard

Reaction score
Is there a styleforum equivalent for furniture etc? Not to say this thread isn't good!

brokencycle

Reaction score
I'm now the proud owner of a set of Niels Koefoed "Lis" dining chairs. I'm excited because I've been in love with the design for a long time, but I couldn't justify the price.

I got them for a steal relative to online listings, but the seat fabric needs replacing. Any thoughts on what I should do? I'm thinking about doing a wool or other fabric rather than vinyl or leather.

6-koefoeds-hornslet-lis-teak-dining-chairs-new-upholstery-2764

Picture for reference and not the actual ones purchased.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Seriously guys, any recommendations on fabric brands or lines I should consider? Am I making a mistake going fabric?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I get something nice from Kvadrat (available through Maharam in North America) and get them professionally re-covered, unless you are very confident about doing it yourself. If you know how much you need, you can sometimes find original vintage upholstery fabrics in small quantities on ebay, but obviously the design choices are limited.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics