• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I
Might not be an option depending upon where you are, but I'm a huge fan of Gardner is MA, to the point where I had them ship one down to NYC for me:

Family owned business and all mattresses made with organic cotton. On the firm side (which I like) but some people don't. Super heavy though - literally packed with cotton. Also they last forever.

On the west coast try McCroskey Matresses. Made in San Francisco, using only cotton, wool, and steel (I don’t like using polyurethane foam if I can avoid it)

kasper007

Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions, really appreciated. A local store has a Vispring mattress at half off that's quite tempting, but it's a floor model and while I wouldn't care for pretty much any other furniture item, I'm not sure I'm totally on board sleeping on a mattress that thousands of people tried.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are talking about recommendations, how about mattresses? A good friend of mine distributes furniture so I use to buy directly from her, would generally get for ~70% off MSRP and she had a very good selection of higher end traditional spring mattress (with euro / pillow top). However, with the proliferation of online mattress companies, the market has gone "too competitive" (no wonder when you are used to 70% gross margin) and they stopped selling mattresses so I now need to get one like any normal person...

Anyway, my understanding of the online market is that there's a lot of good beds out there, but you cannot rely on any of the review sites as they are all driven by which companies give you the largest referral bonus. So it makes shopping a bit of a mess. We are looking at higher end hybrid mattresses so would appreciate any advice / recommendations, Also not wedded to buying online, but it's my understanding that the value you get is vastly superior than with any mattress / furniture store.
European Sleep Works. https://sleepworks.com/

kasper007

Reaction score
I've noticed that the 2 SF based mattress manufacturers refer to king size mattresses as "Eastern King". Really???

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As opposed to "California King," which has different dimensions.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I don't get it either. Probably just making sure that people don't get confused while shopping.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're looking in the Bay Area, but if so I'd highly recommend the Natural Mattress Store. We bought one of their hybrids about two years ago and it's been the best I've ever slept on.

enlightenment-hybrid-mattress-diagrams.jpg

Downside, they are incredibly heavy so plan on hiring movers if you need to get a Cal King up a flight of stairs!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
We're in the process of redecorating our home office and are struggling with a lounge chair. Admittedly we won't be sitting in the chair much, but the goal is to have a place to plop down and read a book with a drink. My wife wants a more classic club chair option, but I fear the space is a bit small for a classic, bulky leather chair. Right now I'm leaning towards a Risom Floating Lounge Chair, but my wife doesn't think it looks inviting enough.

I'd love to get some recommendations or thoughts on chairs that are open/minimalist enough to fit a tighter space, while also being comfortable enough to complement the cozy intent of the room. I've included an in-process picture for reference. The poster is being hung this week, but it should give a decent idea of what we're looking at. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Building my apartment one chair at a time. The lounge chair in the back is from Ikea, and not terrible for my small balcony. The one in the foreground is a Cherner repro by Kardiel. Not made of MDF. It feels very nice.

D843AB31-199F-4FBF-8F73-848A28376D6A.jpeg

I’m sure you guys will be more interested in the CH24s that are on the way.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get some recommendations or thoughts on chairs that are open/minimalist enough to fit a tighter space, while also being comfortable enough to complement the cozy intent of the room.

One of our very favorite hotels in the US puts two small scale, swivel, leather covered chairs in the corner of even the smallest rooms and they are so comfortable you want to read and relax for hours. There are small scale options that don"t have the bulk of a typical club chair and look updated. The swivel might seem a bit silly but in practice adds to the comfort and flexibility in tight areas. I would encourage you to try a good quality small scale leather version of this.

morefield-swivel-barrel-chair.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're in the process of redecorating our home office and are struggling with a lounge chair. Admittedly we won't be sitting in the chair much, but the goal is to have a place to plop down and read a book with a drink. My wife wants a more classic club chair option, but I fear the space is a bit small for a classic, bulky leather chair. Right now I'm leaning towards a Risom Floating Lounge Chair, but my wife doesn't think it looks inviting enough.

I'd love to get some recommendations or thoughts on chairs that are open/minimalist enough to fit a tighter space, while also being comfortable enough to complement the cozy intent of the room. I've included an in-process picture for reference. The poster is being hung this week, but it should give a decent idea of what we're looking at. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

View attachment 1207192
Your wife may be right. I really adore Risom, but the "Risom Floating Lounge Chair" has never clicked with me.

A Poul Kjaerholm "PK-22" is beautiful, elegant, very open. Available in cane and in various colors of canvas or leather.

31913356--r7383--t1531426382--sa2eb--poul-kjaerholm-normal.jpg

A Pierre Paulin "Orange Slice" is more enveloping/"cocoonish".

classic-interior-design-fabric-cover-orange-slice.jpg_300x300.jpg

We have owned both these chairs for ~15 years; they are both supremely comfortable.

Poltrona Frau "Vanity Fair" and "Baby Vanity Fair" are wonderful too, if "modern club" is more your taste. Amazing.
images

Also look at Florence Knoll and Martin Visser if you want boxier, with deeper upholstery, etc. but not quite Le Corbusier LC3/sim. Good Vissers are really hard to find these days, though. FloKnoll are really good.

PS: What is that wood trap door thing on the floor, left?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Your wife may be right. I really adore Risom, but the "Risom Floating Lounge Chair" has never clicked with me.
A Poul Kjaerholm "PK-22" is beautiful, elegant, very open. Available in cane and in various colors of canvas or leather.

31913356--r7383--t1531426382--sa2eb--poul-kjaerholm-normal.jpg

A Pierre Paulin "Orange Slice" is more enveloping/"cocoonish".

classic-interior-design-fabric-cover-orange-slice.jpg_300x300.jpg

We have owned both these chairs for ~15 years; they are both supremely comfortable.

Poltrona Frau "Vanity Fair" and "Baby Vanity Fair" are wonderful too, if "modern club" is more your taste. Amazing.
images

Also look at Florence Knoll and Martin Visser if you want boxier, with deeper upholstery, etc. but not quite Le Corbusier LC3/sim. Good Vissers are really hard to find these days, though. FloKnoll are really good.

PS: What is that wood trap door thing on the floor, left?

Thanks so much for the reply and options! I'm a big fan of the PK-22. We also contemplated Alf Svensson's Domus 1 lounge, as it's a similar design, albeit a bit more low-slung. My wife worried that not having arms would make it less practical, but the comfort endorsement may require a second look. May have to hit DSW and try it out.

The Orange Slice chair didn't pass the wife test, as she felt it was a bit too avant-garde for our house. I disagree, but you know how that goes...

The Poltrona is intriguing. It's a bit precious at first glance, but the more I think about it, the more likely it fits the compromise bill. Have to take the idea to the boss. Thanks again!

On the trapdoor, that's the "alternate" basement access. Our house is well over 100 years old and previous owners went full Dr. Frankenstein on layout and additions. It's made for a very unique, albeit sometimes challenging, home, but I think there's a lot of charm in quirks like a random trapdoor in the office.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
One of our very favorite hotels in the US puts two small scale, swivel, leather covered chairs in the corner of even the smallest rooms and they are so comfortable you want to read and relax for hours. There are small scale options that don"t have the bulk of a typical club chair and look updated. The swivel might seem a bit silly but in practice adds to the comfort and flexibility in tight areas. I would encourage you to try a good quality small scale leather version of this.

View attachment 1207562

Thanks for the insight, Gus! I think my mental block is that I want minimalist/classic Scandinavian design, while my wife has more of an English Countryside lean. Nothing wrong with that, obviously, but we're not going to fit a tufted leather club chair in a light, airy room. Your suggestion is a nice compromise. I'm going to dive down the "mini club chair" rabbit hole!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads