• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NycLondon

Reaction score
I worked on this exhibition...what a complete ***** when the walls and floor are already pre-tilted for you! :wink:

checklist_exhibitiondesign_ArtOfMoto-exh_ph12.jpg
The good news you don't hand those art objects any way.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's your budget?

eames rocker fits tasteless millennials vibe

Anything up to grand would be fine, assuming it would last a while and for the design bill.

Eams rocket looks neat and we’ve checked it out a few times, but I think we’re hoping for something that’s (a) more comfortable for long nursing sessions and (b) has a more natural/organic vibe.

Most of the pieces we have in that room are darker wood or leather.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Anything up to grand would be fine, assuming it would last a while and for the design bill.

Eams rocket looks neat and we’ve checked it out a few times, but I think we’re hoping for something that’s (a) more comfortable for long nursing sessions and (b) has a more natural/organic vibe.

Most of the pieces we have in that room are darker wood or leather.

We've been happy with our Ole Wanscher arm chair and rocker, and the rocker is a really pleasant place to be for a long time (in my case, playing handheld video games :embar: ). They'll all be vintage but a bit of poking around should be able to get you one under a grand.

Last edited:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Ooh - like this a lot.

Does yours have the original fabric or did you reupholster?

Ours has the original red wool fabric which is pretty tired, so we would like to reupholster sometime in the near future. It's just taken a back seat to other house stuff for the time being

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ours has the original red wool fabric which is pretty tired, so we would like to reupholster sometime in the near future. It's just taken a back seat to other house stuff for the time being

Good to know it's possible, and thanks for the recommendation.

Even if I can't find this exact model, the look of this chair is very close to what I'm going for.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been happy with our Ole Wanscher arm chair and rocker, and the rocker is a really pleasant place to be for a long time (in my case, playing handheld video games :embar: ). They'll all be vintage but a bit of poking around should be able to get you one under a grand.

Good to know it's possible, and thanks for the recommendation.

Even if I can't find this exact model, the look of this chair is very close to what I'm going for.

I've got an Ole Wanscher rocker that I am selling. The chair could use some refurbishing, like cleaning up and oiling the wood and redoing the bottom of the seat. I've had that done on a similar chair, and it's pretty reasonable to do. The rocker is totally usable now, though. It could just look nicer with a little work. I had new cushions made with Kvadrat Divina Melange a few years ago that are in good shape. The worst part of vintage chairs is the old cushions, which is why I prioritized getting new ones. I just never got around to refurbing the rest of the chair. I'd sell for a good price.

kasper007

Reaction score
While we are talking about recommendations, how about mattresses? A good friend of mine distributes furniture so I use to buy directly from her, would generally get for ~70% off MSRP and she had a very good selection of higher end traditional spring mattress (with euro / pillow top). However, with the proliferation of online mattress companies, the market has gone "too competitive" (no wonder when you are used to 70% gross margin) and they stopped selling mattresses so I now need to get one like any normal person...

Anyway, my understanding of the online market is that there's a lot of good beds out there, but you cannot rely on any of the review sites as they are all driven by which companies give you the largest referral bonus. So it makes shopping a bit of a mess. We are looking at higher end hybrid mattresses so would appreciate any advice / recommendations, Also not wedded to buying online, but it's my understanding that the value you get is vastly superior than with any mattress / furniture store.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've done 90 trial on leesa and casper (regular and high end model) and ended up going with tempurpedic proadapt.

quality wise tempurpedic is superior imo. but in terms of comfort, i think you really need to test them out yourself.

brokencycle

Reaction score
While we are talking about recommendations, how about mattresses? A good friend of mine distributes furniture so I use to buy directly from her, would generally get for ~70% off MSRP and she had a very good selection of higher end traditional spring mattress (with euro / pillow top). However, with the proliferation of online mattress companies, the market has gone "too competitive" (no wonder when you are used to 70% gross margin) and they stopped selling mattresses so I now need to get one like any normal person...

Anyway, my understanding of the online market is that there's a lot of good beds out there, but you cannot rely on any of the review sites as they are all driven by which companies give you the largest referral bonus. So it makes shopping a bit of a mess. We are looking at higher end hybrid mattresses so would appreciate any advice / recommendations, Also not wedded to buying online, but it's my understanding that the value you get is vastly superior than with any mattress / furniture store.

Last time I bought, I went to local stores and then bought from us-mattress who will tell you what the exact corresponding model.

I'm about due for a new one, and I'm torn between trying a memory foam or sticking with one of the Big S vendors.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can say I am mostly satisfied with my Leesa, except that I find it sleeps really hot. Given reviewers often say it sleeps cooler than other similar options, I am not sure what to think.

The hybrids might do better...although leesa uses the same description of "cooling top foam" on both their hybrid and foam.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've done 90 trial on leesa and casper (regular and high end model) and ended up going with tempurpedic proadapt.

quality wise tempurpedic is superior imo. but in terms of comfort, i think you really need to test them out yourself.

We bought a $300 foam mattress from Overstock for the guest bed and a Leesa for our bed. (I bought it when I was living the bachelor life for a year.) We wound up switching them because the cheap mattress was more comfortable on our bed. (Maybe because it's thicker and our bed is a platform bed.) The Leesa is definitely more comfortable on the guest bed, which is from Ikea and uses their bowed slat support system, so it has some give.

The general point of this is don't buy into the hype from the "disruptors."

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might not be an option depending upon where you are, but I'm a huge fan of Gardner is MA, to the point where I had them ship one down to NYC for me:

Family owned business and all mattresses made with organic cotton. On the firm side (which I like) but some people don't. Super heavy though - literally packed with cotton. Also they last forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads