• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have pets? We're slowly buying furniture for our new apartment, but internet searches are saying that basically anything woven or wicker/cane is a no-no with cats.

Looking at these items in particular:

Hoffman Chair
1561927245570.png

Rove Wishbone Repro Stool
1561927289109.png

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wegner paper cords are durable and tightly woven, but I can’t comment on the Rove replicas. Aren’t a lot of cat furnitures made of paper rope?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They made the bottom of the wishbone chair legs with a rounded ‘foot’ that isn’t represented in the replica.

I assume they’re doing this because they are squaring then up with a chair leg trimming machine.

It seems like such a minor detail but the rounded foot makes for a nice leg which does not need a plastic foot.

I used this detail on my own chair and it makes a more difficult build because the chair needs to sit flat right out of the glue-up process.

Replica companies seem to always delete subtle but important details that the designer found to be important in the original works.

The most important part of a round tenon chair is the assembly. The tenons must be setup in a kiln and dried at the ends to shrink it. After glue-up it slowly comes back to normal humidity and locks in tightly to the joined part. It’s very common in danish chairs that they do it exactly this way.

Last edited:

NycLondon

Reaction score
For my fellow overthinkers:

Should art be hung flush with the wall, or with a slight forward tilt?
What do great museums do?
Louvre:
louvre1.jpg
louvre2.jpg
Angled, but probably because of traditional system of display?
MMA:
MMA.jpg
Dulwich:
dulwich.jpg
Sotheby's
sothebys.jpg
MoMA photos:
moma.jpg
MLV:
MLV.jpg
Picasso:
picasso.jpg
CONCLUSIONS-traditional old masters and others are angled, modern art and photos flat.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree, modern is typically parallel to the wall with an even reveal (gap) around the back of the frame. Modern art hanging is typically done with a wall cleat at the top and a shim at the bottom if a gallery system is not used.

Gallery systems are nice for certain types of framing and often used where you'd have groups of art works hanging one atop another.

I make a fair amount of art frames, and typically my clients request wire hangers with two mounting points to minimize the tilt and make for easy installations. For mirrors or heavy art I rather use cleats or D-ring hangers. The downside to D-ring hangers are that the wall mounts must be perfect or the art won't be level and can't be easily adjusted without remounting the hardware. Cleats are more easily adjustable but require multiple mounting points in the wall and require repainting after removal.

NycLondon

Reaction score
On the theme professionals know best.
Musee d'Orsay rehung their great collection flat:
dOrsay rehang.jpg
Louvre drawings:
Louvre drawings.jpg
Lausanne:
Lausanne.jpg
Leopold:
Leopold.jpg
Zurich:
Zurich.jpg
Klee:
Klee.jpg
MAD posters done perfect (no frames!):
MAD posters.jpg
Finally, you want angle, we got it!
crazy.jpg
The famous La Palette cafe.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, regarding tilting v flat, there is no correct answer, even for museums and/or for different periods of the work. Sometimes it is simply the curator's call.

And obviously a residential living room with a ~9' ceiling and relatively shallow lxw can't be compared to a museum gallery.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really you need to show a fuller image, but I guess Caucasian. Rugs often have different patterns from kilims simply because you can do that with piled weaving techniques.

Thanks. Poking around that seems to be a good guess. Different rug, same idea below. I don't really need to know an exact match since I'm just thinking about picking something up the origin is just to help with search terms.

NycLondon

Reaction score
Really, regarding tilting v flat, there is no correct answer, even for museums and/or for different periods of the work. Sometimes it is simply the curator's call.

Indeed that is what my representative set of photos of great museums was intended to demonstrate. There are some definite trends: photos flat, posters flat. Old Masters in traditional museums angled. Impressionists: depends on the museum, the more modern the collections, flat (e.g. MOMA Paris), the more traditional, angled (MMA). Most post-WW2 art, flat. When I buy an Old Master I will let you all know what I do. In the mean time, everything is flat in my flat.

NycLondon

Reaction score
Thanks. Poking around that seems to be a good guess. Different rug, same idea below. I don't really need to know an exact match since I'm just thinking about picking something up the origin is just to help with search terms.

View attachment 1203927
That picture looks more Turkish. But still hard to tell.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed that is what my representative set of photos of great museums was intended to demonstrate. There are some definite trends: photos flat, posters flat. Old Masters in traditional museums angled. Impressionists: depends on the museum, the more modern the collections, flat (e.g. MOMA Paris), the more traditional, angled (MMA). Most post-WW2 art, flat. When I buy an Old Master I will let you all know what I do. In the mean time, everything is flat in my flat.
Sure, sometimes the reasons are technical, sometimes curatorial, sometimes whimsy. It's OK; there really are no rules.

When I buy an Old Master, it will be a poster that I thumb-tack to the wall and allow to warp.

I worked on this exhibition...what a complete ***** when the walls and floor are already pre-tilted for you! :wink:

checklist_exhibitiondesign_ArtOfMoto-exh_ph12.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads