• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're getting into the weeds here, but does using a safety bracket on a freestanding bookcase suddenly make it a fixture? (I don't think any buyer would expect to keep it, but it's technically fastened to the wall.)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. The downside is they send you a consolidated statement every year listing everything you've added and the covered value -- and this is always the "wait, I spent how much?" moment.

How do you add items?

I have collectibles insurance as well and I have to continually update my policy as I purchase new items or if the valuation changes substantially.

I don’t take the best care of them, to be honest. Our place has no climate control and while our books and art are not in direct sun neither are they in completely dark rooms either.

I collect in several areas including Beat poetry, children’s lit, and genre fiction, but most of my properly valuable books are either early first editions of “weird fiction” (HP Lovecraft and the like) or modern limited editions of science fiction and horror, especially Stephen King.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
We're getting into the weeds here, but does using a safety bracket on a freestanding bookcase suddenly make it a fixture? (I don't think any buyer would expect to keep it, but it's technically fastened to the wall.)

No.

If that were enough my grandfather’s clock and all my bookcases would be “fixtures”.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, installing a safety bracket does not revise the nature of the object.

Real weeds? "Well, persnickety buyer, the safety bracket is what is attached to the wall, technically. So, OK, you can keep those brackets if you really insist. But, Grandpa's Vitsoe units, nope...".

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t take the best care of them, to be honest. Our place has no climate control and while our books and art are not in direct sun neither are they in completely dark rooms either.
Why not? Too difficult, etc.? I guess it (excessive protection) could also become burdensome and not really part of one's life, like that ad for some burger, about "preciousness", all that?

I collect in several areas including Beat poetry, children’s lit, and genre fiction, but most of my properly valuable books are either early first editions of “weird fiction” (HP Lovecraft and the like) or modern limited editions of science fiction and horror, especially Stephen King.
You're in SF/NoCal, correct? Is the Beat work Kerouac, Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti, etc? I remember my mother (who was a modern lit translator, in many languages) used to deal with and also buy books from "New Directions Press" and "City Lights Bookstore"; does that place still exist?

I had never read King ever, until later in life. I thought it was somehow not good, but I can't recall why now; I checked out some from the library once...wow, loved it. Those discoveries that blow up our previous mis-perceptions are so enjoyable.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you add items?

I have collectibles insurance as well and O have to update my policy as I purchase new items.

I just sent a picture of the item and the purchase invoice to our account manager at the broker we use. We don't really dabble in anything that's particularly hard to value so have never had any pushback.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Good question, in fact I’ve been reconsidering how my books are stored and displayed. A couple of my most valuable books are boxed and put away for protection and I’d like to be able to have them on display. Something like a barrister case or a vitrine, as yet TBD.

Among Beat writers, I primarily collect Gary Snyder, Lew Welch and Philip Whalen. We are all Reed College alumni and Snyder was my commencement speaker. I’m very familiar with New Directions and fortunately City Lights remains a major cultural landmark to the present day.

King is super hit or miss. At his best he’s a terrific writer, at his worst he’s a bloated addled mess.

But aren’t we all.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I just sent a picture of the item and the purchase invoice to our account manager at the broker we use. We don't really dabble in anything that's particularly hard to value so have never had any pushback.

It looks like I need to get a professional appraiser to sign off on some of my updated valuations for the first time. I’ve got a few limited editions that have skyrocketed since I bought them and the prices just sound ludicrous to anyone unfamiliar with that market.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question, in fact I’ve been reconsidering how my books are stored and displayed. A couple of my most valuable books are boxed and put away for protection and I’d like to be able to have them on display. Something like a barrister case or a vitrine, as yet TBD.

Among Beat writers, I primarily collect Gary Snyder, Lew Welch and Philip Whalen. We are all Reed College alumni and Snyder was my commencement speaker. I’m very familiar with New Directions and fortunately City Lights remains a major cultural landmark to the present day.

King is super hit or miss. At his best he’s a terrific writer, at his worst he’s a bloated addled mess.

But aren’t we all.
A nice design project, to find or commission good cases for your books.

Wow, how interesting, the coincidences. I really loved Gary Snyder, and Whalen, Rexroth too, and was 99.99.99% going to college at Reed, when something happened. I really did love my visit there.

That's great to hear about ND and CL, really nice. Thanks.

I've read very few King books. Which ones do you most suggest if I can ask?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Early: The Dead Zone. Recent: Revival or 11/22/63.

I’m not a big fan of some of his most popular books, like It or The Stand. If I had to guesstimate I’d say about 1/4 to at most 1/2 of his books are worth reading, and by volume perhaps as little as 1/10th (he’s written some truly enormous stinkers).

emptym

Reaction score
Who makes this third couch?
Indeed. I own very little in the way of pricey ceramics or glass for this reason. I do collect rare books and I’ve recently been wondering if they’re sufficiently protected. The bookcases are attached to the walls but still.

I’m behind on my insurance valuation as well so the quake hits tomorrow I’m screwed.
I just hope we all survive.
...My question, "why do you need a full-length mirror there, in the dining area?", which I asked 2 or 3 times, (and even provided other suggestions) was not rhetorical at all....
He did provide the reason, here:
...I'm also looking to replace my current mirror with a ceiling to floor length mirror so the space will feel larger.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BoConcept Osaka Sofa. I've spent the last 3 or 4 days researching modern furniture after they told me my dining chairs were modern. Styleforum will be the death of me and my wallet.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At least what I was trying to say is that a floor mirror won't achieve what he wants since the dining table is blocking the bottom half. It's better to put a floor mirror in a more open space.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Think he said he designed that facade and wants it visible?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads