• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You didn't ask, but you seem open to suggestions. Would you consider changing the rug?

It feels both too small and too big for the space. The rug is too narrow and seems too small for the living area where your couch is. It looks like a lot of gap between the edges of the rug and the walls. The rug also seems too long in that it appears to span two separate areas: the living area that is anchored by the couch/wall and whatever that empty space is in front of the window.

It's hard to know the full context of your apartment with the limited pictures. However, from the picture you provided, the rug looks a bit awkward to me, almost like a giant runner. Rugs can help define spaces. I'd suggest a different size rug that doesn't extend past the wall where the couch is. Maybe a rug to define your dining area and then leaving the wood floor exposed in that open space in between.

I'd also suggest pulling the sofa off the wall just a bit. I know it's a small space and every inch counts, but giving furniture a little breathing room off the walls can really help an overall look.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn't ask, but you seem open to suggestions. Would you consider changing the rug?

It feels both too small and too big for the space. The rug is too narrow and seems too small for the living area where your couch is. It looks like a lot of gap between the edges of the rug and the walls. The rug also seems too long in that it appears to span two separate areas: the living area that is anchored by the couch/wall and whatever that empty space is in front of the window.

It's hard to know the full context of your apartment with the limited pictures. However, from the picture you provided, the rug looks a bit awkward to me, almost like a giant runner. Rugs can help define spaces. I'd suggest a different size rug that doesn't extend past the wall where the couch is. Maybe a rug to define your dining area and then leaving the wood floor exposed in that open space in between.

I'd also suggest pulling the sofa off the wall just a bit. I know it's a small space and every inch counts, but giving furniture a little breathing room off the walls can really help an overall look.

I'll take all the suggestions i can get. Here are some pics of the space to give you an idea of what I'm working with. This was the best compromise I could find for a rug given the rules of my condo board.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I never considered the table and chairs as modern when I purchased them but I get what you are saying about the mirror. I originally wanted to put a sideboard underneath the current mirror but there isn't enough space behind the tables and chairs. The floor length mirror is to bring your eyes up so the space will feel bigger to eye. A brown mirror would be to dark for the space and i want something to contrast the space. I like some of the mirrors on the hive website. Do you have anymore websites that you can think of for floor mirrors? Painted outlets are a huge pet peeve of mine which is why I purchased the colored outlets to compliment the paint color. What are you thoughts on this mirror?

View attachment 1194064

I was going with the ornate mirrors to counter balance my murphy bed. I also have small gold/champagne colored accent pieces around the house so i wanted to play off those colors. Its a small space, 500 sq ft.

View attachment 1194066

What type of couch would you propose, and how do you feel about the grey and turquoise fabric samples with the wall color? I'm thinking the BoConcept sleeper sofa fits the modern style of the chairs and table. I was hoping to put a large portrait over the couch and have the large mirror behind the table to give the space even more light.

View attachment 1194075

View attachment 1194076

View attachment 1194077
Yes, I mentioned I prefer the Bo Concepts sofa over the other one.
I think grey or blue (or a grey-blue mainly grey) will work better with that purple wall color, but not outright turquoise. Too green.

Art over the sofa is fine of course. I just think it's weird to have a mirror facing 1, and sort of 3, eaters. and showing the back of the 4th eater's head. It's not pleasant, and very distracting.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't fit a credenza, you might try a narrow console table (aka sofa table aka hall table)
+1.

A narrow, tall credenza,/hall,/console table, all higher than the dining table, and some art above that. Find some other place for the mirror, or nix it entirely, imo. Especially in that location a floor length mirror makes 0 sense.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take all the suggestions i can get. Here are some pics of the space to give you an idea of what I'm working with. This was the best compromise I could find for a rug given the rules of my condo board.

The scale of the design elements/pattern of the rug (all the small squares) really hurt that space, I think.

The room would benefit by having a much simpler, even almost completely monochrome, rug. No patterns or big scale shifts.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s a very difficult space for sure, but right now what you have in there is all over the place. I think you’d be benefited by painting the walls lighter (maybe leave an accent wall behind the table if you want) and sticking to a generally minimalist style with a few statement pieces.

I’d also get a few stools/or small end tables (eg Hay tray table) to serve as quasi-coffee table, and possibly a lightweight chair and ottoman (think Ikea Poang) if you don’t mind moving it every time you open the bed. The way you have it set up right now, you might as well just leave the bed open all the time.

To be fair, I don’t know how you use the space, but that’s what I would do to make it more flexible and be able to have some people over.

I’d probably at least change the pulls on the Murphy bed, too, but that’s personal taste.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your condo board dictates what kind of rugs you can put in your condo?

I’ve had a least one lease that required x% of the floor space to be covered by rugs, I assume to minimize noise from walking.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd lol away from that lease.

I ignored it. Feel like it's one of those things they're only going to enforce if neighbors complain. Why put in solid flooring if you're just going to require it to be covered?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Because if you force tenants to cover their solid flooring it'll last much longer.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because if you force tenants to cover their solid flooring it'll last much longer.

Honestly I wonder if it's enforceable in a lease. But most tenants don't research landlord/tenant rights before they rent, so it doesn't really matter. It's kind of like lying to kids about pee-detecting dye in the pool.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Murphy bed has a fake medieval aesthetic that is incorrigible and I would not make any attempt to “complement” it with anything.

I would stick to very minimalist furnishings when working with a small room. I like your wall colour though and would assume you have no intention of repainting it.

I think people suggesting you add extra clutter with a credenza/corridor table next to your dining table are mad. A very simple round or square mirror would be fine there:

Floor length makes no sense as the table will be blocking the lower half.

Sure, get artwork instead if you want but I never buy a piece of art just to fill a space.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Specific colors are always a bit more difficult, since they require everything else to coordinate with it and often they have historical connotations which edges one toward a given style which becomes increasingly difficult to do in contemporary buildings. Violet, green and burgundy are very commonly found in traditional interiors of historical work, for example. They tend to look best with a heavily molded wood and ornate decoration.

That said, I think it could work well if everything else begins to coordinate with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads