• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been listening to the new Bill Callahan record on repeat all morning-- "I've got the woman of my dreams. And an imitation Eames."

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started binging Frasier last night, and I can't help but think of this thread when he brags about his Corbusier lamp and Eames chair, then whines, "CAREFUL! THAT'S A WASSILY!" when they're bringing in Martin's old La-Z-Boy.

Frasier would never buy a replica (or at least never admit he did).

(And here's Frasier's apartment, redesigned for 2018.)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was no subtle “context” to anything you’ve said. You want something good but you want it cheap. Like scores of cheap people before you have deluded yourself into thinking there is some kind of nobility to your cheapness. “It’s the spirit of the original.” But it’s not. The original Wegner products were made by highly skilled Danish workers in a country with some of the highest wages in the world. In Denmark today, average people can still afford Wegner and nearly all middle class homes are filled with it alongside other MCM classics because it’s a country with a very flat income distribution. Eames products were not that different — they were never cheap and real middle class wages were much higher in the golden age of their products.

The fact you think it’s a super hero ability to assess quality from a photograph betrays exactly how little you know.
You really should learn to read better if you're so intent on firing off unfounded and/or uninformed ridiculous accusations. Comprehension is kind of critical to the cause.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of want to find a ratty eames shell chair somewhere just so I can do one of those miraculous restorations with Penetrol and a bit of wet sanding.

I think the secret is out on that though. Flippers won't let a crusty-looking shell chair sit at a thrift shop and the elementary school surplus supply has dried up. I think it is still super easy to get authentic stacking bases for cheap though...the flippers restore the shells on the school chairs and pair them with a more appealing repro base.
I haven't checked recently, but a few years ago one could drive down a certain stretch of Melrose Boulevard (Los Angeles) along several blocks of vintage stores with a bunch of stacking bases only displayed out on the sidewalks, really cheap. With shells the price jumps were ludicrous. The significant gap was pretty odd.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dont forget about the coco chanel sofa!

That one I never understand. He says it is a replica of the sofa in Coco Chanel's living room...But it just looks like some super generic sofa you'd buy at a big furniture store. Put a floral print on it and your grandma might own it.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You really learn to read better, lad. Comprehension is critical.

If you've got enough money, you can buy Kobe beef and grind it up for burgers. You can also spend excessive amounts on bent ply/metal/plastic furniture designed to be mass-produced for public spaces because you want it from the licensed manufacturer. I'm sure both are better than the plebeian offerings, but they're definitely missing the point. Since I don't have unlimited funds, I'd rather get the most bang for my buck.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That one I never understand. He says it is a replica of the sofa in Coco Chanel's living room...But it just looks like some super generic sofa you'd buy at a big furniture store. Put a floral print on it and your grandma might own it.

I mean, it kind of is.

flikr-1.jpg

This is more relevant to the discussion than you probably realized when posting it.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, it kind of is.

flikr-1.jpg

This is more relevant to the discussion than you probably realized when posting it.
Side discussion: which environment would one be more likely to go slowly insane in: Coco's LR or Frasier's?

PS:
Van Veen, what is the origin of that Lieutenant Hare image, do you know?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't remember, and now I can't find the original source through a Google Image search.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, I realize it is a replica of the real thing.

I just question why someone would see such a thing and be like "I need that"

Early 90s were weird I guess.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, I realize it is a replica of the real thing.

I just question why someone would see such a thing and be like "I need that"

Early 90s were weird I guess.

I mean, Frasier was ahead of his time. MCM wasn't an all-consuming thing in 1994, yet he had a few of the most iconic pieces. Probably couldn't go full-out MCM unless you were an architect or other rich creative.

Wait, I mean....

It's eclectic.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Side discussion: which environment would one be more likely to go slowly insane in: Coco's LR or Frasier's?

PS:

Brighten up the colors a little, and Coco's LR looks straight out of Restoration Hardware.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The set layout for Fraiser's apartment was spot on for the character. I never paid much attention to the show when it aired, given that I was a teenager, but I started watching a year or two ago and got a kick out of the first episode especially.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads