• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I never gave that must thought, but I just measured mine and the coffee table is 5 cm lower than then cushions, which works out fine, so that recommendation sounds spot on.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We gave up on a coffee table, and it was a great decision. Our son often hangs with us in the living room, and the coffee table just took up space where he plays.

We pretty much just used the coffee table to put our feet, snacks, drinks, and remote on it. We switched to a few different types of easily movable accent tables and stools that could handle all of that.

We have a Jasper Morrison cork stool. It's great! You don't have to use coasters. It's extra seating, if there's a group of people over. It's a decent height for kicking up feet.

And there are a couple of tables that are a few inches taller than the sofa cushions. You can throw a laptop on them and type at a pretty normal level. If you're eating snacks on the sofa, you can slide the tables next to you so you're not bending and reaching to the coffee table. The tables are super light, so they're easy to move based on whatever we're doing. Plus, the actual table surface is small, so it helps cut down on the clutter (magazines, books, etc.) that use to pile up on the coffee table.

It fits our lifestyle, and I don't find that the room looks particularly unusual without a coffee table anchoring everything.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the cork stool, tho it's more of a side table/extra seat for us

we sold our noguchi table over a year ago and have been coffee-table-less since then. we also have the eames low table but that's primary used as a play table for my daughter.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We didn't bother with a coffee table also because children. But in winter we put out a kotatsu (Japanese low table with a heater underneath) because it's cozy.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the idea of non-traditional "table" surfaces for the living room. Like a small side table/stool and an ottoman or something. Although, I still kinda like a big square low slab table. More visuals just for fun/discussion.

est-living-interiors-frederic-berthier-saint-germain-apartment-4-1.jpg Tribe-Studio-Apartment-Gregory-05.jpg 01-2.jpg
1-2-800x960.jpg Stephan-Weishaupt-Miami-house-Max-Zambelli-photo-Remodelista-1466x1719.jpg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We gave up on a coffee table, and it was a great decision. Our son often hangs with us in the living room, and the coffee table just took up space where he plays.

We pretty much just used the coffee table to put our feet, snacks, drinks, and remote on it. We switched to a few different types of easily movable accent tables and stools that could handle all of that.

We have a Jasper Morrison cork stool. It's great! You don't have to use coasters. It's extra seating, if there's a group of people over. It's a decent height for kicking up feet.

And there are a couple of tables that are a few inches taller than the sofa cushions. You can throw a laptop on them and type at a pretty normal level. If you're eating snacks on the sofa, you can slide the tables next to you so you're not bending and reaching to the coffee table. The tables are super light, so they're easy to move based on whatever we're doing. Plus, the actual table surface is small, so it helps cut down on the clutter (magazines, books, etc.) that use to pile up on the coffee table.

It fits our lifestyle, and I don't find that the room looks particularly unusual without a coffee table anchoring everything.

I love this idea. I find myself drawn more and more to flexible/durable/functional/modular furnishings. (Also, my wife dinged the wall moving the coffee table to do yoga.)

(Also, also... MRW I throw a cocktail party:)

Dw1gRyr.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We didn't bother with a coffee table also because children. But in winter we put out a kotatsu (Japanese low table with a heater underneath) because it's cozy.

Yes, when our kids were young we did without a coffee table in the lounge, too. However, like you, we have a kotatsu in winter - my wife insisted that we bring one over from Japan.

Both our daughter and our cat love it - the cat will disappear entirely underneath and go to sleep and it's my daughter's favourite place to nap.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting. Our kids basically lived most of their home life on our coffee table (we had a round wooden one before). Always drawing on it, putting their little books or playing with plush toys or little cars. It was basically theirs. The coffee table was also what they started cruising on before they walked.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With your wonderful skills, that's a superb reason for you to design and build your own! :thumbs-up:

Agree 100% on the museum plex; it's great.

Thank you!

I made a table for him to play on, it has a big sheet of LEGO plates. I put it out of the way in his room since I’m actually enjoying the no-coffee table setup.

There are small tables so there is a place to put your drink.

As a side note: not there there should be any rules, but is there a general consensus on coffee table height? the same height as the sofa seat? lower? higher? doesn't matter?

15-18” is typical for modern, I like them really low personally and only becuase I think they look better lower.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you like the luau? Been contemplating them for awhile but can`t get past the fact that the LED isn`t replaceable.

Amazing for patios and indoor outdoor living

Don't get drunk and leave then out overnight if the forecast calls for rain though

Actually dwr was good about that it's also a great light and with adjustments right output is always at hand

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How bright does it get? Bright enough to read by if it's nearby?

Been looking for a portable light that could go with a patio chair setup. We have some cheapie solar Ikea lanterns that look pretty but aren't bright enough for anything useful.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How bright does it get? Bright enough to read by if it's nearby?

Been looking for a portable light that could go with a patio chair setup. We have some cheapie solar Ikea lanterns that look pretty but aren't bright enough for anything useful.

It would work very well for that application I think. The max setting is quite bright. On a side table next 2 your chair you'd be fine with ,kindle or real book

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a side note: not there there should be any rules, but is there a general consensus on coffee table height? the same height as the sofa seat? lower? higher? doesn't matter?

Should be the same height or lower then your sofa seat. Otherwise it looks off visually. I once went down that road and it buged me so much I had a friend trim the tables legs down some so it was a more appropriate hight.

Edit: I'm speaking only on true coffee tables. If you are going without and bringing in small tables or stools when needed then I'd say toss the rules on this out the window.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably won’t get it anytime soon, but for Arco floor lamp alternatives I am leaning towards this Serge Mouille:

The_appartment_2_72981_l.jpg

The 3 headed one nice but I think it needs much bigger living room space.

And here’s a similar looking Mantis lamp, which I don’t like as much but 2k cheaper.

PD_1860_ENV2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads