• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He said it was a cheap knockoff, but as for the pricing. Marble should be $50-100/sq ft. And a 24x24 is small enough there could easily be remnants that would make it even cheaper.
That sounds about right, iirc.
I think for the 2 pieces, cut to 24" x 24" with edges polished, so 8sf + polishing at 192", the quotes were all over $900. It was a lot of money for us.

I would think a +/- 4' diameter + extra thickness round piece would be even more, factoring the waste, but I really don't know. But, the quotes also did feel to us to be pretty "on the fly", in that if we had gotten lucky and the yard had 2 pieces ready at 2' x 2', it would have cost a lot less.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like Chairs posted. They look to me like a kindergarten chairs. Also the design element of the front legs sticking through the seat is a terrible idea in practice, I am talking from experience.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1950s are over.

So is every other point in the past right up to 0.01 seconds ago. And yet you are one of the most prolific posters in the antiques thread, flashing your cash an any old **** by the look of it... Seriously, this isn't an argument. There are designs that work, and things that are beautiful, well-made and functional from every period in history. However, in some particular times and places, a priority was placed on reproducable and affordable quality - Denmark between the 1940s and 60s was one of these. So it's no suprise that these designs persist. The word 'cliché' is only used in this context by the kind of vapid elitists who think that one of the main functions of their interior design and furniture choices is to signal their social and economic superiority to others.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is every other point in the past right up to 0.01 seconds ago. And yet you are one of the most prolific posters in the antiques thread, flashing your cash an any old **** by the look of it... Seriously, this isn't an argument. There are designs that work, and things that are beautiful, well-made and functional from every period in history. However, in some particular times and places, a priority was placed on reproducable and affordable quality - Denmark between the 1940s and 60s was one of these. So it's no suprise that these designs persist. The word 'cliché' is only used in this context by the kind of vapid elitists who think that one of the main functions of their interior design and furniture choices is to signal their social and economic superiority to others.
It is an argument, clearly from your triggered post above.
You are making an absurd assertion that : 'Within the context of the production methods of their time, they were trying to create pieces that many people would want and use - because they work.' , if I can sort through this word salad, I'd guess that your point is: we need not mind the ubiquity of the design because it was intended to be mass produced furniture in 1950s.
I am not arguing, unlike you, for Thonet chairs because they were the first commercially mass produced and thus warrant a special place in everyone's home. Endless replication of the same thing diminishes the pleasure of owning it for some of us.

Last edited:

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've had a set of eames dowel leg side chair with a cheap saarinen-esque tulip table for 5-6 years now. i think it's about time to upgrade. had my eyes on the wishbone chairs (in oak) for quite some time. A few questions:

1. should i upgrade the table first and keep the eames chairs a bit longer, or upgrade the chairs first.
2. any medium sized dining table recs to go with oak wishbone chairs? Budget is 2k. Would prefer round for it saves space.
3. oak soaped vs oiled? From my limited knowledge soaped is more difficult to maintain, but I think I prefer soaped aesthetics.

Brian Holcombe is a woodworker not far outside of NYC who makes some really nice chairs that might be within your style criteria and budget (if you're looking for other options).

Terrazzo also makes for a cool and interesting tabletop surface. A lot of marble/granite supply companies will offer an overwhelming range of terrazzo, and sometimes have heavily discounted remnants.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brian Holcombe is a woodworker not far outside of NYC who makes some really nice chairs that might be within your style criteria and budget (if you're looking for other options).

Our very own SkinnyGoomba!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is an argument, clearly....
An "UNLIKE" button would really be one of the most beautiful, wonderful, iconic, progressive, genius
"COOL FURNITURE, DESIGN OBJECTS AND DESIDERATA"
inventions ever.

I hope someone really smart and talented develops an extremely elegant one soon...soon as in asap.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our very own SkinnyGoomba!
I do not "know" him, nor have I seen any of his work irl, but that sounds like a super recommendation. His work posted here always looks so great, so well thought-out and executed, impeccably crafted, and his posts here are also always interesting.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like Chairs posted. They look to me like a kindergarten chairs. Also the design element of the front legs sticking through the seat is a terrible idea in practice, I am talking from experience.

Meh, I've probably spent hundreds of hours in those exact chairs and have never once been bothered by the location of the legs.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, I've probably spent hundreds of hours in those exact chairs and have never once been bothered by the location of the legs.
You have a better aim than me.

P.S. If I was shopping for comfortable brand new replica chair of a classical MC design I would undoubtedly go with Cherner chair instead of all these oversold to death Scandinavian designs.

Last edited:

soender

Reaction score
While I prefer the looks of Folkestolen / J38, to Y-stolen / CH24, I feel a bit differently about comfort.
Folkestolen is great at the kitchen table for breakfast, churches, auditoriums and a minimalistic down to earth feel. Not too fancy, but good recognisable design. For meetings and long dinners, Y-stolen is more comfortable (for those who can sit comfortably in it).
That is also how they are used here in DK and all a matter of what seating arrangement you are going for.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I prefer the looks of Folkestolen / J38, to Y-stolen / CH24, I feel a bit differently about comfort.
Folkestolen is great at the kitchen table for breakfast, churches, auditoriums and a minimalistic down to earth feel. Not too fancy, but good recognisable design. For meetings and long dinners, Y-stolen is more comfortable (for those who can sit comfortably in it).
That is also how they are used here in DK and all a matter of what seating arrangement you are going for.

Agreed on the J38. I grew up with them as everyday dining chairs. Never thought they were uncomfortable. I suppose if you were really fat, you might find the top of the legs a bother, but most modern furniture doesn't suit large people very well.

The CH24 seems similarly comfortable, but I have not had nearly as much seat time in them.

From a quality perspective, much prefer Fredericia to Carl Hansen. The latter is much more focused on mass production.

soender

Reaction score
Agreed on the J38. I grew up with them as everyday dining chairs. Never thought they were uncomfortable. I suppose if you were really fat, you might find the top of the legs a bother, but most modern furniture doesn't suit large people very well.

The CH24 seems similarly comfortable, but I have not had nearly as much seat time in them.

From a quality perspective, much prefer Fredericia to Carl Hansen. The latter is much more focused on mass production.

I actually keep forgetting, that J38 are not sold by FDB Møbler anymore. Fredericia might even have produced them initially. FDB got a great portfolio, with a bunch of Børge Mogensen, Poul M Volther, Jørgen Bækmark and others in it.
If you have not seen them already, I think you will like the recent designs by Stine Weigelt. The leg detail on the table, looks super nice in person. The chair is a homage to Wegners PP250.

1f6c19ed6024241896041a97b3df9980.jpg ed3f4ceb1dd611ae6195f6ee44e55a89.jpg

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much prefer Brazilian or Italian mid century furniture designs. They have more flair, they are more comfortable and in a case of Brazilian rosewood furniture have really rich exotic wood texture and color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads