• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've had a set of eames dowel leg side chair with a cheap saarinen-esque tulip table for 5-6 years now. i think it's about time to upgrade. had my eyes on the wishbone chairs (in oak) for quite some time. A few questions:

1. should i upgrade the table first and keep the eames chairs a bit longer, or upgrade the chairs first.
2. any medium sized dining table recs to go with oak wishbone chairs? Budget is 2k. Would prefer round for it saves space.
3. oak soaped vs oiled? From my limited knowledge soaped is more difficult to maintain, but I think I prefer soaped aesthetics.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Real Saarinen with Calcutta top and keep the same chairs.

Wishbone chairs are becoming cliche not unlike Barcelona chairs.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh never considered calacatta marble, it looks quite nice.

do you recommend glossy or satin?

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh never considered calacatta marble, it looks quite nice.

do you recommend glossy or satin?
Satin aka honed. It shows stains less. I treated mine with marble sealant that allows for liquids to be spilled. Wood or plastic wojld be more practical alternatives but dont have the same visual.

brokencycle

Reaction score

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It works out because I was going to do oiled oak chair (dwr does not sell soaped) with satin marble table.

Still open to other dining table suggestions! Though calattaca marble Saarinen is very enticing but bit expensive.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Thanks. It works out because I was going to do oiled oak chair (dwr does not sell soaped) with satin marble table.

Still open to other dining table suggestions! Though calattaca marble Saarinen is very enticing but bit expensive.

You could find someone to build you a base and put the marble or a marble-look quartz top on. Probably cheaper than going to dwr.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've had this discussion before here, but people who don't want a piece of Danish MCM furniture because it's a 'cliché' don't really get what the designers of these pieces were doing. Within the context of the production methods of their time, they were trying to create pieces that many people would want and use - because they work.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've had this discussion before here, but people who don't want a piece of Danish MCM furniture because it's a 'cliché' don't really get what the designers of these pieces were doing. Within the context of the production methods of their time, they were trying to create pieces that many people would want and use - because they work.
1950s are over.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
One thing to consider re the wishbone chairs: you can’t clean the paper seats that easily. You’ll have to learn to embrace the patina.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Desiderata! Snedkersind's custom Tesla console thing. His tables/desks are pretty rad, too. I don't have a Tesla, but maybe I could throw one of these things between the seats in my pickup truck.
Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 8.00.41 PM.png

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could find someone to build you a base and put the marble or a marble-look quartz top on. Probably cheaper than going to dwr.
Doesn't he have the base already? Or did I misunderstand?

In any case, to echo your point about a marble table top (polished) the idea is great, but steveoffice, be forewarned:
I have two Knoll metal side tables, 24" x 24", that had the original plywood veneer tops. When I went to local (Los Angeles) stone-yards to price two new polished marble tops with polished edges (24" x 24" x 5/8" iirc each) I was shocked at the prices quoted. It was as if they threw out absurd numbers so as to reject my business (perhaps their intention, clearly a very small job in their realm).

A round marble top on a Tulip base looks fantastic, but really check the budget....

brokencycle

Reaction score
Doesn't he have the base already? Or did I misunderstand?

In any case, to echo your point about a marble table top (polished) the idea is great, but steveoffice, be forewarned:
I have two Knoll metal side tables, 24" x 24", that had the original plywood veneer tops. When I went to local (Los Angeles) stone-yards to price two new polished marble tops with polished edges (24" x 24" x 5/8" iirc each) I was shocked at the prices quoted. It was as if they threw out absurd numbers so as to reject my business (perhaps their intention, clearly a very small job in their realm).

A round marble top on a Tulip base looks fantastic, but really check the budget....

He said it was a cheap knockoff, but as for the pricing. Marble should be $50-100/sq ft. And a 24x24 is small enough there could easily be remnants that would make it even cheaper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads