• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an alternative and not as cliche as an eames lounge chair, around the same budget by any chance? Mid century modern is my jam.
Eero Saarinen "Womb", Pierre Paulin "Orange Slice" are common alternatives (the "Womb" is really great, but is also really huge, and needs a big space). I have a Slice, and it is much easier to fit into a room; supremely comfortable chair too. Look also at Jens Risom, Martin Visser, and Hans Wegner. Risom did some really great work for Knoll. Also of course Florence Knoll.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a media console? I have a 65" TV, so I'm thinking something 70-80" wide.

emptym

Reaction score
^I really like the Muuto boxes for that. They recently improved them and I kind of wish we had the new ones. Years ago, they didn't impress me irl and the fact that they were mdf turned me off, so I had something similar made by a local carpenter instead. But again, the new ones seem great.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a media console? I have a 65" TV, so I'm thinking something 70-80" wide.

USM Haller. I have one for my HiFi and one for the TV. You can essentially construct it however works best for you. Our TV unit is two 75cm units, 35cm deep, with AV and DVD shelves inside and a low open shelf on top for BluRay player and so on. The HiFi unit is two 50cm units, 50cm deep, with plenty of storage. It looks like this

R-O-T

054C329C-259D-4009-9DCE-F2CE48E941B3.jpeg

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tower + your music room = good times.

I found that 35 x 35 cm sections are perfect for record storage.

20181224_110916_HDR.jpg

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recognize some faces here from the bespoke clothing corners of this website. Do any of you also order custom furniture? Prices are often the in the same ballpark as high-end, pre-made furniture, but quality is often a lot higher. It's also nice to form a relationship with someone who takes great care in making fine things.

I'm really into the work of the following people, and they all do custom work...

Mike Pekovich:
Mike Pekovich box.jpg

John Reed Fox:
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.00.58 PM.png

Matt Kenney:
Matt Kenney box.jpg

And Jason Straw:
Jason Straw cabinet.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eero Saarinen "Womb", Pierre Paulin "Orange Slice" are common alternatives (the "Womb" is really great, but is also really huge, and needs a big space). I have a Slice, and it is much easier to fit into a room; supremely comfortable chair too. Look also at Jens Risom, Martin Visser, and Hans Wegner. Risom did some really great work for Knoll. Also of course Florence Knoll.

These are nice pieces, but they are also quite common and cliche in the same way the Eames lounge chair is. If one is looking to avoid looking too much like a page from the DWR catalog, need to think more outside the typical MCM box.

Contemporary designers that are organic/modernist and juxtapose well with mid-century furniture include Jasper Morrison, Antonio Criterrio, and Naoto Fukasawa. They design for top-shelf makers, so quality will be equal or superior to the MCM pieces mentioned above.

Personally, I detest retro. If you buy MCM furniture, it should be because the particular piece makes sense and stands on its own merits, not because you are trying to replicate an older era and turn your living room into a stage set. Thus, I find it is best to limit yourself to one or two classic items per room. Mix with sympathetic contemporary furniture. That way you are simply modern, and not trying to look mid-century.

Principle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can agree with the above, but if there’s any consideration to buying those pieces second hand, you’ll definitely have an easier time finding the classics. Most options are 4-10k purchases (with ottomans) new from the store.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are nice pieces, but they are also quite common and cliche in the same way the Eames lounge chair is. If one is looking to avoid looking too much like a page from the DWR catalog, need to think more outside the typical MCM box.

Contemporary designers that are organic/modernist and juxtapose well with mid-century furniture include Jasper Morrison, Antonio Criterrio, and Naoto Fukasawa. They design for top-shelf makers, so quality will be equal or superior to the MCM pieces mentioned above.

Personally, I detest retro. If you buy MCM furniture, it should be because the particular piece makes sense and stands on its own merits, not because you are trying to replicate an older era and turn your living room into a stage set. Thus, I find it is best to limit yourself to one or two classic items per room. Mix with sympathetic contemporary furniture. That way you are simply modern, and not trying to look mid-century.
Finally homedecoration Sprezzatura defined.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally homedecoration Sprezzatura defined.

Then you’ve misread me. I’m simply arguing for aesthetic and conceptial cohesion over restrospective period nostalgia.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then you’ve misread me. I’m simply arguing for aesthetic and conceptial cohesion over restrospective period nostalgia.
You mean I have to fill-in my conversation pit ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics