• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally find a bit of a cop out, as its too easy just to pick a chair from the archive and then restart the carousel. Fritz Hansen and ClassicCon used to do the exact same thing, but they have at least woken up.

I'm not saying they need to pick designers straight out of the academy, but at least pick someone without a tombstone. Fritz Hansen started working with Jaime Hayon, Cecilie Manz, Kasper Salto etc. and their pieces sell equally well as the AJ ones. So I don't see why Carl Hansen can't find some living designers, who like to do wooden pieces. Inoda+Sveje, Søren Ulrik Petersen, Christian Flindt, Hans Sandgren Jakobsen, Salto & Sigsgaard, Space Design, would all be great options and they are just a few of the danish ones.

All designers want the same thing, to sell their stuff and have it become a classic. So working with Carl Hansen etc. isn't a bad thing, it gives them an infrastructure and the ability to get their designs out to the masses, which smaller firms or one man band setups can't.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation on a good desk or table for a workspace? I decided I really like the Eiermann 1 table:
http://twentytwentyone.com/node/6301

but I can't seem to find a shop that will ship it to the US for a price that doesn't put it into a better category of desks (the EDU, eg). I like how flexible and simple the E1 is.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I need a few hanging pendant lamps for our office, which has just been fitted with new cubicles with a more modern look. We have a few informal conference areas now with standing-height worksurfaces and stools, and I'd like to make them look a bit more anchored with the use of hanging pendants above them. I also want to be able to put one of those multi-colored LED bulbs in them to be able to have some fun lighting options for various purposes; e.g. we can change the color for Opening Day, or various holidays, etc. Therefore, I like the idea of an enclosed white "balloon" lamp like a paper lantern or similar.

I'm liking the Nelson lamps:

Which pretty much fit my desires to a T. I like that it's not actually paper, making long life and cleanup easier. Just a couple of questions. In this photo, the lamp pulls hard to yellow. Is this a factor of the bulb inside it, or is the Nelson lamp actually a bit yellow-y? I really want a straight white, given my colored bulb desires.

Also, are there any other suggestions out there I should consider? I see some Nelson knockoffs around, which I probably wouldn't do, but if there were something similar and cheaper that wasn't a direct knockoff, I wouldn't mind.

Also, is there anything similar (or even different, but not hideous) that would be a more horizontal/linear format? I'm thinking for over a set of sofas that run along a wall.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finn, I haven't had a chance to reply, but we're practically in agreement for the most part.

Douglas,

I've looked at one of those lamps for the last 7 years, they're off-white and the yellow part of it is due to the light. I'd not worry about it unless your really wanting a 5000k bulb in there which will look awful on everything it shines light onto.

Everything white that has a bulb shining through it or reflecting off of it looks more yellow.

Edsal17

Reaction score
I bluer/whiter bulb will change the color of the lamp. I started out with an LED bulb in my nelson lamp, but ended up changing it out so that I could get the warm yellow-y color you see in the photo.

I need a few hanging pendant lamps for our office, which has just been fitted with new cubicles with a more modern look. We have a few informal conference areas now with standing-height worksurfaces and stools, and I'd like to make them look a bit more anchored with the use of hanging pendants above them. I also want to be able to put one of those multi-colored LED bulbs in them to be able to have some fun lighting options for various purposes; e.g. we can change the color for Opening Day, or various holidays, etc. Therefore, I like the idea of an enclosed white "balloon" lamp like a paper lantern or similar.

I'm liking the Nelson lamps:

Which pretty much fit my desires to a T. I like that it's not actually paper, making long life and cleanup easier. Just a couple of questions. In this photo, the lamp pulls hard to yellow. Is this a factor of the bulb inside it, or is the Nelson lamp actually a bit yellow-y? I really want a straight white, given my colored bulb desires.

Also, are there any other suggestions out there I should consider? I see some Nelson knockoffs around, which I probably wouldn't do, but if there were something similar and cheaper that wasn't a direct knockoff, I wouldn't mind.

Also, is there anything similar (or even different, but not hideous) that would be a more horizontal/linear format? I'm thinking for over a set of sofas that run along a wall.

Thanks for any suggestions.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions for legal bulbs for a PH4/3 pendant lamp?

I'm all out of my coveted GE Reveal incandescents, and while it appears I can still get them online, I might as well get with the future.

Bulb's not visible in the fixture, and I don't have it on a dimmer, but given the reflectors are designed around a normal 60W bulb, is a CFL or LED a better match here?

I think Ataturk has been favorable about the CREE LED bulbs, but I wonder if I'd be better off with more "lit area" in this lamp from a CFL.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an LED filament style bulb in my PH5 and it works well. They don't last quite as long as regular LEDs supposedly, but the light quality is nice (even with exposed bulbs) and it's omnidirectional.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cabinet back panels are now completed and installed into the Butler’s desk. If any were wondering my reasoning behind having fully blind dados to hold the web frames, it should now be apparent, at least, in terms of aesthetics. Having the web frames installed into blind dados allowed me to retain full thickness of the outside carcass in the view from the back of the case.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/06/23/the-butlers-desk-cabinet-back/

^^Click the above link for the full essay :)

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may as well spoiler this since you guys don't click my blog!

Built the drawers;

Built the desk and leather sliding tray

Cut in the drawer pull recesses and began finishing in shellac.

Current blog post on building the desk drawer;
https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/07/07/the-butlers-desk-desk-drawer/

Previous on building the three case drawers;
https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/06/30/the-butlers-desk-drawer-building/

Installing the stops and lock soon which will basically finish it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads