• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trunk NYC is running a sample sale. Looks worth stopping by if you are in NYC.

trnk-sample-sale

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post:
Looking for a pair of comfortable, low-profile swivel chairs - considering the Huggy at DWR - anyone have experience with these? We liked them in-store and they're leading the pack but they do need a pillow to be comfy seated all the way back, plus it's a little uncomfortable for me if I want to sit on it cross-legged
1680729131939.png

We also liked the styling and comfort of the Flynn at MG+BW (https://www.mgbwhome.com/flynn-studio-swivel-chair/2333-034T.245954.html)

FLYNN_PERF_LUXE_VELVET_CHARCOAL_FA22_SETTING.jpeg

but it's just too tall (at 33") for where we plan to put them (would obstruct sightlines and tower over the sectional w/ a 27" back height).

Ideally we'd like something like that's still relatively low profile but can actually fit both of us so something oversized in width/length would be great. Most pieces in this category are pretty plain in their appearance, it'd be nice to find something that's more thoughtfully or creatively designed. Space is modern/luxe-leaning and we'd prefer to be able to select the fabric rather than just go w/ a plain white or faux shearling since our couch has a cool stone/"latte" tone to it. Alternatively I guess we could go w/ a daybed opposite the sectional that would allow us to effectively "swivel" to face the occasionally-used TV or the rest of the room - any recs on ones which fit the above look? Is Room & Board still decent? Their Fia and Cade could work.

And as an aside - any thoughts on Rove Concepts?

Last edited:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have these in gray felt and I really like them.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have these in gray felt and I really like them.

Thanks! To clarify my wife and I sit and stare at a monitor all day for our jobs so we're looking for something less chair-like and instead something we can squirm and sit inside of in a variety of postures or configurations to read or chat w/ one another. We hate the Barrett couch we purchased for our small media room from C&B last year when we felt pressured to get something upon moving into our new home, firm and dull.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
Cross-post:
Looking for a pair of comfortable, low-profile swivel chairs - considering the Huggy at DWR - anyone have experience with these? We liked them in-store and they're leading the pack but they do need a pillow to be comfy seated all the way back, plus it's a little uncomfortable for me if I want to sit on it cross-legged
View attachment 1933613

We also liked the styling and comfort of the Flynn at MG+BW (https://www.mgbwhome.com/flynn-studio-swivel-chair/2333-034T.245954.html)

but it's just too tall (at 33") for where we plan to put them (would obstruct sightlines and tower over the sectional w/ a 27" back height).

Ideally we'd like something like that's still relatively low profile but can actually fit both of us so something oversized in width/length would be great. Most pieces in this category are pretty plain in their appearance, it'd be nice to find something that's more thoughtfully or creatively designed. Space is modern/luxe-leaning and we'd prefer to be able to select the fabric rather than just go w/ a plain white or faux shearling since our couch has a cool stone/"latte" tone to it. Alternatively I guess we could go w/ a daybed opposite the sectional that would allow us to effectively "swivel" to face the occasionally-used TV or the rest of the room - any recs on ones which fit the above look? Is Room & Board still decent? Their Fia and Cade could work.

I really miss our Pierre Paulin Ribbon Chair for this. Everyone loved sitting and squirming in it despite no one ever sitting in it quite the same way.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cross-post:
View attachment 1933613

No doubt I will catch some flack for this, but I would not spend material money at Rove and R&B, both of which sell watered down “inspired by” versions of original designs.

If you are going to spend thousands on a lounge chair and want something contemporary / modern, start by looking at the main European and American design houses: Herman Miller / Knoll, Vitra, Cappellini, Cassina, Zanotta, B&B Italia, Carl Hansen, Fredericia, PP Mobler, etc.

Alternatively, start by looking through designer portfolios for chairs you like. A few that come to mind that are well-known for more organic, non-ironic modern work include: Jasper Morrison, Barber Osgerby, Naoto Fukasawa, the Bourollec bothers, etc.

Find an interior decorator or architect friend who can email to get you ~20-40% off depending on the brand and also check prices at European online dealers that ship to the US (Mohd and Miliashop). Prices are often as much as 50% lower. Never pay US MSRP for this stuff.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any thoughts on De La Espada? These beds are gorgeous!

It’s expensive stuff compared to peers. Top
tier Danish makers charge less. Unless someone with more expertise can school on why De La Espada’s woodworking is any better than Carl Hansen’s or PP Mobler’s, I can’t make sense of the premium. Ultimately, any of the aforementioned are still factory-like production, even if very manual and high-quality.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, new living room rug:

448DF57C-822E-48D5-9BB7-82BB56F73113.jpeg

4963C1B6-B170-46FB-9E6A-CE8F0D36A11D.jpeg

It is a bit smaller than the one we are replacing and will “float” in the space created by our sofa and lounge chairs (i.e. no furniture legs will sit on it, other than the coffee table’s). Curious to see if that makes the room feel bigger, even if the furniture is no longer as integrated looking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads