• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not to everyone's taste, but I love these guys' stuff. Just arrived from our Maui trip - handblown pieces from Worcester Glassworks.

My grandparents found Bill and Sally Worcester in the PNW in the 70's, and then the Worcesters moved to Maui in '92 and opened the islands first glass studio. They sold Hot Island Glass in Makawao to their son in law years and years ago, and now their original studio mostly makes touristy type glass like waves and jellyfish etc. Not super into it.

But Bill, Sally, and their son Mike built a custom studio / ranch / bunch of houses upcountry in Kula and now basically do whatever they want to do. They also have a new, smaller studio in Sand City, CA.

Plate is Sally's - talked to her while there, she's getting on in years and losing hand strength. My parents have a giant gold/red/white plate of hers from years back. She was saying she might not be able to do plates at all anymore, which is a shame.

Bowl is Mike's, using Swedish graal technique, which involves a carved or etched layer of colored glass being reheated and incased in a clear layer of colored glass and then expanded together. Super cool light effect.

Need to find better spots in house w/ light.
20221130_190104.jpg
20221130_190114.jpg 20221130_190117.jpg
20221130_190137.jpg

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of kids, we’re furnishing a room to become a nursery. Any suggestions for rocking chairs that don’t suck? Other baby “stuff” suggestions welcome.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Speaking of kids, we’re furnishing a room to become a nursery. Any suggestions for rocking chairs that don’t suck? Other baby “stuff” suggestions welcome.

We wound up with a glider chair in the recommendation of this forum. Both the crib and glider came from Room and Board.

For a high chair we did the trip trap and we got the infant attachment which she is just transitioning out of. That allowed her to sit at the table with us which allowed us to enjoy meals together and get to see and engage.

Stroller we bought a Bugaboo Lynx. I recommend the site goodbuygear.com. They sell used stuff that they refurbish. They give you a consistent view of the condition too. The Lynx came with the infant attachment and was like $350 vs retail of $1100 or so and condition was great.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We bought a hay uchiwa with ottoman for the nursery/ kids room. My wife loved it during the breastfeeding phase, and now it’s still occasionally used to add a few hours of sleep to little ones nights if he needs one of us. Eventually it’ll move to our bedroom for reading & quiet time. No need to expose expensive chairs to kids unnecessary.

Stroller is a Dubatti with air tires as we walk a lot and wanted max comfort. The thing is large, even when folded, but it has proven its worth.

High chair is a trip trap derivative as my wife didn’t like the sliders for legs. Naturally we didn’t save any money with the replacement, which cost about as much, sigh.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We went Ikea with both the crib and high chair. Spent quite a bit on a crib mattress though which no one ever tells you is going to cost a lot. For a rocker, the company we bought from must have switched names but would recommend a wider model where parent can sit next to a child. We went narrow and would be the one big regret.

All other baby gear is really family dependent on lifestyle and one thing that works for everyone else, your kid hates.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can second the ikea crib, it’s good quality. And fwiw, their ‘high’ end mattress also tested as one of the best in an independent test here.

At least our 9 months old does well on it, which is really all you care about.

kasper007

Reaction score
Our little guy was born 53 weeks ago and I had the exact same question. Consensus seems to be to suck it up and buy an ugly glider from Pottery Barn Kids. But my wife somehow just couldn't rationalize paying a grand+ for something she didn't really like and we somehow ended up with a vintage Wegner J16, which you can imagine I was quite happy about!!. It's also one of those rare piece where you can get a vintage for a lot cheaper than a new one (we got ours from 1stdibs for just under $1K while a new one is $3.5K). Prices seem to have increased a bit on 1stdibs, but ebay still have some options under $1K.

IMO, there's a few things that are worth spending for, but keep in mind that there's also a lot that you will use for a very short time so it can really be worth trying to get some hands me down or getting some Ikea stuff. We split our time between our cottage and city townhouse and we knew that we want to move to a bigger city place this year and got a lot of "cheap" stuff for the city place. Honestly, the $29.99 Ikea high chair performs more or less the same as the Tripp Trapp we have at the cottage. Same for the crip, the entry level Ikea works perfectly for an infant / toddler.

We do a lot of walking, often in "rougher" terrain so we got the Bugaboo Fox stroller. It's a beast size wise, but runs so smootly, it's a dream to push, even on unpaved roads. It's also more of less the same price as the Uppababy Vista and while it doesn't have the same flexibility to add stuff, it's so much better made and really run smoother. We also use the bassinet that came with it for the first 2 months until little dude moved to his crib and it was perfect. the Baby Bjorn bouncer was a life saver and I highly recommend it. And a good carrier is also a must. We have an Ergobaby, but the Baby Bjorn are also very popular. But honestly, the biggest lifesaver was those velcro baby swaddle blanket. Make sure you have one or two of those day one, wrapping a perfect burrito with a swaddle blanket is a lot harder than it sounds and unwrapping was sure to wake up our little guy during our first week when we needed sleep the most.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Our little guy was born 53 weeks ago and I had the exact same question. Consensus seems to be to suck it up and buy an ugly glider from Pottery Barn Kids. But my wife somehow just couldn't rationalize paying a grand+ for something she didn't really like and we somehow ended up with a vintage Wegner J16, which you can imagine I was quite happy about!!. It's also one of those rare piece where you can get a vintage for a lot cheaper than a new one (we got ours from 1stdibs for just under $1K while a new one is $3.5K). Prices seem to have increased a bit on 1stdibs, but ebay still have some options under $1K.

IMO, there's a few things that are worth spending for, but keep in mind that there's also a lot that you will use for a very short time so it can really be worth trying to get some hands me down or getting some Ikea stuff. We split our time between our cottage and city townhouse and we knew that we want to move to a bigger city place this year and got a lot of "cheap" stuff for the city place. Honestly, the $29.99 Ikea high chair performs more or less the same as the Tripp Trapp we have at the cottage. Same for the crip, the entry level Ikea works perfectly for an infant / toddler.

We do a lot of walking, often in "rougher" terrain so we got the Bugaboo Fox stroller. It's a beast size wise, but runs so smootly, it's a dream to push, even on unpaved roads. It's also more of less the same price as the Uppababy Vista and while it doesn't have the same flexibility to add stuff, it's so much better made and really run smoother. We also use the bassinet that came with it for the first 2 months until little dude moved to his crib and it was perfect. the Baby Bjorn bouncer was a life saver and I highly recommend it. And a good carrier is also a must. We have an Ergobaby, but the Baby Bjorn are also very popular. But honestly, the biggest lifesaver was those velcro baby swaddle blanket. Make sure you have one or two of those day one, wrapping a perfect burrito with a swaddle blanket is a lot harder than it sounds and unwrapping was sure to wake up our little guy during our first week when we needed sleep the most.

+1 on the swaddles. They're awesome.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, I would not want to have a rocking chair as a permanent piece of furniture. We got a quality glider and then passed it on when the kids grew up. It is still alive and gets passed down serving new parents every few years.

kasper007

Reaction score
Meh, I would not want to have a rocking chair as a permanent piece of furniture. We got a quality glider and then passed it on when the kids grew up. It is still alive and gets passed down serving new parents every few years.
It's at the cottage and it will fit nicely in front of the fireplace once it's not needed for bedtime anymore, but I guess to each its own

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: swaddles, for sure. At three days old the maternity help send me to buy one as the little one hit himself in his sleep.
he sleeps in the same brand to this day:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read mixed things. We don't have one. She's slept through the night since 6 weeks without.

They are amazing. I've just been letting friends borrow mine nonstop since our daughter came out of it.
So far 4/4 kids have taken to it like fish to water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads