• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a couple of thoughts :

*** keep it more or less as is ( height , layout ) but fence it in with a clean board facing out , it would connect the house more firmly to the landscape and hem in the circular deck in a really dope way imho . ( looking again maybe i wouldn't 'fence' the upper part but more the stairs / lower path ... but a mixed treatment seems possible too )

- if you want to go more transparent , consider round stock for the rails or even just clean up the joinery with the elements that are already there .

i do like it as is and i think it goes well with the house and yard but i can appreciate wanting an updated finish , so i'll also note that you've got quite a bit of glass throughout so i think you could well consider alternative materials like rail . maybe google playground fence rail for ideas , those are often either pretty traditional or very forward and will give you some possibilities .

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Nice place, G. I really like the loose stone patio. I just put in a path like that.

Wire and wood can look good imo, like this:
essex-ct.jpg

I really like the looks of these minimal designs with horizontal slats, but they're not great for people with kids, and probably not up to code (ours requires a 5 or 6" ball to not be able to pass through any gaps.):
ccfed1f40fcf4f20981a934fcd63fa61.jpg

So maybe something with narrower spaces, like this would work:
20-Kirk-European-6-560x420.jpg

Or maybe a somewhat simple but interesting design, like these:
947942f39e9c3ee6fadb24ce91e4b044--patio-railing-modern-houses.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 4.22.35 PM.png
images-1.jpeg

The last one's probably better for @lefty's cabin.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. @emptym i like that second style quite a bit. I think we’re trying to keep the spirit of not obstructing the views (the current rails have tempered glass panels all around to achieve that) so the ornate designs are probably too obstructing. every time I see the wire style (like that first one you posted), I really don’t like it for that specific house in that specific setting.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
how about full glass for the railing? and ipe for the deck. maybe too minimal but you get the views. @gdl203

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our kids are not little but we have visitors all the time. I wouldn’t have those walkways 12 feet high without railing

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
“Only one”

Hope it wasn’t a far fall.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eh, it wasn't *that* high, the ground/plants underneath were soft, and kids are bouncy.

They sold it a while back, so its not easy for me to find a handy photo, but I found this photo of the guest house online which shows the main deck on the left. Looks higher than it really is...always felt really high as a kid since the ground slopes down, but probably only 5' straight down (and my elementary school playground had stuff taller than that to jump off!)

1669651155027.png

Flowerpots and a built-in bench protect most of the extended corner of the deck. The deck in front of the guest house door has a long flowerbed in lieu of a railing.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this definitely cannot work on our house - the walkways are about 12 ft above a stone patio. Kids aren't that bouncy

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put some potted plants along the edge so nobody walks too close.

At least that’s how my grandparents did it at their cottage and only one of my cousins ever fell off the deck into the ravine.

a buddy and his wife were playing fetch with their chihuahua on the rooftop deck of their condo , iirc it was more or less the third story . anyways the ball bounces over the railing or parapet or whatever and sure enough the dog goes sailing off after it , sadly had to euthanize

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this thread feels like a good home for design and architecture discussion so…

We need to redo the decking and walkways of our house. Since I’ve never really been that into the railings around it and in the stairs, I’d like to go with something different but that will keep up with the style of the house (cedar sided mid-1970s house).

View attachment 1861510 View attachment 1861511 View attachment 1861512

I’ve seen stuff online that just feels really off (metal rails, or wire stuff) but I haven’t encountered a style that makes sense for this setting. I suspect the right answer is a mix of metal and wood but I wish I could find pictures of a house with similar style/period and a deck railing that looks great, so we could use it as a basis for this reno

Any ideas?

I like the look of this mixed metal and wood deck with this house, although you not like the look:

1669671687583.png

1669671773636.png

1669671808590.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads