• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I am not quite sure how much light I need since my condo is about 680 sq feet but focused light above the dining table would be a start - I have a decent number of lamps in the living/dining so this will likely only serve to complement them.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PH5 lamp is what I have over my dinky dining table

Attachments

• PXL_20220610_230944681.jpg
    PXL_20220610_230944681.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 137

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PH4/3 for smaller table/room. Casts a wider light than the flowerpot but is visually smaller than the PH5
1655165112902.png

Doesn't have the upper shade that casts lateral light, but that's probably not necessary in a small apartment that likely has light coming from elsewhere at the same time (as opposed to a dedicated dining room where it might be your only source).

I like the flowerpot in multiples (e.g. 2 lamps hanging over a rectangular table).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And for all the lamps that have just been mentioned, scope out european ebay/etsy/etc.

Most euro sellers are willing to ship internationally and you can get a good-condition lamp for a fraction of the price they are sold for in the US.

They seem to have a lot more color variety in denmark/germany as well. Hard to find anything besides white in the PH4/3 lamps in the US.

Old/too-short cords are easy to replace on most of these as well. colorcord.com sells a ton of different cloth-covered options.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have the PH4/3 - very good value for Poulsen lights and you can even find them on sale or almost new, which is unheard of for PH5s. Yes, they are relatively common, but they are a bona fide MCM classic for a reason.

emptym

Reaction score
We wanted a couple of outdoor benches, and I considered quite a few before settling on these ones intended for athletic facilities:

Super utilitarian and look pretty good imo.
IMG_1453.jpeg

The runner up was the Emeco Run, which also has a raw aluminum seating surface, but we wanted to use these out on the grass (birthday parties, etc.), and the narrow legs of the Run would have sunk into the soil. These legs are wide and heavy (galvanized steel) so the bench is extremely stable. Plus, we saved like $3000, yet they're also made in the US, like the Emecos.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We wanted a couple outdoor benches, and I considered a few before settling on these ones intended for athletic facilities:

Super utilitarian and look pretty good imo.
View attachment 1803906
The runner up was the Emeco Run, which also has a raw aluminum seating surface, but we wanted to use these out on the grass (birthday parties, etc.), and the narrow legs of the Run would have sunk into the soil. These legs are wide and heavy (galvanized steel) so the bench is extremely stable. Plus, we saved like $3000, yet they're also made in the US, like the Emecos.

looks great… blends right in

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just discovered FloorFound (through an Interior Define email) and thought I'd share. It seems to be a platform for furniture brands to sell returned goods (in various conditions). Some of the "like new" stuff is pretty attractively discounted, and almost more importantly in this weird supply chain environment, is available to ship right away (not in 4 or 6 months)

Worth exploring for anyone in the market for furniture:

Usonian

Reaction score
I just discovered FloorFound (through an Interior Define email) and thought I'd share. It seems to be a platform for furniture brands to sell returned goods (in various conditions). Some of the "like new" stuff is pretty attractively discounted, and almost more importantly in this weird supply chain environment, is available to ship right away (not in 4 or 6 months)

Worth exploring for anyone in the market for furniture:

Thanks for this; great timing! I actually just moved cross county and am currently living in an empty apartment for now, but I found the perfect couch on this!

And this may not be a surprise to anyone, but shipping couches ain't cheap. ANYWAY.

michaellosauro

Reaction score
So, after a year of hunting and seemingly-endless heartbreak, I'm finally closing on a new home. It's a 220-year-old farmhouse in the country with a whole bunch of natural light, lots of original features, and endless opportunity. I want to accentuate the farmhouse aspect of it without looking like I furnished my entire house with Home Goods' faux-farmhouse inventory, but also with some modern (or mid-century modern) aspects. I'm looking for style inspiration or recommendations, as this thread seems to be filled with folks who have done an excellent job furnishing their homes. I'm also furnishing this house completely from scratch, so nothing is off the table.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
And this may not be a surprise to anyone, but shipping couches ain't cheap. ANYWAY.

Two short tales of shipping woes: My daughter goes to college in Boston; we're in Seattle. She started in the autumn of 2020, so right in the thick of Covid. It cost more to ship two largish boxes of clothing (~$60 each) to Boston than it did to fly her nonstop one-way (~$100.) That lasted until she came home for this summer and will be brutal come autumn (late summer) when the flights have gone way up but the freight has also continued to rise. Hallelujah she's graduating in only 3 years.

I sell furniture for a living. Two years ago I sold a local company 2 high-end desks from a manufacturer in SFCA. They ship blanket-wrapped. Just this month they wanted two more. So, I repriced everything. The desks went up 45% but the freight went from $890 (not cheap then) to $2,700. Needless to say, I'm searching for alternatives.

BTW, anecdotally, freight damage (which used to be huge issue in my industry but had been essentially 'solved' in the past dozen years or so) has skyrocketed. This seemed to start a year or so prior to Covid, but has really ratcheted up since then.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, anecdotally, freight damage (which used to be huge issue in my industry but had been essentially 'solved' in the past dozen years or so) has skyrocketed. This seemed to start a year or so prior to Covid, but has really ratcheted up since then.

I've had scientific instruments, clearly labeled "FRAGILE", show up with obvious footprints on the crates. Numerous times. Dudes DGAF.

Mujib

Reaction score
I've decided I like the architecture and style of Frasier's apartment. What's it called? I'm referring to the lighter colored wood, the stone, the built ins, the different floor levels, etc. Is there a name for this style or is it just outdated "contemporary"?

I've been looking through some of Sarah Susanka's Not So Big House books, and they feature homes in a similar style. They're not exactly craftsman even though there's lots of trim and other wood details. The emphasis is on wood details (not in white), soffits, varied ceiling heights, defined spaces as opposed to open floor plans, stone floors and fireplaces, and other such details.

jack webb

Reaction score
So, after a year of hunting and seemingly-endless heartbreak, I'm finally closing on a new home. It's a 220-year-old farmhouse in the country with a whole bunch of natural light, lots of original features, and endless opportunity. I want to accentuate the farmhouse aspect of it without looking like I furnished my entire house with Home Goods' faux-farmhouse inventory, but also with some modern (or mid-century modern) aspects. I'm looking for style inspiration or recommendations, as this thread seems to be filled with folks who have done an excellent job furnishing their homes. I'm also furnishing this house completely from scratch, so nothing is off the table.
Congratulations on your impending purchase. I love old houses, particularly when they have been updated in a way that retains their antique charm and identity. Do no violence to your property's colonial heritage. The toilet, for example, should be a bucket you empty out the window every morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads