• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a good one to stick in a corner.

Agreed. That's where I have mine. The smaller ones can also work well next to a lounge chair or bedside.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Trying this one out at home - a FJ45 in teak. Absolutely stunning (though would probably have it re-upholstered). Also very comfortable
39C45366-8ACB-4B05-8022-46D9189D4C3C.jpeg

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs for shelving systems besides Vitsoe, String, USTM, and Atlas? I'm looking to fill a living room wall in a studio apartment, nothing fancy but need enough storage for books, files, and cabinets to store/hide AV gear in. Looking to fill the space below the TV and have a bookshelf to the side. Vitsoe looks the best but string system is cheaper.

PXL_20211124_193538016.jpg

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Royal shelving system is nice but not cheap.

3C88C0D6-9EC7-4B2C-AACA-D543C75501C2.jpeg

Carl Hansen also recently resuscitated a shelving system which is very nice but also very expensive:

CF55CDA0-FDBC-4F87-88B9-69917127098E.jpeg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs for shelving systems besides Vitsoe, String, USTM, and Atlas? I'm looking to fill a living room wall in a studio apartment, nothing fancy but need enough storage for a books, files, and cabinets to store/hide cable boxes/router in. Looking to fill the space below the TV and have a bookshelf to the side. Vitsoe looks the best but string system is cheaper.

View attachment 1711036
No recommendations for shelves, but I would hang that tv a good deal lower. IME, aiming for the center of the tv to be about eye height of your seated watching position works well (similarly to how art is hung in museums).

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No recommendations for shelves, but I would hang that tv a good deal lower. IME, aiming for the center of the tv to be about eye height of your seated watching position works well (similarly to how art is hung in museums).

So I thought about it a lot when mounting the TV. The bottom edge is at my eye level, 42" H. I thought I should hang it higher than usual because it's a Frame TV and I'm gonna display art most of the time, and that it would look weird at sitting eye level as a painting.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I only use mine for films and series, so for me the ideal height for actual watching is the only concern.

Reactions: otc

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I got a new piece of TV furniture which raised my TV a few inches and I hate it.

Checking online, it actually sits closer to what several random websites suggest as optimal height for my size, but I find that now that it is higher up, it catches glare/reflections from the overhead and hanging lights in the dining area/kitchen behind it. Glare was never a problem when the TV was 6-8" lower, but now I have to get up and adjust lights because it starts to annoy my eyes after 20-30 minutes of watching.

edit: I should say, I like the furniture a lot actually--I just liked the actual TV to be on the low side (probably having the upper 2/3 or 3/4 mark at eye level). Especially since I lay down on the couch often which lowers your viewpoint even more....

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: I should say, I like the furniture a lot actually--I just liked the actual TV to be on the low side (probably having the upper 2/3 or 3/4 mark at eye level). Especially since I lay down on the couch often which lowers your viewpoint even more....

To be more specific, I'm doing the same: Eye height when seated upright at about the top 1/3 of the tv, so I still don't have to look *up* at the screen when I'm leaning further back This also leaves enough space above the tv to hang some art at a good viewing height for when you walk around the room.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recs for shelving systems besides Vitsoe, String, USTM, and Atlas? I'm looking to fill a living room wall in a studio apartment, nothing fancy but need enough storage for a books, files, and cabinets to store/hide cable boxes/router in. Looking to fill the space below the TV and have a bookshelf to the side. Vitsoe looks the best but string system is cheaper.

View attachment 1711036

Not a shelving system, but we have found this slat front cabinet to be ideal for hiding all of our internet/cable boxes, TV controls, etc., as well as books and other things. The slats allow for any signal to work without interference. This is from DWR.

IMG_7760.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BDI makes several slat front or otherwise remote-friendly pieces that are designed to fit full size a/v gear and have good ventilation sand cord organization.

Can also put a sound bar or center channel speaker inside because it doesn't block the sound

Reactions: Gus

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low TV is the way to go, at least in an apartment setting.
D9B8763A-177E-4FA3-ABA0-3E3BF038022D.jpeg

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice for my layout. It's a small studio, newish building. I'm starting from no knowledge with no previously owned furniture. For the past month I've completely exhausted myself from looking at apartmenttherapy and spamming the SF chat with questions. Didn't know this thread existed until yesterday.

PXL_20211022_211758206.jpg

PXL_20211022_211114724.jpg

PXL_20211022_211707711.jpg

I have, so far, a standing desk (uplift), steelcase leap chair, couch, rug, and the samsung frame posted earlier.

PXL_20211121_125928339.jpg
PXL_20211121_131206461.jpg

I'm looking for a bookshelf and a media console to fill the walls then perhaps a canvas of something to hide the HVAC door near my desk, then perhaps replacing the blinds.

My general thoughts are that I should get the appropriate level of furniture for this kind of space, hard to rationalize DWR or anything above West Elm . Not into design themes like MCM or Scandinavian, figure I should mix and match based on what I can find. For the immediate future I'd like to either get a shelving system like string/606 for the TV wall or mix a cheap/Ikea console with string system or 606 shelves. Since the space is so small I also don't wanna pick up random secondhand stuff cuz I can only fit so many pieces of furniture. Appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be more specific, I'm doing the same: Eye height when seated upright at about the top 1/3 of the tv, so I still don't have to look *up* at the screen when I'm leaning further back This also leaves enough space above the tv to hang some art at a good viewing height for when you walk around the room.

i think the universally accepted “best height” for optimal viewing is eye level when seated at the center of the tv, assuming the screen is not tilted.

of course there are other things to consider, which are all perfectly valid, but all of them are detrimental to optimal viewing.

edit: this will make 95% of people ask why your TV is so low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads