• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
We're looking to pair our dining table — this, in cherry — with a set of side chairs. Like everyone else on the planet, I love Wishbone chairs, but they doesn't appear to be available in cherry (and I assume, maybe wrongly, that Wegner envisioned them in oak or ash or the no-longer-available teak). Is that right? Same with the Mogensen J39, which I also quite like.

I suspect trying to match the woods is a fool's errand, anyway, and that an almost-match is the worst option of all, but I'm curious if the pairing can be made to work and which variant would be best. If not, any thoughts on what dining chairs would go well with the table?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're looking to pair our dining table — this, in cherry — with a set of side chairs. Like everyone else on the planet, I love Wishbone chairs, but they doesn't appear to be available in cherry (and I assume, maybe wrongly, that Wegner envisioned them in oak or ash or the no-longer-available teak). Is that right? Same with the Mogensen J39, which I also quite like.

I suspect trying to match the woods is a fool's errand, anyway, and that an almost-match is the worst option of all, but I'm curious if the pairing can be made to work and which variant would be best. If not, any thoughts on what dining chairs would go well with the table?

How about simple straight back armless upholstered chairs with wooden legs? We have used them in both our dinning nook and dinning room with simple wooden tables. The fabric is very comfortable and there are many fabrics designed for dining areas that are stain resistant.
IMG_7608.jpeg

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a year or more of trying to find a living room coffee table, we went with the classic Mies Van Der Rohe's chrome and glass Barcelona table. We have a lovely hand knotted large rug from Nepal, so the glass top allows us to enjoy its simple pattern and mix of neutral colors.

252-C_FZ.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My new West Elm dining table keeps getting delayed :mad:! The chairs came in, though, so I went ahead and assembled them to pair with my old table.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't try to match the color. If your table is cherry (the linked table appears to be maple), it will get dark and rich with time. Ash/hickory/beech are all good, traditional chair woods that would look nice with a cherry table. Something like the Jennie Alexander chair below might be a good fit.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The black wishbone chairs would look good with that table IMO.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I'll echo what others have said. Don't get cherry. Get something else: painted or ebonized ash wishbones would be good. Or get something else entirely like what Gus recommended.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about simple straight back armless upholstered chairs with wooden legs? We have used them in both our dinning nook and dinning room with simple wooden tables. The fabric is very comfortable and there are many fabrics designed for dining areas that are stain resistant. View attachment 1692325

We have owned various chairs and these have been the most comfortable. (the back support is remarkable) We have dinner parties where the guests will stay seated for 4-5 hours because they are so comfortable. I can't say that about any solid wood chairs that I've owned.

http://www.jessicacharles.com/Products/Detail?SKU=1109

sixstringsmash

Reaction score
Well I just discovered this thread, cool stuff! What’s everyone’s opinion on Stickley furniture around here? Just purchased my first townhouse back in June and decided to go with Stickley for the majority of my new furniture. So far I’m still waiting on pretty much… well everything really. The only piece I’ve gotten so far is this nice Gathering Island with stools for the kitchen. The only reason this one has arrived already is because it was the floor model!

ZZSgQkc.jpg

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're headed down that path, definitely worth doing a deep dive into Arts & Crafts, Greene & Greene, etc. A lot to love.

sixstringsmash

Reaction score
Awesome stuff! I definitely fell in love with that whole mission style furniture look when doing my shopping so I’m glad to see they’re an approved brand around here! I’ve got my office desk and chair for the Den from them also coming to get delivered next Tuesday now too so I’ll have to make sure to post those here too once they arrive.

The couch… well the couch will get here eventually(I hope)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my wife took that picture on her iPhone a few years ago when we were visiting Portugal and we thought it had a great vibe and should be printed. It took 3+ years of procrastination but we finally did and found a spot for it

4A9F8387-F572-4C4B-874F-6E966D272831.jpeg
95EDC445-121A-41EF-B70B-C27506C91EDE.jpeg
FE713338-2916-4847-8076-B62323840F51.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads