• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went into a blu dot showroom for the first time in many years to inquire about some touch up paint.

Really liked what I saw. I always felt like all of their older stuff was pretty aggressive--I liked it, but it was mostly bold colors and hard lines. Seems like they've toned down their product line and its working pretty well.

Those "Perch" outdoor pieces felt nice in person--although I still remain ambivalent towards upholstered outdoor furniture.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with Blu Dot (bought quite a bit) is that the metal based stuff is top notch and durable. Anything involving MDF is actually not very well made. Not much of a step up from Ikea. We've had issues with shelving popping off, coffee tables with leaning feet, etc... We also have a handful of solid wood pieces that are holding up nicely. The metal stuff is their greatest strength for sure.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same. We had a Strut sideboard, and the MDF eventually failed at the screws. I saw that they now make an all-metal Strut dining table ostensibly for outdoor use. It seemed to be built like a tank.

The Perch we bought is cast aluminum with teak slats. It looks like it will be durable and what might fail would be repairable.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I should say, the guy there (seemed like a manager) was nice enough to order the paint, shipped to me, for free. I remember now that I tried to get some from them a year or so ago and balked because they wanted $20 for a vial.

Turns out the paint itself is cheap, but the vendor charges flat rate shipping whether you order 1 or 100 (but my color is old so they don't have it on hand).

emptym

Reaction score
No way are those original.

My guess is that it is hard to source the narrow 45 degree clips and the chair originally had the "fagas" straps with built in retention. Although tacking them to the underside just seems wrong. Sure, it avoids visible holes, but it also leaves them sunken in.

Personally if I didn't know about the clips, I would probably staple to the topside... Leaves tiny holes, easy to do, and can be redone multiple times without concern.

And I'd definitely use the modern straps. I just looked at the pirelli straps on my kofod-larsen chair which I bought restored a few years ago and they are already starting to dry out and crack... Still functional but not a great sign after like 5 years.

Thanks. That all makes sense to me. Fagas straps probably were original. Evans doesn't sell Fagas straps anymore (so maybe they could get rid of that name.) This place does (another fun name):

They're $22 each for the straps, and I'd need 14 of them, for a total of $308. $128 for the clips seems even more appealing in light of that.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with Blu Dot (bought quite a bit) is that the metal based stuff is top notch and durable. Anything involving MDF is actually not very well made. Not much of a step up from Ikea. We've had issues with shelving popping off, coffee tables with leaning feet, etc... We also have a handful of solid wood pieces that are holding up nicely. The metal stuff is their greatest strength for sure.

We have the Woodrow beds (solid wood) and they are fine - the (DIY) construction is only a bit better than IKEA, but the design and materials certainly are a lot better.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I am in a condo. It's a top floor unit so the patio isn't covered, so I am looking for a lamp I can take outside to use and store inside.

Seriously considering the Flowerpot although it's above my price point. I am a bit more comfortable with the price of this (photo below) but the battery and bulb are not replaceable which is a bit of a turn off. It's probably the same with the other items I linked to but they're cheaper.

ATD_lifestyle_2020_Lucca_SC51_1_web-1500x2000_1024x1024@2x.jpg

154109_a.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I wound up getting this which was one of my original choices and in a more comfortable price point for what is going to be used casually (patio/rooftop drinking). Will post an update once i've got it in use.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
154109_a.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I wound up getting this which was one of my original choices and in a more comfortable price point for what is going to be used casually (patio/rooftop drinking). Will post an update once i've got it in use.

+1 Got this in white. Have been using it inside and it is great.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you can pick that up you're stronger than I thought.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Handsome piece. You must not live in earthquake country.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads