• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emptym

Reaction score
We have a pair of Selig chaise lounges that I bought 13 yrs ago and have just been storing since. The dream was to put them in a reading room with a nice view. Maybe someday that will happen, but I'm also wondering if I should sell them, and if so, what the best way would be. The easiest would probably be to call a local vintage shop who might be able to pick them up. Do you guys have any ideas? Is demand strong now? They're in great shape, with the original cushion covers. But they need new straps, cushions, and some repair to the covers.
IMG_9842.jpeg
IMG_9850.jpeg
IMG_9841.jpeg
IMG_9831.jpeg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd restore them and keep them. Looks comfy.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great. You can get new Pirelli straps online for repairing them, and to be honest the cushions and covers are relatively inexpensive, and I'd get new ones made or do it yourself (we made our own for our Artek daybed).

In fact, even if you were going to sell, I'd do this - you'd get a whole lot more for them in great condition as opposed to in need of repair.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
We have a pair of Selig chaise lounges that I bought 13 yrs ago and have just been storing since. The dream was to put them in a reading room with a nice view. Maybe someday that will happen, but I'm also wondering if I should sell them, and if so, what the best way would be. The easiest would probably be to call a local vintage shop who might be able to pick them up. Do you guys have any ideas? Is demand strong now? They're in great shape, with the original cushion covers.
But they need new straps, cushions, and some repair to the covers. View attachment 1628408

I really dig the depth and visual interest of those covers. Not over-the-top jarring.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have a pair of Selig chaise lounges that I bought 13 yrs ago and have just been storing since. The dream was to put them in a reading room with a nice view. Maybe someday that will happen, but I'm also wondering if I should sell them, and if so, what the best way would be. The easiest would probably be to call a local vintage shop who might be able to pick them up. Do you guys have any ideas? Is demand strong now? They're in great shape, with the original cushion covers. But they need new straps, cushions, and some repair to the covers. View attachment 1628397 View attachment 1628398 View attachment 1628408 View attachment 1628409

Straps on that should be super easy to replace--looks like it used clip ends that fit in the slot (rather than dowels+friction)

No shame in going with more modern poly webbing instead of the pirelli straps too...they won't dry rot like the old webbing.
Don't buy it from that site though...you can get 40' for $20 (and randomly...2 free bamboo utensils):

I had a roll I'd offer send you, but I'm pretty sure I got rid of it...had like 30 feet left.

Should be able to find the clips that fit the chair pretty cheap as well. Maybe these?
Or maybe different ones if it is cut at a 45 degree angle.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys, particularly re the straps, otc. I think I will redo the straps myself and ask a local guy to redo the cushions. These have the 45 degree cuts, and corresponding clips are sold by http://fagasstraps.com, which is where the guy in the video got his. Somehow, I've had that site bookmarked for several years.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's one of your more infamous esoteric websites...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys, particularly re the straps, otc. I think I will redo the straps myself and ask a local guy to redo the cushions. These have the 45 degree cuts, and corresponding clips are sold by http://fagasstraps.com, which is where the guy in the video got his. Somehow, I've had that site bookmarked for several years.
I've got to believe there's a cheaper place to buy them though. That's where I pulled the video from, but they charge something insane like $4 per clip.

Haven't found that style cheaper though... But those should be 50 cent parts.

emptym

Reaction score
Almost as good as Pen Island...
Under FAQs:
"Q: Can I provide my own wood?
A: In most cases we can handle your wood."

I've got to believe there's a cheaper place to buy them though. That's where I pulled the video from, but they charge something insane like $4 per clip.

Haven't found that style cheaper though... But those should be 50 cent parts.
Good point. I think I'd need 28 total, which would be $112. That's definitely more than I'd expected, but on reflection, it doesn't seem terrible for such a specialized item that they seem to have designed themselves. I may get an estimate from a local shop, but I'm guessing the labor in SF would be like $100 an hour, and this seems like something I could easily do myself.

There's a couple eBay sellers with similar clips as the one you linked to on Amazon:

That type of clip seems pretty common and a lot cheaper than the Evans ones. But they don't look like they'd fit my lounges, as the tongue part is maybe 1 cm in from the edge, whereas the Evans clips are closer to the edge. In some applications, it seems like the thick end goes in the groove, as in this pic, from here
51JIf1RDujL._AC_.jpg

But someone wrote that the grooves must be 1/8 inch, and mine are more like 1/16.

Strangely, the original straps on my chairs were nailed to the bottom. At least, I guessed that was original, but now I'm thinking it wasn't.
IMG_9855.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No way are those original.

My guess is that it is hard to source the narrow 45 degree clips and the chair originally had the "fagas" straps with built in retention. Although tacking them to the underside just seems wrong. Sure, it avoids visible holes, but it also leaves them sunken in.

Personally if I didn't know about the clips, I would probably staple to the topside... Leaves tiny holes, easy to do, and can be redone multiple times without concern.

And I'd definitely use the modern straps. I just looked at the pirelli straps on my kofod-larsen chair which I bought restored a few years ago and they are already starting to dry out and crack... Still functional but not a great sign after like 5 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads