• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a holder for a big candle that accomplishes the same vibe (also Henning Koppel designed)
SS18-KOPPEL-STILL-LIFE-HURRICANES-2_CMYK.jpg

But it doesn't throw enough light to actually be useful as the only source of illumination.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there any difference between using lamp oil and a candle? Both are generally made of paraffin.

I know gas stoves aren't great for air quality either, but those burn a lot more material than lighting sources.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Of all the concerns in my life, I don't think burning an oil lamp in my house once in awhile amounts to top 100.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
White Republican Jesus gave us electricity for a reason people.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have not seen the Panthella lamp before today. Then there were a bunch of them in the latest episode of Loki.
I caught the first episode yesterday, and it seems like the TVA is big on MCM - Bertoia chairs, Tulip table and I think there was some Eames stuff too.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I have had a ****** couple days dealing with family stuff, but I had the day off today, so I decided to pull these out to try to cheer myself up. I took a few quick cell phone pics because @rokor @edinatlanta and maybe others asked.

I know it is awhile back that people asked to see, but I hope you all enjoy.

Chess Set I learned on.
This is the set I played with on a weekly basis with my grandfather.

I found a sticker, and these are Anri Toriart which were apparently handmade in Italy. I believe they're the Charlemagne set, but is is unpainted like every other set I've seen online.
italian set.jpg

Civil War set
These were from the National Historical Society. My grandmother bought it for my grandfather, and she told me it was via a subscription, so she would pay a monthly check, and they would send her a piece. Each piece has a little card with some historical information, and the detail in all the pieces is really amazing. You can also see how each bishop is actually unique.

As a kid, this was the set my grandfather would pull out as a rare event, and it was always the set I looked forward to playing with (especially seeing as a kid I was really interested in the Civil War).
union group.jpg

confederate group.jpg

Close Ups
union close 1.jpg

confederate close 1.jpg
confederate close 2.jpg
confederate close 3.jpg

Spanish Set
This last set is another set we played with on occasion. There are no hallmarks that I can tell: I only know my grandfather picked it Madrid after WW2 while he was stationed in Spain.

They obviously have a Spanish matador theme to them and a bit more whimsical than the other sets.

spanish set 2.jpg
spainish set.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is quite an interesting read, actually. The growth in 2020 was impressive.

brokencycle

Reaction score
This is quite an interesting read, actually. The growth in 2020 was impressive.

How does the site actually work? If invest, it looks like I don't actually get equity unless the company hits a valuation of $12M. How do I know what the current valuation is so I know what my investment is actually worth?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I think you convert to equity whenever there is an outside investment of at least $1m.

The $12m is just the maximum valuation your investment will convert at. So like, say you invest $1000 and some VC comes in at $2m for 10%. That puts the valuation at 20m and triggers a conversion. Say they issue 2m shares at $10 (so the VC gets 200k shares). Without the valuation cap, your $1000 converts to 100 shares. But with the cap, it is $12m/2m = $6 per share, so you end up with 166 shares that are now valued at $1660.

I still don't fully understand the whole thing, but I think it's a way to guarantee the investors some upside if there's a big equity event. Like, say Amazon comes in and just buys 100% of the company for $20m. Without that cap, you would only convert to $1000 in equity which would then immediately sell to Amazon and you'd have no further chance for appreciation.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I remember correctly you're in a condo? Is this on a covered patio/balcony? Is there an overhead light? If so an app controlled, wifi RGB LED might be the answer. We use these:

Yes, I am in a condo. It's a top floor unit so the patio isn't covered, so I am looking for a lamp I can take outside to use and store inside.

Flowerpot VP9, comes in 10+ colours:

View attachment 1626007

Seriously considering the Flowerpot although it's above my price point. I am a bit more comfortable with the price of this (photo below) but the battery and bulb are not replaceable which is a bit of a turn off. It's probably the same with the other items I linked to but they're cheaper.

ATD_lifestyle_2020_Lucca_SC51_1_web-1500x2000_1024x1024@2x.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I am in a condo. It's a top floor unit so the patio isn't covered, so I am looking for a lamp I can take outside to use and store inside.

Seriously considering the Flowerpot although it's above my price point. I am a bit more comfortable with the price of this (photo below) but the battery and bulb are not replaceable which is a bit of a turn off. It's probably the same with the other items I linked to but they're cheaper.

ATD_lifestyle_2020_Lucca_SC51_1_web-1500x2000_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Fwiw, batteries are almost certainly "replaceable" on any of these. Everybody uses standard cells and if it really ran dry, you could get it fixed

LEDs would be harder, but should last basically forever in an occasional use lamp.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have had a ****** couple days dealing with family stuff, but I had the day off today, so I decided to pull these out to try to cheer myself up. I took a few quick cell phone pics because @rokor @edinatlanta and maybe others asked.

I know it is awhile back that people asked to see, but I hope you all enjoy.

Chess Set I learned on.
This is the set I played with on a weekly basis with my grandfather.

I found a sticker, and these are Anri Toriart which were apparently handmade in Italy. I believe they're the Charlemagne set, but is is unpainted like every other set I've seen online.
View attachment 1626718

Civil War set
These were from the National Historical Society. My grandmother bought it for my grandfather, and she told me it was via a subscription, so she would pay a monthly check, and they would send her a piece. Each piece has a little card with some historical information, and the detail in all the pieces is really amazing. You can also see how each bishop is actually unique.

As a kid, this was the set my grandfather would pull out as a rare event, and it was always the set I looked forward to playing with (especially seeing as a kid I was really interested in the Civil War).
View attachment 1626720
View attachment 1626721
Close Ups

Spanish Set
This last set is another set we played with on occasion. There are no hallmarks that I can tell: I only know my grandfather picked it Madrid after WW2 while he was stationed in Spain.

They obviously have a Spanish matador theme to them and a bit more whimsical than the other sets.

View attachment 1626737 View attachment 1626736
I wonder what material the Spanish set is made of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads