• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SirTylerGalt

Reaction score
Likewise with your floor — unless you love the yellowish polished finish, I would be very wary of attempting to match things to it. Otherwise you’re just going to end up with bunch of stuff that matches but isn’t what you really wanted. I’d buy stuff that goes well with your ideal floor with a view to redoing the floor when you have the time/money.
Not sure if OPs place is a rental or not, but you always gotta do the floor prior to move-in if that's your plan. If it's a question of economy, literally eat off the floor for a year or two while you save up for a table.

My place is indeed a rental. I am quite happy with the floor actually, I've seen lots of rental apartments with far worse floors in Paris.
But I can see how matching things with the floor is a bad idea, since I might end up with a lighter floor when I buy my own place down the road.

Out of the chairs you’ve posted, I really like the upholstered Gubi Beetle chair. I’ve seen it in a lot restaurants and it works very well as a dining chair, and is also very comfortable. I prefer it with brass legs but if black is more your style it still looks very good. It has an aesthetic softness that just works very well in a domestic setting.
Yeah, I really love that upholstered Gubi chair. I think I screwed up by buying the Gubi plastic chair (more below)...

It is difficult to advise on rectangular versus round, especially not knowing the space. It is a very personal choice, dependent on many other factors.*

[...]

*One other consideration should be the shape of the two main horizontal surfaces, dining and coffee table, which will be in proximity to each in your situation (correct?). If so, I think it better, from your photographs as the camera view is very wide and the space might actually be fairly narrow, to avoid having both those surfaces being round or oval, which shapes generally take up more visual space and require more physical space in order to breathe.

The space is indeed fairly narrow. The living room is 315 cm wide (10.33 feets) and 680 cm long (22.3 feets). And I'm trying to fit a dining space, a "living room" space (couch, coffee table, TV), and my office.

I was really hesitating between the oval Saarinen:

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 11.30.54.png

And the rectangular Florence Knoll:

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 11.31.14.png

Coffee TableLengthDepth
Saarinen Oval107 cm (42")70 cm (27.5")
Florence Knoll114 cm (45")57 cm (22.5")

They have similar length, but the Saarinen is 13 cm wider. But since it is oval instead of rectangular, they probably have a similar footprint.

Ended up getting the Florence Knoll (more below).

Yes, sorry: exactly that Eames chair, in either fiberglass or polypropylene. I think the Eiffel base is too complex, and the wood base too heavy, for your situation. That model can also be ordered with pads if desired.

Or, alternatively the Eames Molded Plywood Dining Chair Metal Base (DCM).

Again yes, exactly that chair, in fabric upholstery. It is very comfortable, and beautiful/elegant imo, not too "anorexic-modern" but not too overly shaped either.

Love that Eames chair with 4-legs metal base, and the Saarinen Executive chair!

------------------------

What I ordered

Since the sale was ending soon, I went back to the store yesterday evening, and I actually missed your last 3 messages...

In addition to the various item-specific sales, I had a 10% off additional discount for the whole day. So I bought a coffee table and 4 chairs, as well as other non-furniture related stuff (e.g. Cristel Casteline cookware that was 30% off and CP Achilles low in tan leather that were 40% off).

Florence Knoll Coffee Table

1623059921628.png

Until the last moment, I was hesitating between the Eero Saarinen and Florence Knoll coffee tables in white arabescato. The prices were very close, since the Saarinen was 15% off, which amounted to 2508 -15% -10% = 1920 €. Versus the Florence Knoll, which was not on sale, and amounted to 2052 - 10% = 1850€.

I ended up ordering the Knoll, since I felt the design spoke more to me, I liked the rectangular shape, I liked how the chrome and white marble would match the chairs, and I see the Saarinen everywhere (at least in stores and magazines). After reading your messages about the Saarinen being better for small spaces, I wonder if I made the right choice...

Gubi Beetle Plastic Chairs

1623060065826.png

I wanted to get Upholstered Gubi Beetle chairs (first pic), using the same fabric as the violin chair (second pic):

1623060169937.png

1623060180634.png

But they didn't have any "Svevo, Dedar (002)" fabric sample, which seemed to be the fabric in that picture according to the Gubi website.

So I had to choose between tons of fabrics:

1623061038546.png

1623061047313.png

I vaguely remembered that "Kvadrat" made great fabrics, but I had no idea what I should get. I only knew I wanted beige or grey. But I had no idea whether I should get "bouclé" fabric or "wool" or what would feel better to sit on in the summer.
I was overwhelmed by the abundance of choice, and didn't want to spend 3k€ on 4 upholstered fabric chairs where I chose a fabric at random...

So I went back to the plastic ones. I was hesitating between the beige and white, but the sales assistant convinced me to get the chrome and white ones, since they would match my white table better, and fade away to let the shape of the table shine.

I kind of regret not getting fabric chairs, but oh well, I guess I can sell the plastic ones in a few years when I really know what I want. At least they were cheap: 1139 (group price when you get 4) - 20% - 10% = 820€ for 4 chairs.

EDIT:

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I might get tan leather cushions to put on the 4 dining chairs. That way, I still get the "chrome + leather" look suggested by Gus previously. And since it's a cushion, it's easier to replace it if I move to a place where it doesn't match the floor.

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve bought nice stuff and really you were choosing between lots of good options, so I’ve think you’ve done well. Show us pics once things are delivered so we can see the finished result!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Modern outdoor sofa, no wood, no rattan. GO!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hay Palissade collection?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My place is indeed a rental. I am quite happy with the floor actually, I've seen lots of rental apartments with far worse floors in Paris.
But I can see how matching things with the floor is a bad idea, since I might end up with a lighter floor when I buy my own place down the road.

Yeah, I really love that upholstered Gubi chair. I think I screwed up by buying the Gubi plastic chair (more below)...

The space is indeed fairly narrow. The living room is 315 cm wide (10.33 feets) and 680 cm long (22.3 feets). And I'm trying to fit a dining space, a "living room" space (couch, coffee table, TV), and my office.

I was really hesitating between the oval Saarinen:

View attachment 1621172

And the rectangular Florence Knoll:

View attachment 1621173

Coffee TableLengthDepth
Saarinen Oval107 cm (42")70 cm (27.5")
Florence Knoll114 cm (45")57 cm (22.5")

They have similar length, but the Saarinen is 13 cm wider. But since it is oval instead of rectangular, they probably have a similar footprint.

Ended up getting the Florence Knoll (more below).

Love that Eames chair with 4-legs metal base, and the Saarinen Executive chair!

------------------------

What I ordered

Since the sale was ending soon, I went back to the store yesterday evening, and I actually missed your last 3 messages...

In addition to the various item-specific sales, I had a 10% off additional discount for the whole day. So I bought a coffee table and 4 chairs, as well as other non-furniture related stuff (e.g. Cristel Casteline cookware that was 30% off and CP Achilles low in tan leather that were 40% off).

Florence Knoll Coffee Table

View attachment 1621174

Until the last moment, I was hesitating between the Eero Saarinen and Florence Knoll coffee tables in white arabescato. The prices were very close, since the Saarinen was 15% off, which amounted to 2508 -15% -10% = 1920 €. Versus the Florence Knoll, which was not on sale, and amounted to 2052 - 10% = 1850€.

I ended up ordering the Knoll, since I felt the design spoke more to me, I liked the rectangular shape, I liked how the chrome and white marble would match the chairs, and I see the Saarinen everywhere (at least in stores and magazines). After reading your messages about the Saarinen being better for small spaces, I wonder if I made the right choice...

Gubi Beetle Plastic Chairs

View attachment 1621175

I wanted to get Upholstered Gubi Beetle chairs (first pic), using the same fabric as the violin chair (second pic):

View attachment 1621177

View attachment 1621178

But they didn't have any "Svevo, Dedar (002)" fabric sample, which seemed to be the fabric in that picture according to the Gubi website.

So I had to choose between tons of fabrics:

View attachment 1621179

View attachment 1621180

I vaguely remembered that "Kvadrat" made great fabrics, but I had no idea what I should get. I only knew I wanted beige or grey. But I had no idea whether I should get "bouclé" fabric or "wool" or what would feel better to sit on in the summer.
I was overwhelmed by the abundance of choice, and didn't want to spend 3k€ on 4 upholstered fabric chairs where I chose a fabric at random...

So I went back to the plastic ones. I was hesitating between the beige and white, but the sales assistant convinced me to get the chrome and white ones, since they would match my white table better, and fade away to let the shape of the table shine.

I kind of regret not getting fabric chairs, but oh well, I guess I can sell the plastic ones in a few years when I really know what I want. At least they were cheap: 1139 (group price when you get 4) - 20% - 10% = 820€ for 4 chairs.

EDIT:

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I might get tan leather cushions to put on the 4 dining chairs. That way, I still get the "chrome + leather" look suggested by Gus previously. And since it's a cushion, it's easier to replace it if I move to a place where it doesn't match the floor.
Wow...under those time constraints and selection stress you did a great job selecting all the pieces, from a larger list which was also excellent. Don't second guess or have buyer's remorse over any of those choices. You did a really good job, bravo. ?

If you really want fabric will the store exchange within a certai time period from now? If you do buy fabric for seating at some point, you are correct: Kvadrat Maharam is excellent.

For dining chairs, sofas, etc. I highly recommend Kvadrat Maharam "Tonus". It is wool, but so is much good quality bouclé. I am not a fan bouclé; I dislike the heavy, to some "dated", texture, and it seems to look worse from wear faster, at least with children and pets. KM "Tonus" has a smoother, flatter, tight weave; a very sturdy finish; and a good color selection. It also has a fantastic Martindale wear rating (our sofa "Tonus" is ~20+ years old, the chair "Tonus" ~15...both still look great, with very little evidence of wear); it was a great investment.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern outdoor sofa, no wood, no rattan. GO!
Knoll "1966", by Richard Shultz?

It is classic modern; metal, and not wood/rattan/wicker/Heller or Kartell plastic; and is available in various powder-coat frame colors and mesh upholstery fabric from white to grey to brown to black. The collection comprises many pieces for future addition if desired.

SirTylerGalt

Reaction score
You’ve bought nice stuff and really you were choosing between lots of good options, so I’ve think you’ve done well. Show us pics once things are delivered so we can see the finished result!

I will once I receive them. Delivery date on the order is mid-september, but I hope I will get them earlier ?

If you really want fabric will the store exchange within a certain time period from now?

I could probably go back to the store today and change the order from 4 plastic chairs to 4 upholstered chairs. I might lose the additional 10% off though, since that one was only valid on Sunday.

I actually went back yesterday, because they made a mistake with my coffee table: they selected "shiny" marble instead of "satin". I'm glad I spotted it on the invoice after cross-referencing with the Knoll catalogue: "MA" should have been "MAS". Luckily, the hadn't yet sent my order to Knoll, so we could update the order.

If you do buy fabric for seating at some point, you are correct: Kvadrat Maharam is excellent.

For dining chairs, sofas, etc. I highly recommend Kvadrat Maharam "Tonus". It is wool, but so is much good quality bouclé. I am not a fan bouclé; I dislike the heavy, to some "dated", texture, and it seems to look worse from wear faster, at least with children and pets. KM "Tonus" has a smoother, flatter, tight weave; a very sturdy finish; and a good color selection. It also has a fantastic Martindale wear rating (our sofa "Tonus" is ~20+ years old, the chair "Tonus" ~15...both still look great, with very little evidence of wear); it was a great investment.

Kvadrat Tonus 4 was actually one of the fabrics I was considering! You can see it in the pic I took of the samples.

I wondered about "bouclé". Most Gubi chairs they had in store were either "velour" or "bouclé". I feel like "bouclé" is fashionable right now, but might indeed look dated.

If I were to change my order now, from plastic to fully upholstered, should I get some KM Tonus 4 in grey or beige (0135, 0216, 0240, 0690) ? Or something else?
It's really hard to choose when just looking at the fabric. It's a lot easier when looking at pictures of the upholstered chair.

For example, I like those chairs:
1623139944478.png

But I have no idea if I would like this fabric (Kvadrat Tonus 4 0216):
1623139982270.png

I also like the "Svevo, Dedar (002)" fabric you can see on the Violin chair here. But it's probably less durable than the Kvadrat Tonus.

1623140210648.png

On the "Beetle - for life" page of the Gubi website, they say I can add upholstery later:

With the wish of offering the Beetle Chair to people in different stages of their lives and prolonging the chair’s life span, GUBI is pleased to introduce the modular concept, Beetle – For Life.

The unupholstered Beetle Chair in polypropylene plastic gives the chair a light expression with notable durability at an advantageous price level. The chair’s subtle matte texture offers a soft tactility where its outstanding sitting comfort is obtained.

The seven harmonious colours of the unupholstered seating shell may also be combined with seat or front upholstery to add an additional comfort and exude a personal adornment. *Due to its unique design, it is possible to add partial or fully upholstery over time as well as change and upgrade legs and upholstery. Give the chair a different expression and new life to the interior decoration – you are able to create a Beetle for life.*

So I could just get the plastic chairs I already ordered, see how I like them, and add upholstery in a few months / years. I'm not sure about the cost though, since it would mean shipping the chair back and forth to Gubi ?
Also, since I don't know if I will keep my dining table long term, maybe it's better to stay with the cheap plastic Gubi, and possibly upgrade them when I get a new table.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hay Palissade collection?
Knoll "1966", by Richard Shultz?

It is classic modern; metal, and not wood/rattan/wicker/Heller or Kartell plastic; and is available in various powder-coat frame colors and mesh upholstery fabric from white to grey to brown to black. The collection comprises many pieces for future addition if desired.
Are these comfortable for multi-hour sitting? We envision extended hangs with friends and probably some al fresco WFH.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these comfortable for multi-hour sitting? We envision extended hangs with friends and probably some al fresco WFH.

SB,

I have the almost full 1966 collection. Dining table and chairs (with arms) Lounge chairs, contour chaise.

They are extremely confortable for hours. I use them without the available padding.

Next year I am looking to add "Sofa" but I might go with the Swell for that. Although I am sure the 1966 sofa is just fine.

I am on my 7th summer with most pieces (got it all in white) and they are holding up quite well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.06.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.06.40 AM.png
    493.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.06.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.06.51 AM.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.06.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.06.59 AM.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.13.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.13.08 AM.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.12.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 11.12.30 AM.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 34

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the Hay "Palissade", have never sat in those, but the Knoll "1966" are supremely comfortable, just springy enough but also very supportive. The open structure and mesh fabric combination is great for outdoors because it all looks very light.

Plus, 55 years of constant production and sales is excellent testimony.

The Hay "Palissade" (without cushions) seating surfaces are steel, and the Knoll "1966" fabric mesh, so temperature reactions will be different...I would think more even and comfortable on the Knoll fabric, esp if in full sun.
SB,
I have the almost full 1966 collection. Dining table and chairs (with arms) Lounge chairs, contour chaise.

They are extremely confortable for hours. I use them without the available padding.

Next year I am looking to add "Sofa" but I might go with the Swell for that. Although I am sure the 1966 sofa is just fine.

I am on my 7th summer with most pieces (got it all in white) and they are holding up quite well.
^
Precisely.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Palissade stuff is definitely not going to be comfortable without cushions. I guess it depends on what @sugarbutch has in mind in terms of using the furniture, dealing with it off season, what the climate is throughout the seasons.

I know that we could never do mesh furniture in our area as the rains and snow and overall nasty weather just destroys and dirties those surfaces when left outside. We have metal furniture (sofa, chairs, table) that we leave out all year and cushions that we bring inside off season (or if it's going to rain).

I'm sure in different climates (or if taking all the furniture in a protected space), the answer would be very different

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will once I receive them. Delivery date on the order is mid-september, but I hope I will get them earlier ?

I could probably go back to the store today and change the order from 4 plastic chairs to 4 upholstered chairs. I might lose the additional 10% off though, since that one was only valid on Sunday.

I actually went back yesterday, because they made a mistake with my coffee table: they selected "shiny" marble instead of "satin". I'm glad I spotted it on the invoice after cross-referencing with the Knoll catalogue: "MA" should have been "MAS". Luckily, the hadn't yet sent my order to Knoll, so we could update the order.

Kvadrat Tonus 4 was actually one of the fabrics I was considering! You can see it in the pic I took of the samples.

I wondered about "bouclé". Most Gubi chairs they had in store were either "velour" or "bouclé". I feel like "bouclé" is fashionable right now, but might indeed look dated.

If I were to change my order now, from plastic to fully upholstered, should I get some KM Tonus 4 in grey or beige (0135, 0216, 0240, 0690) ? Or something else?
It's really hard to choose when just looking at the fabric. It's a lot easier when looking at pictures of the upholstered chair.

For example, I like those chairs:
View attachment 1621721

But I have no idea if I would like this fabric (Kvadrat Tonus 4 0216):
View attachment 1621722

I also like the "Svevo, Dedar (002)" fabric you can see on the Violin chair here. But it's probably less durable than the Kvadrat Tonus.

View attachment 1621723

On the "Beetle - for life" page of the Gubi website, they say I can add upholstery later:

So I could just get the plastic chairs I already ordered, see how I like them, and add upholstery in a few months / years. I'm not sure about the cost though, since it would mean shipping the chair back and forth to Gubi ?
Also, since I don't know if I will keep my dining table long term, maybe it's better to stay with the cheap plastic Gubi, and possibly upgrade them when I get a new table.
I need to run now, but:
good thing you caught that incorrect marble finish specification! The shiny is not attractive imo.

I personally would not recommend "velour" or "bouclé" fabric, but that is just my own taste. I do think those fabrics are not as versatile as simpler, high quality wool, and I do think both can/will look dated over time. But, re-upholstery can always be done.

I do highly recommend the KM Tonus 4, only because I have very positive personal experience with it, and KM reputation is rock solid. You should be able to find or order a swatch of Tonus 4 from KM or go see the entire KM swatch-book in a showroom that has KM upholstered furniture. You definitely cannot judge fabric colors and textures on a computer screen.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Palissade stuff is definitely not going to be comfortable without cushions. I guess it depends on what @sugarbutch has in mind in terms of using the furniture, dealing with it off season, what the climate is throughout the seasons.

I know that we could never do mesh furniture in our area as the rains and snow and overall nasty weather just destroys and dirties those surfaces when left outside. We have metal furniture (sofa, chairs, table) that we leave out all year and cushions that we bring inside off season (or if it's going to rain).

I'm sure in different climates (or if taking all the furniture in a protected space), the answer would be very different

G,

I am one state over. I think you would be pleasantly surprised how well they do.

As for getting dirty, no question about it. More so because of rain and pollen in the spring, and if under trees. But it cleans right up easily..

Kept out side in the snow, under cover, but some times they have been uncovered. Still holding really well. As the story goes they were meant to be beat up by sun and salt when Florence retired to Florida.

The greatest feature is that after a rain, a quick hit with the blower and they can be sat on.

I have some pieces that have foam and fabric and they are a pain keeping the covers on. Not to mention that you miss on seeing them.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Rain is infrequent here, but we do get the marine layer rolling in regularly. This tends to attract ambient dust/pollen/etc, and when it evaporates it leaves a thin film, but this is easily rinsed. Our hyperlocal environmental condition is the neighbor’s ****** coniferous tree which dumps needles all over our backyard throughout the year.

I was leaning toward something with upholstered cushions, but if we can sit comfortably with all-metal construction that would be a much more appealing maintenance story.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I love our outdoor sofa but a squirrel or some other rodent also loved it while it was covered up last winter, so I advise against cushions unless you have rodent proof storage for them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads