• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well...I'll try it yet again. Stained wood is never great always terrible.
Here is a free "third time's the charm" suggestion, from a slightly different POV, for whenever you feel it appropriate to make this extremely valid point once more.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ammonia reacts with tannins in wood, and evenly darkens the material itself. The grain ("wood graphics") remain perfectly intact-- only darkened. Stain is applied to a wood surface, and the pigments cover/obscure wood grain to varying extents. As an observer, fumed wood looks natural to me, whereas stained wood looks stained.

Fuming is also rarely used as a final surface treatment. For instance, fumed oak turns kind of green as it darkens. This appearance can be greatly improved with the some amber shellac. The shellac will also bring the grain detail into sharper focus, making the fumed wood look even more distinct from stained wood.

I think that if you're making things out of pieces of wood, and you care about what you're making, your wood choice and grain direction will be thoughtful and intentional. It's nice not to cover that with stain. And if you're a big factory churning out wooden objects in large quantities, I think it's still nice not to use stain.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really don't see the diff ?
AF is species-to-species i.e. it doesn't blend or modify or obscure grain to "achieve a different look" but only darkens the intrinsic pattern and grain. It is not a liquid additional product so it does not run, puddle, coagulate. AF colors generally remain more specific to the original species and AF color is typically more durable long-term. The process also has cons relative to staining or dyeing; the processes are definitely different.

EDIT: what @Bromley (much more expert than I) wrote just above.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is using a tinted oil finish okay (e.g. Rubio Monocoat)? Or is that equivalent to staining?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow ur heart.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that Newson Cappellini auction the day it was listed. We DO NOT need another blowup spot for furniture.

I hate you guys.

And answer my PM Matt. Damn you. I love you.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right. I missed the wide opening on the bottom.

Thanks.

lefty

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honor of Foo:
56C29E65-7EEE-4558-9A8E-47BD0E953360.jpeg
Il

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any reco's for DIY lamp hardware that people like? this is a good sized table lamp

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics