• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a place. Any advice on what I can do with the kitchen without replacing the cabinets? Wanted to brighten it up a bit, and I like the green kitchen cabinets trend I've been seeing lately, but not sure it would work with the existing cabinets?

View attachment 1600838
Stained wood is never great, but the kitchen doesn't look so bad. Given that the frame/panel design is simple and modern, you could easily change the feel of the room by painting the cabinets and face frames. If you wanted to swap out doors and drawers like GDL suggested, you'd want to make sure all the colors match. If you go that route, you'll also have the opportunity to choose new pulls and handles to suit the new style. Otherwise, not so bad as is.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a place. Any advice on what I can do with the kitchen without replacing the cabinets? Wanted to brighten it up a bit, and I like the green kitchen cabinets trend I've been seeing lately, but not sure it would work with the existing cabinets?

View attachment 1600838
Nothing more to contribute really other than to agree with the predominant sentiments expressed:
> Leave the kitchen cabinets as they are for now.
> Save the money for a true remodel in future.

If you like green as a future color, that's fine, but green is not a very reflective color unless more white/grey green (or mint/pistachio/etc :eek2:) so the kitchen will not be brightened much if at all going from the current dark brown to dark/forest green. The paneled cabinet design and the huge crown molding are contributing more to any perceived darkness/heaviness than the brown cabinet color per se imo.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’d leave it as is. I agree the cabinets are too dark, but you would be better off just living with it for a while. Save for a full remodel down the line.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1600838

This presents the ole existential crisis: what to do with something that’s new and in good shape, but but-ugly? I’d normally prescribe a do-over pre-move, but the price of plywood has jumped 100%. Not sure if cabinet prices have jumped accordingly. In any event, having the cabinets painted properly would be $. Truly a pickle this one.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stained wood is never great.
giphy-downsized.gif

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'll try it again. Stained wood is never great.

100%.

Bromley -- let me ask you a question. It seems that you're open to painting wood furniture as no big deal. I always assumed that the way people paint wooden furniture on design shows was crazy, because it wouldn't last and ultimately would destroy the piece. I always assumed you could get wooden furniture painted "professionally," but most "professional" things are a scam. Can the average person paint wooden furniture and not destroy it in the process? Ples set me straight on this.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ammonia fuming can produce beautiful results, but it's fundamentally and aesthetically different from staining.

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would repaint those cabinets in a colour you like and change the pulls to something more elegant and substantial. I don’t think it will be especially costly and can be totally transformative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads