• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think his skateboards r stupid and don’t care for teapots but I don’t spend my weekend insulting the guy and making fun of him for thinking his daughter said something cute but hey that’s just me.
Right. Great for you and your pristine weekend, but too bad for your Tuesday that it was spent revisiting and compiling past posts in some strange exercise in preachy smugness....

If you knew the entire history of the "conversations" you might revise your opinion as to the origin of the insults, etc., (inanely further aided and abetted by the chap who adores your most recent post).

Also, just to be perfectly clear (and fair to myself) I was neither the only nor the first person to react to the "daughter's cuteness comment". One of the other long-time members here, who wrote a very reasonable reaction, was also called a "little ****" and "human garbage" by the "guy", who then accused a fantasy "barrage of attacks" while, surprise, attacking with a typical and very real double-barrage.
Such class, yeah?

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V -- as a once and future moderator* I GIVE YOU THE LAST WORD ON THIS SUBJECT.

*LA Guy said there is a small chance he will meet me IRL post COVID-19: post-Covid –– I will willfully distort this statement as being a personal invite to go visit him and convince him to give me a personal column and modship, so the ink basically just needs to dry.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody on this threak upholster stuff themselves? Is it possible to do small jobs DIY like non-removable dining seat cushions? Does anybody have go-to upholsterers? If so, what does somebody good cost in civilization? (i.e. NY, LA).

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody on this threak upholster stuff themselves? Is it possible to do small jobs DIY like non-removable dining seat cushions? Does anybody have go-to upholsterers? If so, what does somebody good cost in civilization? (i.e. NY, LA).
It's pretty easy to do yourself if you have the right materials and a few simple tools.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

We're reupholstering the cushions for a set of scissor chairs (in a Folke Ohlsson style) and totally reupholstering a pair of mini club chairs that belonged to my wife's great grandparents. Thinking a large scale, sandy herringbone for the scissors and off-white wool boucle for the club chairs.

The scissor chairs are simple enough that I may try to go the DIY route (it's essentially making slip covers). For the club chairs we have a spot in Decatur, GA (civilization Lite) that does tremendous work if you can speak Spanish and are very specific. They've done 3-4 pieces for us in the past with great results. Their last endeavor, recovering two old IKEA chairs with cushions, cost about $250 exclusive of fabric.

brokencycle

Reaction score

We did a set of dining chairs, and that was easy. We paid someone else to do some lounge chairs.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Fine Woodworking video series with Michael Mascelli I linked is great. I don't know if you have to be a subscriber to view it, but it would be well worth it if you're looking to take on some DIY upholstery projects.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Sorry, nothing specific. I'll let you know if I happen upon anything promising.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An antique dealer in Austria.

The most interesting thing about these qingbai pieces is that they aren’t that rare. By the 10-11th century in the Song Dynasty, porcelain and ceramics of high quality were already being mass-produced. This little dish is one of millions made at the time and was likely used by a peasant family. They now get dug up from the ground fairly regularly. Sometimes random antique dishes and bowls are still found being used. It’s a testament to the technology and workmanship of the time that these ceramics have survived for a millennium often looking virtually new.

Happily, due to sheer quantity and the fact that the Chinese themselves do not consider ordinary peasant ware of any particular artistic or archaeological value, prices are quite reasonable. Obviously it would be a different story if looking at Imperial pieces from the same time period, in which case you’d have to pay tens of millions for a tiny bowl.

In Chinese tea tradition, very old implements are highly prized. Qing Dynasty zisha teapots are obviously a focus, but so are Song or Ming Dynasty porcelain dishes and bowls for use as tea boats.
So that teapot is actually from circa the 11th century? Not just in the style of that time period? Wow.

as a post-pandemic project i think i might try to organize a retrospective for an artist whose work should probably be better known.
i'd come into a few pieces and the more time i spent with them i began to realize the work was special and really good. unfortunately the artist died some time ago, and somehow in the course of my poking around i could see how his work fit into a bigger, surprisingly vibrant circle (maybe even a school)

and so i started meeting and buying from his contemporaries, and i'd talk about how i found them and they'd light up at hearing old friends' names, and i felt i could really begin to see the current, and also where i might start sourcing and collating and shaping an exhibit. if that dig yields the quality of the work that i already have it would be a lot of fun i think and it would be just awesome to kick some of that enthusiasm into the future. we will see.
This sounds very cool. Is this a local artist? Would this be sort of a personal project of your own for your own satisfaction... A labor of love? If so it sounds like it would be quite a contribution to the local art community.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So that teapot is actually from circa the 11th century? Not just in the style of that time period? Wow.

The teapot is new. The little dish it’s sitting on is from the 11/12th century.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads