• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to imagine the bay area has some pretty dang good office furniture liquidators.

Every time some startup folds...there's another stack of lightly used office chairs ready to be sold.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear lord. This again? Do you think I skate with those boards or race with that watch? Have I ever claimed to? When I used the word “authenticity,” it was obviously tonge-in-cheek, self-deprecating irony.
That is the third or fourth time you have asked that question, and yet you seem insistent on not accepting the collective and logical responses:
NO: Nobody thinks you skate with those boards (especially considering you didn't buy the authentic MOMA x Skateroom x Tony Hawk x BasquatEstate trucks 'n' wheels to go with 'em).
NO: Nobody thinks you race, watch or not.
NO: You have never claimed to. More important, nobody else has ever claimed that you did.
NO: Nobody believes that that comment was "obviously tonge-in-cheek [sic], self-deprecating irony".

No one likes being challenged over their intelligence...
...and yet YOUYOUROWNSELF do that constantly to every person here who disagrees with you. Hypocrite much?

...but it really does reduce to “you or me” on that front when I’m being accused of such nonsensical buffoonery [let alone the "barrage of attacks", poor victim] in every comment I make.
Here.
Bouroullec Bros "Palanco" mirror, so very legit authentic valid for you no doubt.
Gaze.
"They whose guilt within their bosom lies, imagine every eye beholds their blame."

R&E Bouroullec_Palanco mirror.jpg

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I find that you cannot really enjoy good tea with more than a small handful of people. In Chinese tradition, the limit is three. I think it still works with two couples sitting down together, but once you’re at five or more it seems that people lose focus.

When you say Chinese tradition do you mean gong fu cha? I think the patrons of the famous tea houses of Chengdu would beg to differ if you’re talking more generally than gong fu cha — they are packed to the gills with hundreds of people chatting every day, and it’s how people there spend a lazy Sunday. And not just in Chengdu, but across much of China. Last time I was in Chengdu a bunch of octogenarians on neighbouring tables encouraged us to order a bunch of of their favourite different teas and snacks that I’d never tried before — it was a lot of fun. They might not be drinking $50/g wulong, but they still serve very good quality tea by anyone’s standards.

My favourite tea tasting experience was in a place in Tokyo set up like a high end sushi place with a bar and 9 stools. Truly incredible tea, but more importantly you end up chatting with the other customers and the experts serving — the regulars excitedly recommend particular teas/pairings and take genuine pleasure in seeing you enjoy something new and mind bogglingly delicious.

I guess for me eating and drinking are fundamentally social activities so that’s what I enjoy the most.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see nothing wrong with that teapot on that saucer they should meld nicely with just a little use
Your opinion is obviously just as valid as those who think that that combination is not beautiful, period.

The difference being that in your case the owner/composer doesn't go off the rails and post that you are an "ignorant stupid dumb **** good luck w/that DWR summer job nut case you little ****", does he?

No, instead he thumbs up your praise, no doubt happy as a clam for a minute or two, as if any of this perceived negative criticism or perceived positive validation ultimately matters at all.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, there's enough **** flying around already but ... my wife needs a new home office chair as facilities management has reclaimed the loaner Aeron now that the former office is reopening.

Anyone know where I can get a deal on a Steelcase Leap?

:hide:
There are office furniture suppliers that will sell you a Leap, new with full 12-year Steelcase warranty, for much less than SC list and better prices/guarantees than even BOTD, other liquidators, etc.

I bought my Think v2 ($495.20 total on Feb 20, 2020) from one such supplier, posted whenever the last office chair discussion happened here (maybe last summer?).

You definitely want the Leap v2 as already suggested.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you say Chinese tradition do you mean gong fu cha? I think the patrons of the famous tea houses of Chengdu would beg to differ if you’re talking more generally than gong fu cha — they are packed to the gills with hundreds of people chatting every day, and it’s how people there spend a lazy Sunday. And not just in Chengdu, but across much of China. Last time I was in Chengdu a bunch of octogenarians on neighbouring tables encouraged us to order a bunch of of their favourite different teas and snacks that I’d never tried before — it was a lot of fun. They might not be drinking $50/g wulong, but they still serve very good quality tea by anyone’s standards.

My favourite tea tasting experience was in a place in Tokyo set up like a high end sushi place with a bar and 9 stools. Truly incredible tea, but more importantly you end up chatting with the other customers and the experts serving — the regulars excitedly recommend particular teas/pairings and take genuine pleasure in seeing you enjoy something new and mind bogglingly delicious.

I guess for me eating and drinking are fundamentally social activities so that’s what I enjoy the most.

Well, I should clarify: most Chinese people drink tea very casually, as you experienced, and there are obviously many different tea customs throughout Chinese civilization. A “tea house” in various parts of China can be akin to a boisterous bar, where socialization is more of the focus. Growing up, we most frequently had it with meals at Chinese restaurants and most typically with dim sum. My parents would have tea every night—just one big teapot only partially filled with leaves and slowly brewed. Only a couple of my uncles (of nine on my father’s side) were serious about tea. They taught me gong fu-style brewing.

Gong fu-style tea is most directly related to Chaozhou tradition, which is far more “serious” about tea brewing and tasting than the customary practices throughout most of China. Many other traditions have cross-pollinated with the original Chaozhou methods, including Tang/Song-style practices exported to Japan a thousand or more years ago and then reintroduced to China via Taiwan in the 20th century. However, the fundamental concept remains the same: concentration and contemplation of optimally brewed tea, using fast steeps of highly-concentrated tea leaves in a small teapot. If you had tea in a large party or banquet-like setting, it was not gong fu tea and not likely the quality of tea that one needs gong fu-style brewing to take advantage of.

So, while tea is obviously common in China, not all Chinese enjoy it the same way or with the same intensity.

Japanese tea custom comes from prior Chinese dynasties (chiefly the Tang and Song), which is why tea in Japan is still powdered and whisked, whereas the Chinese completely switched to loose leaf by the Ming Dynasty.

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO: Nobody thinks you race, watch or not.
NO: Nobody believes that that comment was "obviously tonge-in-cheek [sic], self-deprecating irony".

I'd like to submit two things for the record before moving onto my argument:

#1) @sugarbutch was unclear on whether Foo took his Porsche to the track.

#2) I thought Foo's 'authenticity' poast was mild self-deprecating irony. Loyal poasters know Foo's complicated relationship to his stuff (see my previous explication of the meaning of the authenticity poast). If you know the backstory to Foo's items (and you are perhaps an even greater Foo expert than myself), you cannot validly infer he's being serious.

Argument:

If Foo has erred in upbraiding @imatlas a little too harshly, it is only terms that this very forvum not just condones, but actively promotes: the "lived experience." It didn't actually matter what atlas wrote, only what Foo felt. Hence, if somebody or something is to blame, it is this very forvum. You neo-Marxists must all fall on your swords here.

Plea:

I LOVE EVERYBODY ON THIS FORVUM1111111 THIS WAS A VERY FUN BLOW UP FOR ME BECAUSE I THRIVE ON CONFLICT, BUT WE SHOULD ALL REST UP FOR THE NEXT BLOW UP NOW SINCE WHEN A BLOW UP GOES ON TOO LONG IT BURNS EVERYONE OUT (NOT ME BUT YOU CANT HAVE A BLOW UP BY YOURSELF, WELL YOU CAN, BUT THEY TRY THROWING YOU IN THE BOOBY HATCH AND IT TAKES LIKE AN HOUR TO EXPLAIN THIS IS AMERICA AND THEY CANNOT LEGALLY COMMIT YOU WITHOUT PROOF). LETS ALL GOING BACK TO BEING FRIENDS, AND THEN, IN 15 PAGES OR SO, ILL START ALL THIS BACK UP AGAIN111111111

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@venessian its too bad u don’t like foo’s design taste bc he lives in your head rent free

Oh come on...you of all people know exactly who's watching who(mafoo).

Re the watch I cannot be certain, of course, but one presumes that it is in fact the same watch he is constantly cross-posting these days, because for him to buy two or more of exactly the same, in all aspects, flaunt-objet would negatively affect by at least 50% his Opportunity Cost to glean the most attention possible from every single bruised orange (not literally oranges, just to be proactively crystal clear, "son"...) he can squeeze. Less repetition and more foo-riety, in such baubley possessions = more chances of better ego-ROIs, obviously. Even a Brown guy knows that....

In addition to which, he's a slave to "meaning" if there ever was one:
TECH & SCIENCE DICTIONARY
foo
WHAT DOES FOO MEAN?
Foo is an intentionally meaningless placeholder word often used in computer programming.
But, if true, that would make Fool, by his own special-predictive-powers ("my estimation, I’m about 20 years older than you.") ~82-86 years old. Yikes!!!
(I must say, though, that if so he does look reasonably well-preserved. It must be all that ancient juice or something.)

Still, for the two of being so inextricably joined at all your plexuses, it must be a little bit awkward for you both that "One of You Cannot Be (But, Still, Might Be Very Very) Wrong", no?
Drat!!! :brick:

Between the one’s pompously professed faux-Holmes-esque “predictive powers” and the other’s sycophant-smeared faux-Watson-esque suck-scrivening...combined with the 100% legit authenticity of the both of them scouring the forum 24/7/365 for any and all shreds of references unto the coupling cote...there is just absolutely no getting anything at all past these too StyFo coo-coo-foo birds, is there?

hoo-follows-hoo
As this thread is ostensibly about objects and their representation rather than personality conflicts, etc., and was certainly much more interesting when the focus was in fact consistently so:

Despite my dislike for the current owner's persona, history, and arrogant/crass/dismissive treatment of others across this entire forum I really do think that this dish is exquisite. I even cropped out the distractions from the image above in order to focus on the elegance. This is perhaps the most beautiful and powerful possession of his that I have seen posted, along with SkinnyGoomba's excellent tray. Both are finer than the tea service imo, although it too is nice enough albeit not very exciting.

That said, said poster's historical inability to resist the temptation to over-exaggerate/represent "authenticity" yet again, this time via the forced teapot/dish combination, makes both pieces together look at odds, antagonistic and mutually detrimental. That teapot crammed into that dish is so incredibly awkward that no endless pontificating ceremony-explication argument regarding old dishes as boats is going to convince me that this specific pairing is either beautiful or congruent. However, such are the vagaries of "taste", and one could stop right there, just accept the whole de gustibus thing and leave well enough alone, if that were that....

But...no, not enough of course: so, then, the awkwardly arranged relationship with the coyote, dingo, hyena, ancient-whatever skull that is...
(apologies, I am not a legit/authentic zoo-archaeologist by any means, although I know enough by now to expect a bear of a lecture right quick, as well as perhaps a ruffled-haughty "you don't even get the sculptural aspects of the piece etc etc etc you stupid dumb ignorant ****!!!"...(but, hey, I can always find some solace in the fact that, to my limited knowledge, no faux-thentic Basqui-boards were involved in the promotional process this time around, fortunately...)
...plummets us straight back into the realm of the excessive absurd, restraint abandoned yet again. I must say that in that light I am surprised that the one-would-think-very-logical (predictable, even, for one with "predictive powers") series of photographs of a certain watch ever so "casually tossed" into the dish and then photographed ad nauseum from all angles has not (yet) been published. Breath, do not be bated so....

Again, though: very nice dish, no question, no jive, no sarcasm at all regarding the thing itself.
Right.

I never once questioned the function of the dish, even as I complimented it, but knew this stock-in-trade off-subject wind-bag reply was forthcoming nonetheless.

What I actually wrote was:
a) "I really do think that this dish is exquisite."
b) "This is perhaps the most beautiful and powerful possession of his that I have seen posted, along with SkinnyGoomba's excellent tray. Both are finer than the tea service imo, although it too is nice enough albeit not very exciting."
c) "That teapot crammed into that dish is so incredibly awkward that no endless pontificating ceremony-explication argument regarding old dishes as boats is going to convince me that this specific pairing is either beautiful or congruent."

Not a single word regarding any functional aspects of any of the pieces.

So, again: in my opinion, THAT TEAPOT and THAT DISH do not look good together, even if the dish is magically capable of catching every single drop of water you ever produce. May it ever do so, to your complete satisfaction, regardless of the aesthetic incongruities and failings (because of course pairing the two pieces is also an "attempt at an aesthetic composition" even if you deny it) I feel they present together.

Claro?
Got it.

My apologies for having forgotten that you really need a rhyming picture book diagram that even your (naturally, of course, super-precocious*) daughter would understand at a glance.

View attachment 1591869

*One can only imagine the tortuous 40-hour lecture the poor girl had to endure before she could finally perfectly exclaim to your paternal satisfaction, “These are much easier to use than the old spoons, Dada. None of the macaroni falls out onto the table!”

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@venessian
@venessian i think foo lives in your head rent free
@venessian its too bad u don’t like foo’s design taste bc he lives in your head rent free
That is such a lame and tired old cliché, even after your edit.

Yes, he annoys the hell out of me when I'm reading here and he's endlessly pontificating himself/disrespecting-insulting others, but that's it, really. I would much rather discuss other things, as posted by and with other members, but nobody can get a word in edgewise anymore around here.

But, back to your edit: I don't like his design taste because I don't find his design taste, such as it is, that compelling or enlightening in general (other than the pottery, which is his real passion obviously, and I have no real issues there) nor his verbose presentations interesting, and certainly not because of "ha ha ha" wherever he "lives".

But, hey, if you like his design taste, bully for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads