• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting the teapot in the dish is not an affectation or attempt at an aesthetic composition.

[snipped the blah blah blah]
Right.

I never once questioned the function of the dish, even as I complimented it, but knew this stock-in-trade off-subject wind-bag reply was forthcoming nonetheless.

What I actually wrote was:
a) "I really do think that this dish is exquisite."
b) "This is perhaps the most beautiful and powerful possession of his that I have seen posted, along with SkinnyGoomba's excellent tray. Both are finer than the tea service imo, although it too is nice enough albeit not very exciting."
c) "That teapot crammed into that dish is so incredibly awkward that no endless pontificating ceremony-explication argument regarding old dishes as boats is going to convince me that this specific pairing is either beautiful or congruent."

Not a single word regarding any functional aspects of any of the pieces.

So, again: in my opinion, THAT TEAPOT and THAT DISH do not look good together, even if the dish is magically capable of catching every single drop of water you ever produce. May it ever do so, to your complete satisfaction, regardless of the aesthetic incongruities and failings (because of course pairing the two pieces is also an "attempt at an aesthetic composition" even if you deny it) I feel they present together.

Claro?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, again: in my opinion, THAT TEAPOT and THAT DISH do not look good together, even if the dish is magically capable of catching every single drop of water you ever produce. May it ever do so, to your complete satisfaction, regardless of the aesthetic incongruities and failings (because of course pairing the two pieces is also an "attempt at an aesthetic composition" even if you deny it) I feel they present together.

Claro?

What “aesthetic incongruities and failings” are you referring to? Lots of repeating the same conclusions louder and louder, but without explication or substance.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, no, I'm not. That's just my point.

Foo is now just blatantly seeking attention in a really boring way. And Venessian is his usual spluttering red-faced parody of taste and decency. And you, whoever you really are, long ago jumped the shark as an amusing creation.

It's tired. Your game is old. All of you need to find something more interesting to do. Maybe take up crochet. Or lawn bowls.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Foo is now just blatantly seeking attention in a really boring way. And Venessian is his usual spluttering red-faced parody of taste and decency. And you, whoever you really are, long ago jumped the shark as an amusing creation.

It's tired. Your game is old. All of you need to find something more interesting to do.
Maybe take up crochet. Or lawn bowls.

This is a cool way to say "smoke weed."

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's spring and I totally dig the Boullourec for Hay Palisade collection, expecially this sexy lounger :inlove:

1618235607092.png

1618235623394.png

1618235643709.png

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's tired. Your game is old. All of you need to find something more interesting to do. Maybe take up crochet. Or lawn bowls.

I posted photos and commentary for a piece of antique porcelain. How is this “blatantly seeking attention” in a design thread?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this collection here years ago. I like it a lot. Others did not.
It's weird because we've had a couple of pieces (bench & ottoman) for a while but I'm not sure why I never paid attention to the chaise longue. Did they always have the quilted cushion/headrest for it? I would happily trade our traditional wooden sun beds for those.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's weird because we've had a couple of pieces (bench & ottoman) for a while but I'm not sure why I never paid attention to the chaise longue. Did they always have the quilted cushion/headrest for it? I would happily trade our traditional wooden sun beds for those.

The quilted cushion is definitely new-ish. I haven’t looked at the collection in a while (at least 2-3 years), but it certainly wasn’t there at launch.

Not sure about the chaise though—might be new as well, but looks familiar.

The Bouroullecs are very hit or miss, but I think the Palisade stuff is really strong.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've had our stuff for about 3 years and never once covered them or brought them inside, and they're in impeccable shape despite the NE weather and rains. Definitely recommend for those who don't want to worry about their outdoor furniture throughout seasons.

I don't think they had the cushions back then as I remember finding their lounge chair options nice looking but seemed painful to sit in for an extended time.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apropos of nothing, over her lunch of macaroni and cheese, my five-year-old daughter remarked about the Pott 35 spoon in her hand: “These are much easier to use than the old spoons, Dada. None of the macaroni falls out onto the table!”

Hilarious. Maybe something to do with the spoon’s deeper bowl or steeper handle angle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads