• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you know Foo x-poasts the same watch? U watching him?
Oh come on...you of all people know exactly who's watching who(mafoo).

Re the watch I cannot be certain, of course, but one presumes that it is in fact the same watch he is constantly cross-posting these days, because for him to buy two or more of exactly the same, in all aspects, flaunt-objet would negatively affect by at least 50% his Opportunity Cost to glean the most attention possible from every single bruised orange (not literally oranges, just to be proactively crystal clear, "son"...) he can squeeze. Less repetition and more foo-riety, in such baubley possessions = more chances of better ego-ROIs, obviously. Even a Brown guy knows that....

In addition to which, he's a slave to "meaning" if there ever was one:
TECH & SCIENCE DICTIONARY
foo
WHAT DOES FOO MEAN?
Foo is an intentionally meaningless placeholder word often used in computer programming.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i once visited pipeline on a flat day, there were snorkelers on the reef.

i like the plate, folk wares are prominent on my radar. you can see flame off the glaze, pretty neat.

i admire jian wares and yue wares but, still learning about chinese ceramic traditions at arms length.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your biological age range is between 62-66, my fellow countryman.
But, if true, that would make Fool, by his own special-predictive-powers ("my estimation, I’m about 20 years older than you.") ~82-86 years old. Yikes!!!
(I must say, though, that if so he does look reasonably well-preserved. It must be all that ancient juice or something.)

Still, for the two of being so inextricably joined at all your plexuses, it must be a little bit awkward for you both that "One of You Cannot Be (But, Still, Might Be Very Very) Wrong", no?

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

V said he was fed up with the threak, made a Brown joke, and that he wasn't going to poast for 60-70 pages.

RE BROWN:
I've made my fair share of Brown jokes, but it's not okay when outsiders like V do this because they're in the out group (Anthropology 101 is at play here).

Some people need to work for a living, and Brown is a great UG from which to become a lolyer. Their generous grading system virtually ensures a 3.7GPA or higher (requisite for HYS Law School, adjusted to a 3.9 GPA for an Asian-male tbf). Here's the policy:

Students can opt to be graded under the conventional grading system, but there are only grades of A, B or C, and there are no plus or minus signs in the grades. There is no grade of D, and failing grades in classes are not recorded by Brown University.

So, you still get dat preftige, without having to grade grub at a place like Princeton. Also, no required classes, so you can play to all your strengths. Really, kind of genius to go to Brown if you know you're going to med or law school. From there Foo set himself up for HYS. But the holy trinity always requires you pay and you pay richly (no scholly, only financial aid). So my guess is Foo copped a full scholly from Chicago and never looked back. Now, if there was any doubt as to the Foo's academic rigor, Chicago dispels this. Chi town is the only American academic institution left with any pretense to academic rigor. Everywhere else is a joke. While it's hard to say if Foo actually got into all of HYS (as Asian-male he'd need a roughly 176 LSAT to be a lock to overcome which is no mean feat), with his Brown 4.0 I'm sure he got one, probably Harvard. Basically, he could have coasted at median at Harvard and copped a great big law outcome. Instead, Foo rolled the dice at CCN, and GOT AN OUTCOME THAT FAR EXCEEDED ALL THOSE PRECIOUS HYS SLACKERS. Foo is a LEGEND ON BORTS ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, and if you can't respect that, go back to barking orders on the floor of DWR. Foo knew exactly when to hit the gas IN WHAT WAS A PEFECT STRATEGY.

HENCE, IT WOULD BE THE HIGEST HONOR FOR ME TO TIME FOO AROUND A RACE TRACK11111111111111

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
V said he was fed up with the threak, made a Brown joke, and that he wasn't going to poast for 60-70 pages.

RE BROWN:
I've made my fair share of Brown jokes, but it's not okay when outsiders like V do this because they're in the out group (Anthropology 101 is at play here).

Some people need to work for a living, and Brown is a great UG from which to become a lolyer. Their generous grading system virtually ensures a 3.7GPA or higher (requisite for HYS Law School, adjusted to a 3.9 GPA for an Asian-male tbf). Here's the policy:

Students can opt to be graded under the conventional grading system, but there are only grades of A, B or C, and there are no plus or minus signs in the grades. There is no grade of D, and failing grades in classes are not recorded by Brown University.

So, you still get dat preftige, without having to grade grub at a place like Princeton. Also, no required classes, so you can play to all your strengths. Really, kind of genius to go to Brown if you know you're going to med or law school. From there Foo set himself up for HYS. But the holy trinity always requires you pay and you pay richly (no scholly, only financial aid). So my guess is Foo copped a full scholly from Chicago and never looked back. Now, if there was any doubt as to the Foo's academic rigor, Chicago dispels this. Chi town is the only American academic institution left with any pretense to academic rigor. Everywhere else is a joke. While it's hard to say if Foo actually got into all of HYS (as Asian-male he'd need a roughly 176 LSAT to be a lock to overcome which is no mean feat), with his Brown 4.0 I'm sure he got one, probably Harvard. Basically, he could have coasted at median at Harvard and copped a great big law outcome. Instead, Foo rolled the dice at CCN, and GOT AN OUTCOME THAT FAR EXCEEDED ALL THOSE PRECIOUS HYS SLACKERS. Foo is a LEGEND ON BORTS ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, and if you can't respect that, go back to barking orders on the floor of DWR. Foo knew exactly when to hit the gas IN WHAT WAS A PEFECT STRATEGY.

HENCE, IT WOULD BE THE HIGEST HONOR FOR ME TO TIME FOO AROUND A RACE TRACK11111111111111

Jeezus.

Moral of the story is that law school was a massive waste of time.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE BROWN:
Drat!!! :brick:

Between the one’s pompously professed faux-Holmes-esque “predictive powers” and the other’s sycophant-smeared faux-Watson-esque suck-scrivening...combined with the 100% legit authenticity of the both of them scouring the forum 24/7/365 for any and all shreds of references unto the coupling cote...there is just absolutely no getting anything at all past these too StyFo coo-coo-foo birds, is there?

hoo-follows-hoo

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeezus.

Moral of the story is that law school was a massive waste of time.

While I know you may be satisfied professionally, I do believe you missed your calling as a lawman (or missing rather, since you can still go down the one true path). Right now we're verging on societal collapse. You should be taking cases like the below so that duder doesn't have to go pro se or deal with incompetents. Somebody has to save this country, and if not you, then who?

Drat!!! :brick:
...there is just absolutely no getting anything at all past these too StyFo coo-coo-foo birds, is there?

See, they return; ah, see the tentative
Movements, and the slow feet,
The trouble in the pace and the uncertain
Wavering!
See, they return, one, and by one,
With fear, as half-awakened;
As if the snow should hesitate
And murmur in the wind,
and half turn back;
These were the "Wing'd-with-Awe,"
inviolable.
Gods of the wingèd shoe!
With them the silver hounds,
sniffing the trace of air!
Haie! Haie!
These were the swift to harry;
These the keen-scented;
These were the souls of blood.
Slow on the leash,
pallid the leash-men!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As this thread is ostensibly about objects and their representation rather than personality conflicts, etc., and was certainly much more interesting when the focus was in fact consistently so:

Despite my dislike for the current owner's persona, history, and arrogant/crass/dismissive treatment of others across this entire forum I really do think that this dish is exquisite. I even cropped out the distractions from the image above in order to focus on the elegance. This is perhaps the most beautiful and powerful possession of his that I have seen posted, along with SkinnyGoomba's excellent tray. Both are finer than the tea service imo, although it too is nice enough albeit not very exciting.

That said, said poster's historical inability to resist the temptation to over-exaggerate/represent "authenticity" yet again, this time via the forced teapot/dish combination, makes both pieces together look at odds, antagonistic and mutually detrimental. That teapot crammed into that dish is so incredibly awkward that no endless pontificating ceremony-explication argument regarding old dishes as boats is going to convince me that this specific pairing is either beautiful or congruent. However, such are the vagaries of "taste", and one could stop right there, just accept the whole de gustibus thing and leave well enough alone, if that were that....

But...no, not enough of course: so, then, the awkwardly arranged relationship with the coyote, dingo, hyena, ancient-whatever skull that is...
(apologies, I am not a legit/authentic zoo-archaeologist by any means, although I know enough by now to expect a bear of a lecture right quick, as well as perhaps a ruffled-haughty "you don't even get the sculptural aspects of the piece etc etc etc you stupid dumb ignorant ****!!!"...(but, hey, I can always find some solace in the fact that, to my limited knowledge, no faux-thentic Basqui-boards were involved in the promotional process this time around, fortunately...)
...plummets us straight back into the realm of the excessive absurd, restraint abandoned yet again. I must say that in that light I am surprised that the one-would-think-very-logical (predictable, even, for one with "predictive powers") series of photographs of a certain watch ever so "casually tossed" into the dish and then photographed ad nauseum from all angles has not (yet) been published. Breath, do not be bated so....

Again, though: very nice dish, no question, no jive, no sarcasm at all regarding the thing itself.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As this thread is ostensibly about objects and their representation rather than personality conflicts, etc., and was certainly much more interesting when the focus was in fact consistently so:

Despite my dislike for the current owner's persona, history, and arrogant/crass/dismissive treatment of others across this entire forum I really do think that this dish is exquisite. I even cropped out the distractions from the image above in order to focus on the elegance. This is perhaps the most beautiful and powerful possession of his that I have seen posted, along with SkinnyGoomba's excellent tray. Both are finer than the tea service imo, although it too is nice enough albeit not very exciting.

That said, said poster's historical inability to resist the temptation to over-exaggerate/represent "authenticity" yet again, this time via the forced teapot/dish combination, makes both pieces together look at odds, antagonistic and mutually detrimental. That teapot crammed into that dish is so incredibly awkward that no endless pontificating ceremony-explication argument regarding old dishes as boats is going to convince me that this specific pairing is either beautiful or congruent. However, such are the vagaries of "taste", and one could stop right there, just accept the whole de gustibus thing and leave well enough alone, if that were that....

But...no, not enough of course: so, then, the awkwardly arranged relationship with the coyote, dingo, hyena, ancient-whatever skull that is...
(apologies, I am not a legit/authentic zoo-archaeologist by any means, although I know enough by now to expect a bear of a lecture right quick, as well as perhaps a ruffled-haughty "you don't even get the sculptural aspects of the piece etc etc etc you stupid dumb ignorant ****!!!"...(but, hey, I can always find some solace in the fact that, to my limited knowledge, no faux-thentic Basqui-boards were involved in the promotional process this time around, fortunately...)
...plummets us straight back into the realm of the excessive absurd, restraint abandoned yet again. I must say that in that light I am surprised that the one-would-think-very-logical (predictable, even, for one with "predictive powers") series of photographs of a certain watch ever so "casually tossed" into the dish and then photographed ad nauseum from all angles has not (yet) been published. Breath, do not be bated so....

Again, though: very nice dish, no question, no jive, no sarcasm at all regarding the thing itself.

Putting the teapot in the dish is not an affectation or attempt at an aesthetic composition.

For any form of gong fu-style brewing, you need some sort of receptacle to catch the water poured over the teapot to warm it and the water that overflows from the teapot when it is filled. Since you brew the same pot many times in one session, there is a lot of water to catch.

Over the past hundred years, give or take, people developed purpose-specific receptacles (called “tea trays,” but which really aren’t just trays)—such as what SkinnyGoomba originally built for me. However, traditionally, you just used various porcelain plates or bowls. As per Chinese tea culture and Chinese culture more generally, the more ancient the porcelain the better.

I picked out and bought this Song Dynasty qingbai dish for the express purpose of catching water from my teapot.

0109388E-74A1-4790-B830-92C830BE0AB8.jpeg

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads