• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll try the lightweight deluxe. Crazy how much cheaper the international size is than the US size. Saved me $75 because your link took me to the international site first.
It was on sale recently too. I have a spare Marimekko duvet cover I've been wanting to use lol

Think I'll get the deluxe topper and the pillow as well.

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ridiculously overpriced watch posed in front of licensed reproductions of modern art.

"Authenticity" indeed.

How do you arrive at your valuation that Foo's watch is ridiculously overpriced? I'm not a watchmo, but it's my understanding that a lot of indy watch makers charge more for similar movements/complications, and it's also a crap shoot whether or not a smaller brand will fall out of favor and lose its resale value.

Anecdotally, I can get all sorts of stuff for way below market, but never have I ever seen somebody accidentally sell a Rolex for below market. Not even once. Times when I get excited are when it's a fugazzi. I don't even try anymore.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you arrive at your valuation that Foo's watch is ridiculously overpriced? I'm not a watchmo, but it's my understanding that a lot of indy watch makers charge more for similar movements/complications, and it's also a crap shoot whether or not a smaller brand will fall out of favor and lose its resale value.

Anecdotally, I can get all sorts of stuff for way below market, but never have I ever seen somebody accidentally sell a Rolex for below market. Not even once. Times when I get excited are when it's a fugazzi. I don't even try anymore.

Totally overpriced.

If he had to sell today, he would barely get 2.5 to 3 times what he paid for it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Totally overpriced.

If he had to sell today, he would barely get 2.5 to 3 times what he paid for it.

What does that have to do with anything? Someone just paid half a million dollars for a Magic the Gathering card, that doesn't make MtG high art, and the fact that other people are willing to pay more than the inflated price Rolex charges for its products doesn't make it anything more than a mass market brand with a big marketing budget.

I'm not knocking Rolex per se, just any sort of claim that there is something uniquely "authentic" about them.

Perhaps Foo meant that photo ironically and I missed the joke?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Luxury goods' pricing has little to nothing to do with cost, so Rolex isn't overpriced based on the fact that they have 25% market share and 3x the #2 luxury watch vendor.

That being said, their gross margin is estimated to be >50% which for a consumer good is crazy high.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Whatever. It's a nice looking watch, and I even kind of like the skateboards, even if they're not something I'd want. I just think a concept of "authenticity" that is limited to a certificate is dull as dishwater.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything? Someone just paid half a million dollars for a Magic the Gathering card, that doesn't make MtG high art, and the fact that other people are willing to pay more than the inflated price Rolex charges for its products doesn't make it anything more than a mass market brand with a big marketing budget.

What I meant by my anecdote is that some coveted watches have a baseline established store of value, a minimum that you know you can get for it. Hence, I wanted to know what the used price of Foo's watch was in relation to the new price (JP answered me above). To my mind, if you can buy a watch for $10,000, and reliably sell it used for $9,000, then the watch isn't really overpriced. Doesn't matter if it cost $.01 to make. My evaluation of the worth of the object centers upon the history of demand in the second-hand market.

Whatever. It's a nice looking watch, and I even kind of like the skateboards, even if they're not something I'd want. I just think a concept of "authenticity" that is limited to a certificate is dull as dishwater.

Foo's initial skate board was a barn-burner of poast he made many months ago. The boards are repro Basquiat art on skateboards purchased from the MoMa design store. Foo's wife bought it for him as a gift (for x-mas?) after he said they were interesting (he didn't want them per se, just thought the idea was interesting). Since he previously joked around with her that she never listened to him, buying the skateboards was her way of showing she cared. This is a highly underrated Foo flame: I had it bound in leather and it now sits in my library.

In any event, the skateboards have a layered meaning. Here you have these skateboards that are clearly inauthentic on their face (artist estate approval is nonsense when dealing with the concept of authenticity except for purely legal reasons). However, the purchase of these skateboards was an authentic act. Does this somehow imbue these fugazzi skateboards with authenticity? I think in some way it does. Likewise, I think this watch was related to Foo's wife, something like she suggested he get a watch for x dollars, or she bought it even (I cannot recall). LOVE IS THE BOND THAT BRING THEM TOGETHER111111

We talk about this kind of stuff in the mafoofan club all the time. Your welcome to join us.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the brooklyn nets comandeered the basquiat crown for their floor, i think it's new this season

but at least there you can make the case that an upside down crown looks an awful lot like a basketball net

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you poast like this, it really does give off the sock puppet vibes @GeneralEmployer

You're not one to jacuzzi on poasters, so I'm interested to know what makes you say this? Who would I be?

I just coined jacuzzi from 'J'accuse.' I'm in an explanatory mood this evening. Maybe we can get some traction with this neologism. Next time somebody accuses you of something, say, 'hey, don't jacuzzi on me!" Even if you're guilty still do it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What I meant by my anecdote is that some coveted watches have a baseline established store of value, a minimum that you know you can get for it. Hence, I wanted to know what the used price of Foo's watch was in relation to the new price (JP answered me above). To my mind, if you can buy a watch for $10,000, and reliably sell it used for $9,000, then the watch isn't really overpriced. Doesn't matter if it cost $.01 to make. My evaluation of the worth of the object centers upon the history of demand in the second-hand market.

Foo's initial skate board was a barn-burner of poast he made many months ago. The boards are repro Basquiat art on skateboards purchased from the MoMa design store. Foo's wife bought it for him as a gift (for x-mas?) after he said they were interesting (he didn't want them per se, just thought the idea was interesting). Since he previously joked around with her that she never listened to him, buying the skateboards was her way of showing she cared. This is a highly underrated Foo flame: I had it bound in leather and it now sits in my library.

In any event, the skateboards have a layered meaning. Here you have these skateboards that are clearly inauthentic on their face (artist estate approval is nonsense when dealing with the concept of authenticity except for purely legal reasons). However, the purchase of these skateboards was an authentic act. Does this somehow imbue these fugazzi skateboards with authenticity? I think in some way it does. Likewise, I think this watch was related to Foo's wife, something like she suggested he get a watch for x dollars, or she bought it even (I cannot recall). LOVE IS THE BOND THAT BRING THEM TOGETHER111111

We talk about this kind of stuff in the mafoofan club all the time. Your welcome to join us.

I hope you're getting a good monthly rate out of Foo for all the real estate he takes up in your brain.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're not one to jacuzzi on poasters, so I'm interested to know what makes you say this? Who would I be?

I just coined jacuzzi from 'J'accuse.' I'm in an explanatory mood this evening. Maybe we can get some traction with this neologism. Next time somebody accuses you of something, say, 'hey, don't jacuzzi on me!" Even if you're guilty still do it.
It’s just over the line into hype man territory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads