• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is like the Rip Van Winkle of Flatware discussions ... going to go back for a long winter nap and see when it returns to other topics.

And, probably already discussed, but I like the simplistic proportions of the Bouroullec Ovale.

Attachments

• BOFlatware.jpg
    BOFlatware.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 29

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm now dithering between the Bouroullec Ovale and the Prisme (I also really like the Pott 84 but it's too expensive for me, or anyhow not worth the price differential).

1615285561728.png

I like the look of the Prisme much better but I worry that it's trying too hard.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is an interesting discussion, especially when it comes to weight distribution and functional efficiency. Does anyone have any studies on how better weight distribution enables better forking, for example, i.e., with more efficient weight distribution, Foo could fork longer and harder, even faster, with a better designed tool. I would also be interested in the downside of some of the more over-designed pieces on food intake efficiency, i.e., it is not just counting the dropped peas, but also noting when they drop because that affects how far they bounce and how long is the recovery time. I feel like people are spending too much time treating this as just a trivial matter of personal taste and focusing on how flatware design affects the appearance of function and not enough time on how design affects the actual function of the appearance of function.

For context, thanks to this thread I bought two sets of WMF Taika for my kids' apartment and they look great (and very well made) but they are a stupid size and suck (the website didn't indicate the size). The extra length creates a longer lever arm, which takes more force to get moving and the food at the end of the implement, because of the larger radius, moves at a surprising speed once it gets going. I would like to measure whether the greater effort to overcome initial inertia is balanced by the shorter time under load to make for a more or a less refreshing meal. Rather than doing this work myself, it would be great if any of you have already done this or can point me to some existing research. Otherwise, I'll have to ask my kids to take detailed notes of their eating experience.

Last edited:

soender

Reaction score
Proportions of the top of Prisme area really good. And when I have held it in a store, it has always felt well balanced. Design of the bottom has ruled it out for me so far. But again, it is a very nice set.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

soender

Reaction score
I did not know Bouroullec Ovale. Also a great looking set.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't figure out how serious I am in this discussion. It's a little extra to get into this much detail about the function of everyday flatware, but transfer these discussions to, say, a violin bow, and all of these subtle details start to matter a hell of a lot more.

Or maybe we should think about distilling violins and bows to only the functional elements.

1615312489215.png

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be useful if people were really still debating materials, but other than the choice between 18/10 stainless, sterling or a non-metal, that is a dead letter. And, of course, it doesn't do what we really need, which is analysis of the effect of design on function using empirical research and careful measurement.
But thanks. I know you were trying to be helpful.

I spent 2 minutes trying to find a physics article and that one was sub headed “the physics of a fork.” I was hoping nobody actually would read it.This trick of mine usually gets sniffed out after 9 or 10 such incidents but you caught me out the gate. Also, loving the new thinly veiled rage schtick and long po

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out how serious I am in this discussion. It's a little extra to get into this much detail about the function of everyday flatware, but transfer these discussions to, say, a violin bow, and all of these subtle details start to matter a hell of a lot more.

i think a lot of guitar players don't give the plectrum its due consideration

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think a lot of guitar players don't give the plectrum its due consideration

Look ma, no plectrum! (I purposefully picked a Beck track where it kind of sounds like he uses plectrum even though he is widely reputed to have disavowed the plectrum at this time).

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But Beck with pick/instrumental only all day long. Ronnie Wood on bass FYI:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look ma, no plectrum! (I purposefully picked a Beck track where it kind of sounds like he uses plectrum even though he is widely reputed to have disavowed the plectrum at this time).

yeah no pick. he kind of uses an *air pick* in a couple of moments haha.

lots of approaches: wes montgomery, freddie king, merle travis, i think knopfler, etc. i'll note those guys all figured out how to *get to the strings* so to speak.

worth considering all i'm saying. beck is great, yardbirds are my fave british invasion act.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Prism overall, but quibble with the short knife. I'd probably learn to love it, but at first-sight find it truncated.

My first-sight eye also questions the proportions of the soup spoon (too large) and the. teaspoon (too small).

Then again, it's well established that a majority of successful models have some out-of-proportion features (i.e. a huge mouth, etc.).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads