• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Opinions on these? Derivative? (I'd only consider the plain stainless version -- hate the brass)

View attachment 1569718 View attachment 1569718

Are those from Hay? I quite like the looks of the Everyday set.

Derivative of what? It appears that flatware design tends to be more derivative / iterative, with designers picking a theme and evolving it. If you want “original”, you wind-up with some really wacky, impractical stuff.

My only question about these would be about quality. The website doesn’t seem to give the type of steel (i.e. whether 18/10 or something else), which is sort of a red flag. Also, there’s no indication of forged vs. stamped. I hate a spoon that bends when trying to get at really cold ice cream.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Hay. You're right that they're probably stamped.

I'm now leaning towards these by Castiglioni for Alessi: I like the matte/polished contrast, which I suppose also has functionality. And I like the squared handles, so they won't wobble on the table. I don't understand why they don't seem to make the fruit knives though.

Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 15.37.54.png

You might like these (Georg Jensen) or the Alessi Santiago, though both seem a little too designery to me:

Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 15.40.23.png

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your posts
Ahhh yes. I was also surprised by the casual helpful reaction. Thankfukly I didnt ask about anything as serious or critical as flatware :).......or green leather breast wallets

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm now leaning towards these by Castiglioni for Alessi: I like the matte/polished contrast, which I suppose also has functionality. And I like the squared handles, so they won't wobble on the table. I don't understand why they don't seem to make the fruit knives though.

View attachment 1569791
I like these best out of all that have been posted here.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, I would like cutlery that looks fairly ordinary but is in reality well considered and well made. The Castiglioni set comes close but is not quite what I'm after. Suggestions much appreciated, though the Pott stuff may be a bit too expensive for me (I do like the embassy set, though it's maybe a little too fancy).

Also, gratitude to the Foo for bringing up the subject. It's something worth thinking about especially now that we're eating at home practically every day.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, I would like cutlery that looks fairly ordinary but is in reality well considered and well made. The Castiglioni set comes close but is not quite what I'm after. Suggestions much appreciated, though the Pott stuff may be a bit too expensive for me (I do like the embassy set, though it's maybe a little too fancy).

Also, gratitude to the Foo for bringing up the subject. It's something worth thinking about especially now that we're eating at home practically every day.
Nearly 3 years ago I considered getting new cutlery and asked for some suggestions in this thread. If you care to check it out, the suggestions start on the top of this page and continue over the next couple of pages.

This post had the sets I ended up considering, with most photos still working.

In the end... I ended up not getting anything, and for the moment I'm pretty happy with my Citterio 98 from Ittala, even after 20+ years of use:

1615219410988.png

(The lighting here make the neck of the fork and spoon seem slimmer than they are IRL.)

The set I was very close to getting (and still really like) is below.

1615219486978.png

Last edited:

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike so many here, I am not a hater. I am, however, surprised that he escaped with his hide. :)

Real hating is an art form. It's about making sure nobody has anything nicer than you, of bringing everybody down. You don't need to knock a man who is already down. Even here at the Hater's Ball we have our limits.

SF h8 in 2009:

SF h8 in 2021:

Keep on drinking dat h8orade loyal poasters!!!

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
I’d recommend these for practical everyday use and good design.

Hackmann cutlery is also very good though less utilitarian.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I need a queen size bed for our guest bedroom. I want a simple MCM look with a headboard. Looking for solid woods and veneer (no MDF). Under $4K and available within 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions?

The time frame makes it rough.

Not to pimp R&B again, but there's this: https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/copenhagen-bed

The Nelson bed might work if someone near you had it in stock (or try calling DWR/Herman Miller), but otherwise too long to deliver: https://hivemodern.com/pages/product11513/george-nelson-thin-edge-bed-wood-taper-herman-miller

Or it looks like this might be in stock but over budget: https://hivemodern.com/pages/product7206/640-parallel-bed-atlantico-de-la-espada

Reactions: Gus

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm the only one that mainly uses his fingers?

:blush:
In certain parts of the Subcontinent this is the norm. So you and probably 500m others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads