• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If we can get off the subject of creeping over hot women on public transport, I would like your thoughts on dining chairs

The chairs will go with our Prouvé walnut dining table (black base). The Prouvé Standard chair is obviously in play - but feels a little bit too much like school seating. Also considering various Carl Hansen and Finn Juhl designs. The shortlist as it stands is made up of these View attachment 1566030
Am I missing any great options? We already have some of the series seven counter chairs and don’t want to match with those

R-O-T

Other than the Prouve chairs themselves, these are too close without being exactly on mark. Better to complement or contrast than attempt to blend in. Need some time to think of options.

However, as the Prouve table is so specific and already bi-material, I think it may be hard to come up with something that works as well as the matching chairs.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we can get off the subject of creeping over hot women on public transport, I would like your thoughts on dining chairs

The chairs will go with our Prouvé walnut dining table (black base). The Prouvé Standard chair is obviously in play - but feels a little bit too much like school seating.
Am I missing any great options? We already have some of the series seven counter chairs and don’t want to match with those
R-O-T
Possibly not the right choice with the black base, but I'm a fan of (and own) the Baba chair.
1614724587503.png

brokencycle

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread similar to the shoe one to track cool furniture, interior design and other objects for sale on eBay or other online store.

Don't have to be great deals only (although that's cool), could also be design pr0n...

I'll start with stuff I came across today on eBay

Cool MCM teak chairs

ibarm1.jpg

Nice alternative to an Eames lounge chair & ottoman

a_5376.jpg

Nice Jens Risom chair

f245_3.jpg

Cool little table lamp

lmp-cone-arteluce-yellow-part6.jpg

I just noticed that the very first post that kicked off this thread you posted the Niels Koefoed Lis chair which is what I ultimately posted. I absolutely love them.

emptym

Reaction score

The chairs will go with our Prouvé walnut dining table (black base). The Prouvé Standard chair is obviously in play - but feels a little bit too much like school seating. Also considering various Carl Hansen and Finn Juhl designs. The shortlist as it stands is made up of these View attachment 1566030

R-O-T
Have you considered Wegner's elbow chairs? They're kind of like a combo of 2-3 in your pic:
Hollace Cluny / CH20 ELBOW CHAIR by Hans Wegner - Carl Hansen
Hans Wegner Cross Elbow Chair

John Grady Cole

Reaction score
We have Prouve standards and our kids beat the **** out of them, they’ve held up great. Comfy, too.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone sent me this a week or two ago, and it reminded me of Foo (and @Girardian):
I got a super weird job in high school interviewing that guy, Rene Girard. I haven't thought of him since reading that. An oddball minister in my small, Vermont hometown approached our high school looking for kids to travel with him to Palo Alto to operate the cameras for his Rene Girard documentary (the whole deal seems headed down a real Me-Too path, but it didn't end up there). For some reason we stayed at the particle accelerator guest house, and I remember it was like a motel, but all the hallways were lined with photos of scientists, and microscope(?) pics of atoms. Rene Girard, man. How about that.

Also, your SkinnyGoomba cabinets are gorgeous. Congrats.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't think I've seen this chair posted here, so...

Going with the Arne Jacobsen drop chair in our dining room. I was shocked that my wife liked it. It is surprisingly comfortable, even in plastic (more comfortable than most of the other design classics we tried incl. wishbone chair). We have a fairly conventional walnut dining table, and the contrast is nice.

1614742655116.png

oh wait I meant to say this is the perfect chair and there is no other chair better than this one, should i get it?

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, your own references prove my point. Je ne sais quoi means to exude an extra “something” that is pleasant and nice, maybe a bit mysterious, but which is hard to put your finger on. It has nothing to do with being humorous or even amusing, which are for more tangible and specific qualities. Like I said, an awkward usage. And now I see why.

You know your all my all-time favorite poaster, Foo, but I believe your critical faculties have been in decline since you have turned your back on the Law and descended into the temple of Mammon. BC qualified his statement with the word "might." This implies that describing my writings as being "humorous or even amusing" is one of number of potential ways to describe his feelings towards my work. And is he not rather justifiably lost his in the infinite? Forsooth, my poasts are also illuminating, irreverant, and iridescent (and this snippet of adjectives is just from the alphabetical range of il-ir, so you can imagine how the list goes on and on). It is much more economical, therefore, to encapsulate the profound depth of my poasts with a singular loan word. (If Kierkegaard knew this word, and had access to my poasts, it would have freed him from his troubles).

And mystery you say? Nobody quite ever knows what I mean, including myself. If this is not mystery I don't know what is.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone sent me this a week or two ago, and it reminded me of Foo (and @Girardian):

There's actual discussions of Foo on even more obscure corners of the internet. Since COVID, I've become a bit of an internet spaceman and I see his name pop up frequently in very peculiar places on my travels. If the mods and Foo give me permission, I'll poast this stuff up. It's NSFW, and pretty crazy at times the GREENEST ENVY peeps have for him. I hate making words into a verb (the izes have it tho), but we NEED TO MONETIZE THIS ISH.

Business Idea: Foo writes a self-help book. I write an afterword and edit it. Taking title suggestions and cover artwork mockups. If it's alright with Foo, I'd be willing to throw whoever comes up with the winning title and artwork a tenth of a point of the profit post tax.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Other than the Prouve chairs themselves, these are too close without being exactly on mark. Better to complement or contrast than attempt to blend in. Need some time to think of options.

However, as the Prouve table is so specific and already bi-material, I think it may be hard to come up with something that works as well as the matching chairs.

Think you hit the nail on the head. Part of me just want to get the Standard chairs. And I should either go ahead and do that or get something quite different. Appreciate any Ideas that come to mind. I will also have a bit of a re-think

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Have you considered Wegner's elbow chairs? They're kind of like a combo of 2-3 in your pic:
Hollace Cluny / CH20 ELBOW CHAIR by Hans Wegner - Carl Hansen
Hans Wegner Cross Elbow Chair
Those are nice. And maybe if I go for oak...

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
In a similar style I have been a fan of the Hiroshima armchair from Naoto Fukusawa.

cc4d84027c3263937c5ec5ce1000d97181c45cf7
Very nice - but afraid of the “too close, yet not close enough” effect

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may sound odd but red or brick chairs look amazing with EM tables. I’d look at the Jasper Morrison APC chair in brick or the Hay soft edge chair. Or aomething you like that’s available in red/brick or with a significant red accent.

big fan of the Norr11 dining chairs (we have the Elephant Dining Chairs) and I can see them working well with the EM. Especially if you do a brick red upholstery on them (I know, broken record ?)

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one looks like someone incorrectly assembled a child's high chair:

1614773285258.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads