• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That is cool. The whole “digital paper” thing never really took off beyond Kindles unfortunately. Tablets pushed them aside?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Paperwhite and a regular tablet, and I really have to say that it's much more enjoyable to read on the e-ink screens. No eye fatigue, you can read them perfectly in sunlight, better contrast in general.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure this is covered somewhere in this beast of a thread, but looking for a reasonably priced solid wood minimalist desk (walnut, rosewood, or other). Suggestions for places to look (other than CL, used)?

sftiger

Reaction score
I have a Paperwhite and a regular tablet, and I really have to say that it's much more enjoyable to read on the e-ink screens. No eye fatigue, you can read them perfectly in sunlight, better contrast in general.

My phone/tablet seem to make it harder for me to fall asleep at night, whereas I often fall asleep with my Kindle still open. I don't know if it's a real thing or just psychological, but that's how it seems to work.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions on this office desk? Seems overpriced but has some thoughtful details. Worth it or just a gimmick and better off going with something else? I believe I've looked through most of the major catalogs and it just catches my eye. I also use a desk clamp monitor stand

Another I was considering

I was also looking at motorized sit/stand desks but as I want something that will last a long time and I can move with, the motor and other internals don't seem to be extremely durable/serviceable, are very heavy, and annoying to disassemble/setup
Did you make a decision on either of these? I'm looking for something similar, but can't make a decision

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure this is covered somewhere in this beast of a thread, but looking for a reasonably priced solid wood minimalist desk (walnut, rosewood, or other). Suggestions for places to look (other than CL, used)?
Akron Street?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is cool. The whole “digital paper” thing never really took off beyond Kindles unfortunately. Tablets pushed them aside?
Yeah, I still think a paper-sized kindle would be awesome...I can read PDFs/textbooks on my surface pro, but it heavy compared to a kindle and far less nice to read.

The old Kindle DX with the 9.7" screen still goes for a decent chunk of change on ebay (although there's quite a range...but searching completed auctions shows there are still people paying $150 for them in good shape with good batteries).

But if you are willing to spend the money, you can buy e-ink tablets with 10.3 or even 13.3" screens and pen input. They run android so you can even install the kindle app.
1611268039887.png

Give me one of those that can sync to my corporate network (so I can read and markup things without jumping through a bunch of hoops) and I'd be a happy camper who used a lot less trees.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you make a decision on either of these? I'm looking for something similar, but can't make a decision

I haven't yet though I'm leaning towards the Artifox. I don't need it for a few months so looking around still and considering even their table

Last edited:

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's right in line with what I'm looking for. Appreciate any other suggestions. Anyone who obsessed over this want to weigh in?

@Girardian. You might also want to look at something similar from Jens Risom.

Jens Risom at DWR

Herman Miller

I've encountered both pieces around the NYC area for under $1000 on the secondary market

@gdl203. Have you had any experience with Akron Street? Their prices are quite competitive. I need to pick a few things for my house

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No direct experience myself. Just one of the rare furniture companies out there doing solid wood furniture at affordable prices. They started with 1 product five years ago (the founder was even posting on reddit in the furniture forums to discuss how they designed, sourced, etc...) and have been slowly adding. I like those startups a lot more than the super slick, heavily-funded all-marketing companies that pop up once in a while.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always been a little turned off on Akron Street because of their marketing practice of spamming Craigslist. The furniture looks nice enough. I wish they offered more wood finishes.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may bite on the AS desk. This is a temporary WFH desk and I have too much furniture in my space already — but IMO furniture is an albatross, so better to be stuck with something you like than not.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been a little turned off on Akron Street because of their marketing practice of spamming Craigslist. The furniture looks nice enough. I wish they offered more wood finishes.
I haven't used Craig's List since 2005 so I wouldn't know ! (people still use it?)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't used Craig's List since 2005 so I wouldn't know ! (people still use it?)

Not much anymore. FB Marketplace has really taken over that market. I remember first seeing Akron Street on CL years ago. It did feel spammy at the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads