• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Considering a ton of funirure I like is expensive, what are the chances of building a decent console table/basic furniture out of wood with little experience? Any good recommendations on videos to watch of types of wood/products to get? Not looking for anything insane or complex

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Considering a ton of funirure I like is expensive, what are the chances of building a decent console table/basic furniture out of wood with little experience? Any good recommendations on videos to watch of types of wood/products to get? Not looking for anything insane or complex

I've had similar impulses in the past but would wholeheartedly recommend against the DIY route unless you're more interested in showcasing your work than you are thoughtful design/craftsmanship (and I've known people who feel this way). You're bound to be disappointed with your efforts once your expectations are set so high. Even seemingly simple pieces, if being compared to thoughtful makers, can be incredibly challenging.

Now if you're looking to practice the trade and not interested in immediate gratification/outcomes, that's a different story.

rokor

Reaction score
I've had similar impulses in the past but would wholeheartedly recommend against the DIY route unless you're more interested in showcasing your work than you are thoughtful design/craftsmanship (and I've known people who feel this way). You're bound to be disappointed with your efforts once your expectations are set so high. Even seemingly simple pieces, if being compared to thoughtful makers, can be incredibly challenging.

Now if you're looking to practice the trade and not interested in immediate gratification/outcomes, that's a different story.
Agreed. It takes in inordinate amount of dedication to achieve what resembles that of something made by a trusted maker. Unless you have related skills going into it (machining, welding, woodworking)it's going to be more trouble than it's worth imo.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what tools or work space you have available, but with minimal equipment you could make something decent as long as you have good instruction. There's a used book store in my city with an entire section of really good DIY furniture making books. "Home furniture from 2x4s" and stuff like that. Find a good book or set of instructions, and use that to decide if it's something you want to try. A decent cabinet can be made with a table saw, screws, paint and plywood.

Also, nice to see @bourbonbasted around again.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mostly agree with this. An exception might be if you're extremely meticulous and capable of unflinching self-assessment. Chris Salamone's channel has a few projects where he shows how to do them with more basic power tools, and he offers plans which include routing templates you can print out. If you like his style, this could be an option.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like this guy's channel. He has a "Woodwork for Humans" series where he builds up a simple hand tool kit from affordable tools, covers basic skills, and applies them to a growing list of projects.

But you'll soon find that if you are into the aesthetic mostly presented in this thread...well...you're a long way from getting there on your own without a lot of big tools and practice.

true.to.size

Reaction score
I am a hobby woodworker, who doesn't have much in the way of formal training. I've taught myself and accumulated basic tools over the past decade or so and have made things for myself, friends, and family.

I find it can be rewarding, but it is definitely time consuming, and I would think that only in the past 3–4 years I've started to make things that will really stand up well over time. I've found myself redoing/getting rid of the things I built in the first few years.

I think Kreg tools and similar jigs are a great way to get started... they ensure solid joinery and if you think through the design you can minimize the appearance of the joinery with these methods... though they will not compete with beautiful, handcrafted joinery of a master craftsperson.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DIY is such a great approach, why not? a lot of great instrument builders get started this way and often enough wind up contributing to the state of the art.

not sure why anybody would discourage such

Reaction score
I got my start in woodworking by building furniture for my house, and I have learned a ton from doing so. I just found plans online and mostly used pretty basic tools including a circular saw, miter saw, drill, Kreg Jig (someone else mentioned this above), and sander. Personally I wouldn't sell the pieces I've made for my home because they're not anywhere close to perfect, but that's part of the learning process! If you've got the time and patience then I definitely recommend getting into woodworking as a hobby. If you're looking for some videos on diy furniture with construction materials and minimal tools check out https://www.youtube.com/c/ModernBuildsDIY/videos
I would also check out Chris Salamone as recomended above by @sugarbutch. Chris design some really nice furniture and incorporates more machinery and nicer materials in his projects.

trafficjam

Reaction score
I made my coffee table out of some old (mostly rotten) 2x8s I found on the side of the road and lemme tell you, it's dogshit, and if I hadn't had access to a jet planer, the quality of the wood would assuredly demote the table to an even lower tier of ****. But I learned a lot while doing it and definitely wouldn't make the same mistakes the second time around, so I'd recommend the process to anyone.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this furniture designer recently and I'm digging his work. No idea what prices are

1606317073684.png

(shagreen inserts dedicated to @RJman )

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I came across this furniture designer recently and I'm digging his work. No idea what prices are

View attachment 1504479
Those inserts are unexpected!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1504479
How do you find out about these brands?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you find out about these brands?
This one was highlighted by another furniture maker I’m getting the newsletter of. They wanted to highlight friends and neighbors also making great stuff - which btw is kinda incredible in itself. “We make nice stuff but check out those other guys we like who also make nice stuff”.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads