• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, so my guy near LA will make me a desk/ hutch combo for $5k, which is an insane deal, but he’ll be taking his time in between projects since we’re not in a rush. Now I just need ideas...

I do realize that many here are into modern furniture, but my wife’s taste align more with Hollywood regency/craftsman, so I apologize in advance if I clutter up the thread with fluting, plinths, and such nonsense.

There is a custom furniture maker that used to have a shop in Dallas, now only in St. Louis I believe, that might give you some idea. They make their furniture a out of wood which I personally prefer over the modern design items. Website for inspiration here:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so my guy near LA will make me a desk/ hutch combo for $5k, which is an insane deal, but he’ll be taking his time in between projects since we’re not in a rush. Now I just need ideas...

I do realize that many here are into modern furniture, but my wife’s taste align more with Hollywood regency/craftsman, so I apologize in advance if I clutter up the thread with fluting, plinths, and such nonsense.

copy the century piece or something from baker furniture.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Century Hallings front door is too blank, especially in relation to the rest of the piece.

Now that I’m thinking about it: How do people feel about hiding an iMac with a drop down door, vs letting it be seen with a pullout drawer that hides paper, keyboard, mouse, etc when not in use? I could go either way.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Century Hallings front door is too blank, especially in relation to the rest of the piece.

Now that I’m thinking about it: How do people feel about hiding an iMac with a drop down door, vs letting it be seen with a pullout drawer that hides paper, keyboard, mouse, etc when not in use? I could go either way.
If you’re okay looking at the display, a slide-out keyboard tray would work well. I find most desks and other furniture intended for use with a computer to be too tall for ergonomic keyboard use.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on media consoles for the living room tv? Prefer something between 60" and 70" inches wide. Will accommodate a 55" TV I haven't decided will be wall hung or not. Not looking to break the bank on this, but would like something nicer than what you can get at a place like Ikea.

Open to suggestions. I'm partial to the Line Media Console DWR sells but don't want to drop that much coin.
Asked a similar question two years ago. Got similar recommendations to what's been posted so far. I ended up agreeing with @TheFoo and went with a combination of an articulated, swiveling wall-mounted bracket for the TV and Vitsoe for all of the related equipment. It wasn't cheap, but I'm super happy with the result.

Last edited:

shortlefty

Reaction score
Any affordable (quality if possible) leather sectional couches? 3-4K if possible
For fabric couches, looking to spend 2-3k

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quite surprised no one here has a rec for a minimalist wooden stool
The way you phrased it made it seem like you were trying to figure out the inspiration for that IKEA stool, not that you sought a recommendation for a minimalist wooden stool.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a British brand called Another Country that makes fairly minimalist, contemporary craft furniture. I don't have any personal experience with them.

Here are examples of some of their stools that are the same size as the Ikea posted earlier. They're pretty reasonably priced. The first looks most like the Ikea one.

170627-anothercountry-193362-1200x1600-1.jpg

Untitled-1-1200x1200.jpg

170627-anothercountry-193857-1552x2048-1.jpg

170627-anothercountry-193853-1.jpg

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They do a good job creating a brand and image.

A lot of people don't know better, and they set their pricing high enough that people assume quality, but not so high that people who don't know better can't afford it.

A lot of my coworkers thing West Elm and Restoration Hardware is amazing.

Where would you recommend that is higher quality than RH?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Where would you recommend that is higher quality than RH?

Depends on what you're looking for and the budget. Are you talking furniture generally or something specific? Or lighting fixtures or furnishings?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Furniture generally - couches, armchairs, swivel armchairs.

Lighting and other furnishings as well. Open to all recs.

gdl recently posted this:

Hmm... I’m not very good at keeping bookmarks of stuff. Some that come to mind: TRNK NYC, Crofthouse LA, Schoolhouse, Akron Street, Thuma, hem, Hay, Tom Raffield (bentwood), humanhome (lighting), Menu.

I think Floyd is also a nice upgrade from Ikea but I don’t own any of their stuff. Blu Dot if you like their design aesthetic. The quality varies a lot in my experience. The metal styles are better made than the wood/MDF stuff.

then there’s of course a number of replica-focused places that have been discussed here before, like Rove (we own a few), Eternity Modern... those scratch the itch of a classic design at a lower cost. Rove also sells non-replica stuff and the quality is quite solid in my experience (we have a bed and a couple of side tables from their own line).

Other recommendations on furniture:
Room & Board -- I have a few pieces, and the quality is good, but they're a bit pricey
Herman Miller (I really like some George Nelson designed stuff) -- again tends to be pricey but can be found on sale or used
Honestly I think Crate & Barrel (and the modern CB2) has as good or better stuff than RH for a lower price

For lighting:
Honestly check out lumens.com or something and get a feel for what you like.
Flos is a classic, but pricey option
Rejuvenation has similar vibe fixtures all made in the US. As an example, here is the first fixture if I just clicked lighting on RH's website and it is a member price of $521 vs this rejuvenation one at $309. The shade is smaller, but they have a lot of customization available. Any fixture you see often has dozens of shades available.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics