• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of Iittala, thoughts on the Putki lamp by Matti Klenell?

Iittala_2020_Putki_1056362_1056363.jpg

home-design.jpg
Solely mood/aesthetic - not expecting to use it for reading
Thanks for this - it aligns with what I was thinking, though I'd have to make do with 1 or 2 at most.
I am not feeling these. They look far too oddly "night-light-ish", very "safe" design", not that interesting, an odd mixture of elements.

The opinion that they might "work better" in multiples underscores that. Great lighting shouldn't need to be papa bear, mama bear, baby bear, and baby bear's friend too...unless the lighting is candles, preferably in a venerated church or on birthday cakes.

For real object lighting, serving only as base illumination or "decoration" or "mood", if must be maybe look at more interesting examples like Artemide "Boalum" or Santa y Cole "Cesta", etc., many other variants. To me those Iitala "Putki" look very Pottery Barn generic.

Last edited:

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
I am not feeling these. They look far too oddly "night-light-ish", very "safe" design", not that interesting, an odd mixture of elements.

The opinion that they might "work better" in multiples underscores that. Great lighting shouldn't need to be papa bear, mama bear, baby bear, and baby bear's friend too....

For real object lighting, serving only as base illumination or "decoration" or "mood", if must be maybe look at more interesting examples like Artemide "Boalum" or Santa y Cole "Cesta", etc., many other variants. Those Iitala look very Pottery Barn generic imo.

Cesta is nice -- I feel it's equally "safe", though it seems to work in more contexts.

I must confess I don't "get" the Boalum, doesn't appeal to me.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cesta is nice -- I feel it's equally "safe", though it seems to work in more contexts.

I must confess I don't "get" the Boalum, doesn't appeal to me.
Of course.
That is why I posted those extremes, not as solutions, only as suggestions, certainly not as prescriptions.
Whatever works for your context and tastes, obviously.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don’t see anything wrong with these Iittala lights per se—but the context and environment are key. They could look awkward and ugly in one place or really nice in another.

That said, I generally dislike the notion of a lighting object. It is not effective as lighting yet not really worthwhile as a piece of art or craft.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t see anything wrong with these Iittala lights per se—but the context and environment are key. They could look awkward and ugly in one place or really nice in another.
Definitely. It's easy miss the forest for the trees in this sense. It's about how everything comes together, not each individual object. (Though I understand why people might not want to post pics of their homes.)

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The opinion that they might "work better" in multiples underscores that. Great lighting shouldn't need to be papa bear, mama bear, baby bear, and baby bear's friend too...unless the lighting is candles, preferably in a venerated church or on birthday cakes.

For real object lighting, serving only as base illumination or "decoration" or "mood", if must be maybe look at more interesting examples like Artemide "Boalum" or Santa y Cole "Cesta", etc., many other variants. To me those Iitala "Putki" look very Pottery Barn generic [bold GE's emphasis]

Well, one blog from Sweden called them fönsterarmaturs, i.e. window lamps. I think this was their sole intended application, but then the powers that be tried expand their market reach.

I think the clear lamps wouldn't look very Pottery Barn in person since it's mouth blown glass. Believe it or not, many things escape my powers of observation, but high quality glass is not one of them. I'd say proper judgement of these lamps inheres on the quality of the glass itself is, since these lamps are nothing more than reverent glass worship.

I'd wager though that retail versions wouldn't be that great, but the non-retail versions would be boss. However, very, very selective applications: wouldn't work well for 99% of spaces.

Also, the Boalum is cool because it reminds me of getting laid, back when I used to get laid, at bad Berlin art galleries circa 2010, bad Williamsburg warehouse shows circa 2000, and good small get togethers at Paulie Shore's house circa 1990.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Recently purchased the IC Floor Lamp from Flos based on recommendations in this thread and couldn't be happier. It's the smaller size in brass but provides plenty of needed light in my living room. It's well built and the designs feels like it would fit right at home in a variety of decor. Might consider a second one for my bedroom down the line.

FLSP88537
We have it too. Such a great piece

R-O-T

Attachments

• BB9E4FD5-BD81-405B-AA4B-D526A27F1DA1.png
    BB9E4FD5-BD81-405B-AA4B-D526A27F1DA1.png
    792.8 KB · Views: 67

soender

Reaction score
Use the Iittala Teema series, as tableware myself. Works great with modern glass and flatware designs. Lasts forever.
That said, I'd prefer Knabstrup Keramik, over KH Würtz.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both look like a total train wreck, but the chairs in the first picture work better with the table.

I'd put back the chairs and just clear the wall.

A pic of the whole room would give members a better idea of what's really going on (we need to know its shape and size). I'd also say those outlets are oddly positioned, and make decorating the wall a bit more of a challenge that one might suspect.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both look like a total train wreck, but the chairs in the first picture work better with the table.

A pic of the whole room would give members a better idea of what's really going on (we need to know its shape and size). I'd also say those outlets are oddly positioned, and make decorating the wall a bit more of a challenge that one might suspect.

disagree.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It’s a small place. The plastic chairs and mirror have been donated.

A shot of when I first moved in.
3BE88E3C-947E-4EB0-AA73-DDD0EA3222B4.jpeg

E8FA0383-56DC-49AA-B7B9-02CDCD4B1EEF.jpeg

628FF3A0-0D21-4E44-8269-78A677838062.jpeg

409382E2-8FBA-40A1-9BD6-A8ACD0EBC260.jpeg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the changes are an improvement @lordsuperb. The pendant feels a bit small and too high for this area. I think that a beautiful pendant (something with a lot of personality) that clears 3’ above the table will make this dining area quite nice.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What bothers me, outside of the painting, is something very subjective. I don't like pairing light colored woods with non-wood black materials or stone. (In general, the less wood is paired with stone, the better). Below are some example from V's beloved AD that I have contempt for. I'll show you what I mean:
1604243664061.png

I think the decorator here strains to make this setup work. The chairs pair with the base of the table, and the light fixture and artwork on the wall ties in with the light and dark concept. So while it works on a purely theoretical level (in a way LS' setup does not), the contrast feels like it is contrast for contrast's sake.

In LS's case, since he has fabric chairs, he could have made it work better by having darker legs. When I upvoted his selection for green saarinen chairs, I assumed he'd go with darker legs, not what appears to be oak. Obviously though, this all very subjective.

1604244266442.png

Imagine paying money for somebody to play a joke of this magnitude? The spirit of the chairs are referenced in the other pieces of the room, but they do violence to the saarinen table. I feel that black chairs with chrome legs and a dark cupboard were an obvious and superior choice. There are perhaps better choices to be sure, that require a lot of thinking, but if you don't like to think go with the obvious. Also, the rug, which I will not start in on. I classify this as a train wreck on an order higher than Lord Supreme's. Occupying such a space would give me a perma-Mrs.Lincoln-migraine.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the changes are an improvement @lordsuperb. The pendant feels a bit small and too high for this area. I think that a beautiful pendant (something with a lot of personality) that clears 3’ above the table will make this dining area quite nice.

Yeah, its the first thing that caught my eye when I switched out the mirror for the painting. I should've had this stuff figured out from the get go but I've been busy buying clothes from NMWA!

1604250012679.png

1604250067904.png

What bothers me, outside of the painting, is something very subjective. I don't like pairing light colored woods with non-wood black materials or stone. (In general, the less wood is paired with stone, the better). Below are some example from V's beloved AD that I have contempt for. I'll show you what I mean:
View attachment 1488397

I think the decorator here strains to make this setup work. The chairs pair with the base of the table, and the light fixture and artwork on the wall ties in with the light and dark concept. So while it works on a purely theoretical level (in a way LS' setup does not), the contrast feels like it is contrast for contrast's sake.

In LS's case, since he has fabric chairs, he could have made it work better by having darker legs. When I upvoted his selection for green saarinen chairs, I assumed he'd go with darker legs, not what appears to be oak. Obviously though, this all very subjective.

View attachment 1488404

Imagine paying money for somebody to play a joke of this magnitude? The spirit of the chairs are referenced in the other pieces of the room, but they do violence to the saarinen table. I feel that black chairs with chrome legs and a dark cupboard were an obvious and superior choice. There are perhaps better choices to be sure, that require a lot of thinking, but if you don't like to think go with the obvious. Also, the rug, which I will not start in on. I classify this as a train wreck on an order higher than Lord Supreme's. Occupying such a space would give me a perma-Mrs.Lincoln-migraine.

A work in progress for sure, but I'm happy with the chair legs. I took everyone's recommendation in adding the folding chair.

IMG_9861.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads