• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We knew that we weren't going to use our "nice" china, we still spent hours and hours picking it out, and surprise surprise we have literally never used it. Plus we have tons of nice hand-me-down china from extended family, including plates with cool dragons on them that we used to use but my wife never liked that much.

Our everyday stuff is plain white and from Gien, and we do actually use that everyday.

But I concur - should have registered for stoneware.
We force ourselves to use our nice china, but we went with a modern pattern that was in production for like 15 minutes. Never use the mugs and saucers, though. Not really coffee after dinner people.

WSW

Reaction score
Dinnerware, anyone? Looking for something simple but high quality; durable but not rustic.

I like these stoneware dishes from Jono Pandolfi:

View attachment 1485696

View attachment 1485697

They are hand-thrown and US-made, which is a plus to me—and local nonetheless. A lot of NYC restaurants use them (Nomad, EMP, Jean George, etc.).

Price is $140 for a four-piece place setting.

They look great! Interestingly enough, their promo photos show Cutipol flatware.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
@TheFoo is your Knoll sofa the regular one or the relaxed? Wondering what the comfort level is like for everyday use (TV watching, lounging, etc.) since it's on my shortlist.

my wife's first office had Knoll sofas all through the studio. I got to spend some considerable time with them. Was also top of our sofa list when we did the Ikea replacement.

I love the look. Horribly uncomfortable, all of them were.

Have also sat in Foofs though did not find uncomfortable.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We used our china and crystal pretty consistently when entertaining in the years between getting married and having children. In recent years it’s come out mostly for Christmas dinner. For a solid decade it was packed away because almost all of our entertaining involved small children.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think my parents picked right.

The Dansk wedding plates make it to every day use. The Christmas dinner plates are now from some great stoneware set snagged at a thrift shop.

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
I'm currently having the Raami vs Kartio debate with myself after reading through the glassware discussion from a few pages back.

On the subject of Iittala, thoughts on the Putki lamp by Matti Klenell?

Iittala_2020_Putki_1056362_1056363.jpg

home-design.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm currently having the Raami vs Kartio debate with myself after reading through the glassware discussion from a few pages back.

On the subject of Iittala, thoughts on the Putki lamp by Matti Klenell?

Iittala_2020_Putki_1056362_1056363.jpg

home-design.jpg

What is intended use?

There a lot of cool looking lighting objects out there, but many have little to no functional benefit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We used our china and crystal pretty consistently when entertaining in the years between getting married and having children. In recent years it’s come out mostly for Christmas dinner. For a solid decade it was packed away because almost all of our entertaining involved small children.

I think my parents picked right.

The Dansk wedding plates make it to every day use. The Christmas dinner plates are now from some great stoneware set snagged at a thrift shop.

I don’t believe in spending money on stuff to hold back. The good stuff should be the stuff you use. If it’s too expensive to risk breakage, it’s too expensive, period. That’s why I’m not looking at $300 Lobmeyr glasses.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look very comfy.
but the chairs resemble something @edmorel would know his way around with a bit too much for me.......
You should talk to someone about that!

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solely mood/aesthetic - not expecting to use it for reading

Seems like they look their best as a set near windows. Doesn't seem they offer the bigger sizes at retail.

Here's a quote from a vendor:

"At Nationalmuseum, the lamps are placed in groups on the museum restaurant’s windowsills, where their undulating surface filters both the light emitted by the bulb and the natural light coming in from the windows. “I have always been intrigued by light and lighting design, the connection between immaterial and the material. I try to treat the light almost like a material itself, as I find it the most beautiful immaterial phenomenon in the world,” Klenell has said."

1603921942216.png

hayaoyamaneko

Reaction score
Seems like they look their best as a set near windows. Doesn't seem they offer the bigger sizes at retail.

Here's a quote from a vendor:

"At Nationalmuseum, the lamps are placed in groups on the museum restaurant’s windowsills, where their undulating surface filters both the light emitted by the bulb and the natural light coming in from the windows. “I have always been intrigued by light and lighting design, the connection between immaterial and the material. I try to treat the light almost like a material itself, as I find it the most beautiful immaterial phenomenon in the world,” Klenell has said."

View attachment 1486251

Thanks for this - it aligns with what I was thinking, though I'd have to make do with 1 or 2 at most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads