• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the whole meme of "IKEA furniture is so complicated to put together", have you people never had LEGO? Anyway like sugar said, just go feel the stuff and you're unlikely to make a bad choice.

I have in my apartment:
- IVAR shelving in my wardrobes
- METOD kitchen which we've discussed before already
- Laminate countertop as floating desktop, held up by two large angle brackets mounted to my wall
- LISABO dining table
- ENHET bathroom cabinet
- PAX wardrobes in my hallway
- ÄPPLARÖ combined bench and storage on my balcony
- MÄSTERBY step stool
- LINDBYN mirrors in both my living room and bathroom (these are honestly fantastic for the price)

Very happy with everything for the money I spent. Sure the PAX and METOD aren't as sturdy on their own as the rest of the stuff, but it's all firmly attached to it's surroundings and will be included in the sale of the apartment in a few years so it also doesn't matter as much as a dining table or chairs.

Also, a bit late to the discussion but here's my noname cutlery of choice, from swedish furniture chain Mio.
1603832732084.png

48 pieces for 100$~, stainless steel, looks good, feels nice, works great :thumbs-up:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
All-in-one multitaskers are a fool’s errand. Get a chair and dispenser each fit for purpose.

well by dispenser i kept open ended. could be on a side table. Or wall mounted is an option as well. On the note of mounting when there will be none done in practice, a mount to secure a tissue box would be idea else you have a "just **** the box while it's here" situation.

i would imagine cloth would be out of the picture and leather would need certain considerations (no fabric creases for instance), while other easy to clean surfaces would be cold and jarring to the buttox.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I also got this SUNNERSTA kitchen organizer, which I honestly love
1603833766948.png

I dont know about y'all but I like keeping my countertop clean, so for less than 20$ and without any need for permanent screw holes (it just stays in place thanks to tension) it works perfectly for my needs.

(Excuse the toilet roll, I didn't have any paper towels around when I "installed" it :laugh: )

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, but have you had to move any of it yet?

We only bought any of this because we aren't moving anywhere. I think I'm probably a fair bit older than you and my multiple experiences of moving Ikea stuff certainly bears out what you're saying. Funnily enough one of my earliest memories is of being in the ball pool at Ikea in Oslo in around 1976, so Ikea and I go back a long way...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have an IKEA table which we bought nearly twenty years ago which has been assembled/disassembled/reassembled countless times, gone to live with two different friends, and finally came back to us several years ago. It's currently in pieces in my garage in advance of being given away via the local FB buy nothing group. It should serve its new owner well for many years.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dinnerware, anyone? Looking for something simple but high quality; durable but not rustic.

I like these stoneware dishes from Jono Pandolfi:

EF0CDC56-ACD4-4F63-B400-2DE23883F515.jpeg

815591AF-663B-4898-8493-99DF27B06240.jpeg

They are hand-thrown and US-made, which is a plus to me—and local nonetheless. A lot of NYC restaurants use them (Nomad, EMP, Jean George, etc.).

Price is $140 for a four-piece place setting.

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinnerware, anyone? Looking for something simple but high quality; durable but not rustic.

View attachment 1485696

View attachment 1485697

They are hand-thrown and US-made, which is a plus to me—and local nonetheless. A lot of NYC restaurants use these (Nomad, EMP, Jean George, etc.).

Those are nice, and pretty rustic, IMHO.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

View attachment 1485696

View attachment 1485697

They are hand-thrown and US-made, which is a plus to me—and local nonetheless. A lot of NYC restaurants use them (Nomad, EMP, Jean George, etc.).

This may not be a very practical recommendation in terms of being able to source them, but we use KH Würz ceramics

Beautiful, hand-thrown by a father and son team in Denmark. They are used at Noma among other places

R-O-T

Attachments

• CE7F9A49-BC6B-41F9-9D0B-B4CABB0CBFB7.jpeg
    CE7F9A49-BC6B-41F9-9D0B-B4CABB0CBFB7.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 25

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This may not be a very practical recommendation in terms of being able to source them, but we use KH Würz ceramics

Beautiful, hand-thrown by a father and son team in Denmark. They are used at Noma among other places

R-O-T

Thanks—yes, I’m familiar with KH Würz. Candidly, prices are higher than I want to pay for dishes I need to put to use everyday with kids at the table. How is durability? Part of what appeals about the Jono Pandolfi stuff is the reputed toughness.

Maybe the right path is place settings from Jono and individual, larger pieces from makers like KH Würz.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Thanks—yes, I’m familiar with KH Würz. Candidly, prices are higher than I want to pay for dishes I need to put to use everyday with kids at the table. How is durability? Part of what appeals about the Jono Pandolfi stuff is the reputed toughness.

Maybe the right path is place settings from Jono and individual, larger pieces from makers like KH Würz.

Durability is pretty good - we have chipped a few pieces over the course of the last five years - but mainly due to our own clumsiness. They are heavy, though, if that would be an issue. Our children are 11 and 13 so not really a problem

R-O-T

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is Dansk Ingram from Bloomingdale's. Negatives are the mug shape (which I just wouldn't buy), there's no large bowl, and it never seems to be in stock. The pasta bowl thing has kept me from pulling the trigger.

1603894427666.png

I do like the Jono Pandolfi set, but unless you're dead set on that color of clay, I'd go with one directly from him (vs. that Food52 set) because you can get more pieces.

1603894853490.png

I think with the flatware you chose, stoneware is probably a better choice than bone china, also. With some of the sleeker flatware, bone china would work better.

brokencycle

Reaction score

View attachment 1485696

View attachment 1485697

It is a nice looking set of dishes. I don't see how which NYC restaurants use them is noteworthy or important to the decision making process though.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is Dansk Ingram from Bloomingdale's. Negatives are the mug shape (which I just wouldn't buy), there's no large bowl, and it never seems to be in stock. The pasta bowl thing has kept me from pulling the trigger.

View attachment 1485865

I do like the Jono Pandolfi set, but unless you're dead set on that color of clay, I'd go with one directly from him (vs. that Food52 set) because you can get more pieces.

I need more rim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads