• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have mixed colour Artek Chair 69, like this (this is not our place BTW):
Aalto-Table-rectanqular-82B-Chair-69-Tea-Trolley-900-Pendant-Light-A331-Beehive-Stool-60.jpg

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my opinion, the risk for bizarre to bad is high.

Sometimes: Various colors of the same design, if in plastic or upholstery, can be OK (but can also look overdone or far just too "cute", can get tiring).

Never: Various colors of the same design, in leather or wood, always looks terrible.

Never, except: Mis-matched designs, whether the same color or not...no, never, and why?
(Unless one is still in college or slowly accumulating the same design piece by single piece over time as @Kaplan in the post quoted above.)
I was going to say different armchairs vs. side chairs can work, but I'm having trouble finding good examples. It's harder to pull off than it seems. (I don't consider armchair and side chair from the same family "mismatched," as in this pic.)

1603744958927.png

This is the only legit mismatch I found that I think works, at least in theory. It's because the shapes are similar.

1603745046728.png

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the new 7 series colors and thought it could look good to mix earthy tones
View attachment 1484958
Yes, those could look good in various colors imo.
The odd choice is with typical 4 chairs: what color combinations? 1 + 1 + 1 + 1? 2 + 2? Etc? Not so simple.
It gets easier with more than 4 chairs.
But, depends also the context: floor, wall, table, etc colors too.

retinafaucet

Reaction score
Yes, those could look good in various colors imo.
The odd choice is with typical 4 chairs: what color combinations? 1 + 1 + 1 + 1? 2 + 2? Etc? Not so simple.
It gets easier with more than 4 chairs.
But, depends also the context: floor, wall, table, etc colors too.

Ya that's what I'm afraid of, especially when I look longingly at the catalogue where everything is of a piece with everything else, and perfectly lit, then I see the same furniture in household settings and don't get the same vibe. I tend to be very safe and neutral because I either don't know any better or I know that sometimes my color palette is influenced by my mood that day and I'll regret it later.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say different armchairs vs. side chairs can work, but I'm having trouble finding good examples. It's harder to pull off than it seems. (I don't consider armchair and side chair from the same family "mismatched," as in this pic.)

View attachment 1485063
I agree that arm versus armless/side of the same design is not at all a mis-match. After all in many 8 seat combinations, the 2 (or 1 in some cases) head chairs are arm, the other 6/7 not. There is a "head of the table" primacy which is longstanding and logical.

Arm vs armless of different designs though is often if not always odd and unattractive.
This is the only legit mismatch that I think works, at least in theory. It's because the shapes are similar.

View attachment 1485064
I disagree regarding different bases. I think that mis-matched bases (colors, materials, shapes), including for example the various Eames or Knoll bases with same seats and your second image above (the material disjunction is also jarring), are awkward and incoherent (and again raise the question "why?")

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya that's what I'm afraid of, especially when I look longingly at the catalogue where everything is of a piece with everything else, and perfectly lit, then I see the same furniture in household settings and don't get the same vibe. I tend to be very safe and neutral because I either don't know any better or I know that sometimes my color palette is influenced by my mood that day and I'll regret it later.
Exactly.
There is certainly no need, or even great benefit in my opinion, to use different colors in 4 or fewer chairs, just "because". Using 4 chairs of the same (hopefully beautiful) color is not "bland".

Forget the seduction presented in the magazines; that is not your world. Find the color somewhere else, in a rug, art, lamps, tableware, etc.

Again I think mixing dining chair colors is more risky than not. That's my advice, aka "KISS; keep it simple and straightforward".

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are there any other sofas out there that have a metal frame around the bottom, like the LC3 or Florence Knoll?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any other sofas out there that have a metal frame around the bottom, like the LC3 or Florence Knoll?
Spectrum BR02 (Martin Visser) definitely. Polished or black. Beautiful. Ours is 20 years old, polished, looks new.

Herman Miller "Eames Compact".

Various Cassina, B&B Italia, etc.

Older Modernica "Split Rail" (the new models are wood frame only, unfortunately; the steel frames were much nicer).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say different armchairs vs. side chairs can work, but I'm having trouble finding good examples. It's harder to pull off than it seems.

When I said we had mixed colour Artek chairs above, I should have mentioned we also have a couple of Wegner wishbone chairs mixed in there. Strangely enough because they are so different it works well - or maybe we are just used to it.

kevenmee

Reaction score
Are people still shopping for new office chairs? Wirecutter's top pick, the Steelcase Gesture, is on sell at Amazon for a good price if you don't mind black fabric. These rarely go this low.

Anybody have these and have feedback to offer? Worn out my 150 dollar staples chair from WFH and looking to upgrade.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody have these and have feedback to offer? Worn out my 150 dollar staples chair from WFH and looking to upgrade.
Find an office furniture liquidator near you, try some chairs, buy some sort of steelcase, haworth, or Herman Miller chair for $200-400.

Huge savings so long as they have something you like.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Milo Baugham comes to mind as well, but he didn't do it in great abundance.

@venessian -- You've long been repping that Visser daybed/sofa pretty hard. Never used one myself. Looks cool, but how do you deal with the no arms situation?

I've seen photos where it looks like there's an ad hoc pillow that looks like it functions as an arm. I have hard time imagining lying down on the sofa in comfort. Do you use it more as couch for socializing with guests and/or a place for guests to sleep?

1603774270395.png

shortlefty

Reaction score
Going to get my first apartment myself. Have no furniture, what brands should I look out for in second hand classifieds? No specific style in mind, just want quality pieces that are hopefully affordable for someone that is a few years out of college (no debt, moderately well paying job)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics